Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 16:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 12 of 95 [1423 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 93, 94, 95 Next
elroy

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 15:34    Post subject:  

Just as a heads up for everyone that is following this thread. Within the next couple days we will be changing the main post of this thread (the 1st post) into a table of contents. We feel that this will make it easier for users to find what they're looking for. Also, I'm about 2/3'rds of the way finished with creating a newb friendly tutorial on how to install the AMD/ATI graphic driver on Carolina. We're also getting closer to the release of Carolina-002. Included in 002 will be all of the firmware that was missing in 001, all of the patches that were offered for 001, with the latest versions of Firefox/Thunderbird, the latest version of flash offered for linux, and the latest release of the pup-volume-monitor, along with a few other minor enhancements.

Unfortunately, peebee's additions will have to wait until 003. I wanted to add them to 002, but I ran out of time to test them thoroughly.

If you've created wallpaper for Carolina, or are creating wallpaper, please submit your final versions by the 17th of October.
linux

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 17:08    Post subject:  

Not sure if this is your style but feel free to use this high res 1920 x 1200 wallpaper if you like it. Royalty free my own image...

Thanks again for your time
green.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  green.jpg 
Filesize  294.4 KB 
Downloaded  462 Time(s) 
yerc1

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 22:55    Post subject: [SOLVED] Suspend and Hibernate  

I have just now checked Carolina's suspend and hibernate options on my Aspire One netbook.
Both options don't work.

I have not tested on other machines as Saluki 023 can bring the netbook on suspend/ hibernate

Last edited by yerc1 on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 14:56; edited 1 time in total
PenPen

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 04:09    Post subject: Wallpaper
Subject description: In tribute to jemimah

In tribute to jemimah for all the effort she put into Saluki.
SalukiCarolina.JPG
Description  From the old to the new
jpg

Download 
Filename  SalukiCarolina.JPG 
Filesize  128.48 KB 
Downloaded  459 Time(s) 
rg66

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 07:52    Post subject:  

elroy wrote:
rg66 wrote:
Here's a wallpaper for Carolina. The original image is from http://www.publicdomainpictures.net so there should be no problem.

Edit: Updated with the better logo and added another wallpaper with the "howling carolina".

Very nice!

EDIT: I want to use these with Carolina-002, perhaps one of them as the default. The only thing I'd suggest is moving the logo up 5 to 10 pixels so that it doesn't interfere with the task-bar. Other than that, I find it very tasteful. Well done!

Thanks Elroy, it would be an honour to see these in the next release.

I noticed on both my comps, one being a wide screen, that I had to set the style to "stretch" for it to display properly on Saluki or Windows. The logo was either partially under the taskbar or off the side of the screen.

Anyway, I did redo them in the original size and the logo higher up. See my original post for the edited wallpapers.

elroy

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 09:35    Post subject: Re: Suspend and Hibernate  

yerc1 wrote:
I have just now checked Carolina's suspend and hibernate options on my Aspire One netbook.
Both options don't work.

I have not tested on other machines as Saluki 023 can bring the netbook on suspend/ hibernate

Hi yerc1,

Fortunately I have one of those. Suspend worked for me on both my Aspire and my Toshiba Satellite laptop. Both of my machines have frugal installs on the hard-drive.

On the Toshiba, hibernate caused the system to shut-down without saving to the savefile. On my Aspire, I get a message that states - "You must create a swap space large enough to hold the contents of your RAM before you can hibernate". It appears that a very large swap space would be required for this to work correctly. That would be something that is created when the medium is formatted. If you're using a pen-drive, this could also cause the pen-drive to have a much shorter life-span. If you're using a hard-drive, reformatting may not be an option if you have Windows or other things installed you don't wish to lose or have to re-install.

EDIT: I booted up Saluki-023 without a savefile on my Aspire one. Suspend did nothing, and hibernate gave me the same warning about needing a larger swap space.
shelezyaka

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 11:41    Post subject:  

LSHW - utility shows the characteristics of the equipment is installed on your computer,and also connected to it.
Large database.
Link to download the package - http://yadi.sk/d/O4iQSOM40D2Qj
elroy

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 12:51    Post subject:  

shelezyaka wrote:
LSHW - utility shows the characteristics of the equipment is installed on your computer,and also connected to it.

Thanks. Added to the repo.
elroy

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 13:33    Post subject:  

broadcom_wl_delta-k3.2.13-ski.pet and xdelta3-30p-carolina.pet have been added to the repo. They will also be included in carolina-002.
yerc1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 15:20    Post subject: Re: Suspend and Hibernate  

elroy wrote:
yerc1 wrote:
Both options don't work.

Hi yerc1,

Fortunately I have one of those. Suspend worked for me on both my Aspire and my Toshiba Satellite laptop. Both of my machines have frugal installs on the hard-drive.

It could be something I was doing prior to testing as just now, giving both options another go prove they ARE working on Carolina. I don't usually use these options but it's nice to know they work for when the need arises.

I multiboot Carolina and Saluki off the same pendrive and using Swap on the hard drive.

By the way, I like seeing Table of Contents in the main post. It makes finding information so much easier.

Keep up the good work.
Once again thanks for Carolina!
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 17:06    Post subject: updating service fixes to Caroline  

I have noticed on the download site that some of the files are presented as .001, .002, etc.

Question
  • Are these files "iterative" or are they "cumulative"?
  • Is there any thought to including a tool such as the "Update" desktop tool that TaZoC has been including in Lighthouse for some time which makes addressing system issues ?
Thanks in advance

elroy

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 17:20    Post subject: Re: updating service fixes to Caroline  

gcmartin wrote:
I have noticed on the download site that some of the files are presented as .001, .002, etc.

Question
  • Are these files "iterative" or are they "cumulative"?
  • Is there any thought to including a tool such as the "Update" desktop tool that TaZoC has been including in Lighthouse for some time which makes addressing system issues ?
Thanks in advance

I can only assume that you're referring to the patch files. Yes, they're cumulative. There's already a tool that you can download (it will be included in carolina-002) that will automatically download and install the necessary patch file. Look at the first post on this thread, under the "Patches" link.
rg66

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 19:56    Post subject:  

Wanted to uninstall some stuff but almost all of the apps in the applications menu are not listed in the remove builtin packages list, same with gnewpet. The builtin_files folder is missing them.

Also, Bulk Rename is not in the app menu. I changed Categories=Filesystem to FileSystem (capitol S) in the desktop file and it appeared.

elroy

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 21:42    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:
Wanted to uninstall some stuff but almost all of the apps in the applications menu are not listed in the remove builtin packages list, same with gnewpet. The builtin_files folder is missing them.

Also, Bulk Rename is not in the app menu. I changed Categories=Filesystem to FileSystem (capitol S) in the desktop file and it appeared.

Those are issues that have been fixed for 002. Both Geoffrey and I were aware of the builtin packages list errors, and those have been corrected for the new release. I noticed the Bulk Rename missing icon earlier today and fixed it for 002. The new release will be available within the next couple days. I apologize for the inconvenience, but the adrive for 001 was highly customized, and it introduced the package list errors. For 002, we went back to using the custom builder to create the adrive, and this provides the necessary files for gnewpet to work correctly.
rg66

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 22:51    Post subject:  

No prob, can manually uninstall if need be, but will probably wait for 002.

If I could make a suggestion to make Carolina look a bit nicer (in my opinion anyway), the soothe theme from the repo gives a transparent look to the windows buttons which looks much better than the usual grey.
soothe-1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   7.77 KB
 Viewed   629 Time(s)

soothe-1.jpg

soothe.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   11.14 KB
 Viewed   659 Time(s)

soothe.jpg

Page 12 of 95 [1423 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..., 93, 94, 95 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: