Serious xorgwizard problem..[SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
olewilly

Serious xorgwizard problem..[SOLVED]

#1 Post by olewilly »

Hi

I have made a full hd install of Puppy Lucid 528 to this old Compaq Deskpro EN from 2000 with 384Mb 133MHz sdram.
The setup worked ok for a long time but now I am only able to start via the originally burned cd. The cd choses automatically the vesa driver. But if I run xorgwizard and choose vesa from the hd it fails. No matter what I choose I can not get back to the original setup :?:
How can I repair the setup using the live cd which I am using right now :?:

OW
Last edited by olewilly on Tue 16 Oct 2012, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Success is not more !
Success is better !

capicoso

#2 Post by capicoso »

Afaik, the xorgwizard reconstructs xorg.conf. Xorg.conf generates an auto backup file, named xorg.conf.bak if i remember well. The xorg.conf files are in /etc/X11/
You could try renaming the actual xorg.conf to something like xorg.conf.bad. And rename the xorg.conf.bak file to xorg.conf.
Or you could just open xorg.conf.bak as a text and copy all, paste all on xorg.conf.

olewilly

#3 Post by olewilly »

Hi capicoso

I have already tried what You suggested. I could not get it to work. Then I have also tried to replace the xorg.conf on the hd with xorg.conf made by the live cd. It did not work either :?:

OW
Success is not more !
Success is better !

capicoso

#4 Post by capicoso »

I'm out of ideas ahah :roll:

What error does it throw?

I didn't use full install anymore, but if i remember well you can try to fix the install with the live cd right? I think it's in puppy universal installer, upgrade or something like that. When my full installs got screwed i used to do that on lucid puppy and always saved me.

olewilly

#5 Post by olewilly »

Hi capisoco

Thank You very much for reply. My Puppy is back again :D I also remembered the situation from another machinery. I used univeral installer in the same way as initial experiments and I updated rebooted and this time chose the vesa in xorgwizard and this time it worked :D

OW
Success is not more !
Success is better !