Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Greatnessguru

SeaMonkey 2.13.1: important SVG bug fixed

#761 Post by Greatnessguru »

Barry,
Please be sure to include SeaMonkey 2.13.1.

SeaMonkey 2.12.x has a nasty SVG bug:
Bug 790144 - SVG "stroke" hangs SeaMonkey 2.12.x and Firefox 15.0.x. Regression.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=790144

That hang seems to happen with any SVG file
containing any kind of line that also has the
"stroke" thingy specified, which is needed
for the line to appear!

Therefor, I would classify SeaMonkey 2.13.1
as an "Essential bug fix".

Thank you very much,
Eddie Maddox

Ray MK

#762 Post by Ray MK »

Report Video 1.3 - Wed 17 Oct 2012 on Precise Puppy 5.3.96 - Linux 3.2.29 i686

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
oem: Intel(r)852MG/852MGE/855MG/855MGE Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)852MG/852MGE/855MG/855MGE Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel
X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Generally all seems good - very nicely setup - (fonts etc)
FYI - sys-report.
Attachments
sys-info-121017.gz
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 917 times
report-video-full.gz
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 885 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

aragon

#763 Post by aragon »

The actual choice of the coulour-sheme might attract some, but in my opinion it's a little usability-nightmare.

As an example please try to find the marked text in the attached pic. For my eyesight it's nearly impossible.

aragon

mikeslr

Revised Report & Just Following Suit

#764 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Guys:

My initial report, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 725#658725 indicated the absence of problems even though my computer has Ati Radeon 3100 Graphics. In the main, this is still correct. However, I noticed that sometimes the colors used in dialogues made them difficult to read. See attached. So I decided to experiment to find out if any of the amd_fglrx drivers might work, even though they weren't built for this kernel. [In Exprimo, the driver built under the 3.4.2 kernel actually worked with the 3.6.2 kernel]. Neither amd_fglrx-12.8-precise-k3.2.28 nor k3.2.29 worked. Both rendered the OS sort of unstable: to activate the driver, you have to exit X and type aticonfig --initial; exiting X hung the system. Closest was the aforementioned fglrx driver from Exprimo. It just sometimes reduced graphics to a crawl.

@ ozsouth: There are obvious advantages to having a Puppy which is able to utilize Ubuntu application binaries. But Puppy isn't Ubuntu. We are not trying to compete with Windows7 by providing an alternative fancy and equally bloated system. Puppy's advantage, whether employed on modern, state-of-the-art, or older, resource-limited computers is its low-ram & CPU usage and the ease with which applications can be initiated. With the possible exception of hardware drivers, there are no applications which if built under PAE-enabled kernels won't run on non-PAE enabled kernels. The only advantage a PAE-enabled kernel has over a non-PAE enabled kernel-with-smp is that the former can make use of more than 4GB of RAM. That advantage is of little significance in an OS designed to function with as little as 128 to 256 Megs of RAM, and fly with 1Gb of RAM. As far as I know, there are no computers which can manage more than 4Gbs of RAM which aren't also able to handle 64-bit operating systems. Comparison tests between software run under PAE-enabled and non-PAE-but-smp-enabled computers reveal at best an imperceptible (mili-second) advantage to the former in some cases, and even a disadvantage in others, while 64-bit systems have a clear advantage. So while it makes sense to build 64-bit systems, and 32-bit-smp-enabled systems, it is unlikely that there are a significant number of computers users which actually would benefit from a PAE-enabled system. And certainly not using a Puppy.
T2 builds such as Quirky/Racy or even Carolina are not substitutes for a Ubuntu-binary-compatible Puppy. As building a non-PAE Ubuntu compatible Puppy is possible --it's already been done a couple of times with the 3 Series Kernels-- and as Barry K is an innovator rather than a follower, as I said before I hope he reconsiders concentrating his efforts on a PAE-enabled kernel.

mikesLr
Attachments
ColorProblem.jpg
At-Radeon Color Problem
(27.38 KiB) Downloaded 2439 times

666philb

#765 Post by 666philb »

hi mikeslr,

i believe your radeon 3100 card requires a different driver , amd now have two drivers, and the one i compilied and is in the repo, is the wrong driver for you. i didn't realise there where 2 drivers for amd or i would have mentioned it on my post. http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx

the driver is easy enough to compile it yourself, a .pet would be nice though :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

pemasu

#766 Post by pemasu »

Yep. There is at least 12.6 and 12.8 for different graphics, depending is it for desktop or laptop/dual graphics.
Nowadays it would be useful to check the needed version from this page:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

First you need to know what ati graphics you have.
# lspci |grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood [Radeon HD 5600 Series] (rev ff)

Yeah....I have dual graphics, makes things really interesting in Puppy world.

I believe mikeslr would have ATI HD 3100, and possibly he uses desktop, lets put those specs in the above link and Display results: AMD Catalyst™ 12.6 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

...and my ATI needs: AMD Catalyst™ 12.8 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

Yeah....different package. It really is useful to check the needed package first before downloading and testing it.

By the way....If you rename the package to ati.run, you need just ./ati.run in X, choose Generate distribution spesific package, choose slackware, run it, grab the created /fglrx-install.f1XXXX/packages/Slackware/_working_directory_ ie the working directory and copy it safe with all stuff inside, rename the working directory as suitable, decompress the created fglrx.ko.gz in its folder and dir2pet the renamed working directory. And do that before you exit from the gui, otherwise all the extracted stuff will be deleted.
It might even work.
Last edited by pemasu on Wed 17 Oct 2012, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

artsown

Still have video and wireless problems with rc1

#767 Post by artsown »

Test machines are both older Dell towers, one a Precision 330 and the other a Dimension 2350. Both have P4 cpus at 1.7 and 1.8 ghz. Both have 768 meg RAM. One has a Intel 82845G graphics controller and the other a Nvidia PCI card. Precise seems to correctly identify the video hardware
but .... the old black screen at startup occurs randomly on both machines, and it happens fairly often. The GUI is still useable when this occurs since the toolbar at the bottom is ok (menu is available, etc.) Then sometimes restarting X works. Sometimes trying Vesa doesn't work at all (Completely
white screen).

RC1 is still sorta flakey establishing wireless connection as well. I've managed to get it working by trying SNS repeatedly and when actually
connected to create the .2fs file. After that and reboot, it may or may not restart connected but one more connect finally does the trick. (It would be nice if Puppies had a green "connected ok" icon).

No such problems with other Puppies. Latest Lucid and Luci in particular work very well on these machines. Best of all is Luci which seems to be a bit faster that Lucid.

Art

James C

Re: PAE & non-PAE

#768 Post by James C »

ozsouth wrote:Guys, this is based on Ubuntu, which now has a policy of only issuing PAE versions, due to most PCs being able to run it. I think Barry is simply following suit.
Not all buntu's....... Lubuntu 12.04 32-bit or Xubuntu 12.04 32-bit; both of these use a non-PAE kernel by default.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/117744/h ... ures-not-p

James C

#769 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install on the Athlon XP box. No real problems.......display,sound and internet working on initial boot.

# report-video
Report Video 1.3 - Wed 17 Oct 2012 on Precise Puppy 5.3.96 - Linux 3.2.29 i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
1393 frames in 5.0 seconds = 278.499 FPS
2164 frames in 5.0 seconds = 432.653 FPS
2103 frames in 5.0 seconds = 420.447 FPS
2167 frames in 5.0 seconds = 433.352 FPS
1993 frames in 5.0 seconds = 398.483 FPS
2036 frames in 5.0 seconds = 407.129 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1034MB (205MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 17 Oct 2012 03:23:59 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI nv18 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

`f00

#770 Post by `f00 »

precise 5.3.96 (rc1) - first look..

Needed "puppy radeon.modeset=0" bootcode for useable display on my hardware - if bootcode not entered, display goes illegible (repeated gray/green scrunched lines) after "Loading kernel modules...".

primary p/s2 mouse correctly recognized and useable in initial quickset (dropdowns ok as well)

Default primarily-white backdrop looks clean, but initial help page has no visible border on it. Neon icon theme is a nice change.

Same minor errs as in 5395. FFConvert and ffconvert in rox OpenWith. Pmount tabview incorrect with usb in optical tab and optical in second floppy tab.

Tried my personal sfs with the on-the-fly loader .. nice to have some other wms and etc just to see my preferred 'usual' for a comparison. Afterstep's gtk-handling is almost always more legible and less prone to the too-subtle vagaries in some apps (it's somewhat rare for everything to be be nicely contrasted all the time, some fields suffer and so on :| ). Personally I'm of the opinion that fltk and qt may be less problematic than gtk at times.

vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used, but also RV280 (switched off in BIOS - aka Radeon 9200SE), PCI (old-style)
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
boot/save method - liveCD multisession (cd-rw media)
limitations - no printer, no internet connection

futwerk

#771 Post by futwerk »

a few backgrounds.
Attachments
preciseot16,2s.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(139.81 KiB) Downloaded 2464 times
preciseot16,2.png
(136.94 KiB) Downloaded 2445 times
preciseot16,1r.png
(183.14 KiB) Downloaded 2433 times
preciseot16,1.png
(169.87 KiB) Downloaded 2378 times

mikeslr

Re Packaging your own Ati-Radeon Driver

#772 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks 666phib for the encouragement by suggesting it is easy.
Thanks pemasu for the detailed instructions.
I'll try them when I have enough time and patience to figure out what I'm doing wrong the first couple of tries.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." But then, you'd best also teach him how to swim.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Thu 18 Oct 2012, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#773 Post by pemasu »

mikeslr. My detailed instruction for compiling was more for packaging the catalyst driver.

For compiling and installing for your own usage:
You just need to download the according package, rename it as ati.run ( for making it easier to run the command ), make the package executable, by giving the package executable permissions, easy with rox right click, then logout from X, cd to the folder where your package is and execute: ./ati.run

You need to have devx sfs and kernel source sfs installed.

If everything goes fine, you have ati installed. Execute while still in console state ie do not start X, the command: aticonfig --initial and reboot. Cross the fingers and speak your favourite mandra.

LateAdopter

#774 Post by LateAdopter »

A bit of clarification on AMD drivers...

The number e.g. 12.6 only refers to the year.month of release. But there are two versions of the 12.6 release.

One is for DirectX11 cards. The other is tagged as "legacy" and is for DirectX10 cards. Older cards are not supported at all.

There is only a DX11 version of 12.8

---

The installer extracts its files in the same location in a temporary directory and are about 550MB. It also installs about 150MB.

If the .run file is inside the savefile then you need a lot of free space.

Surprisingly, the installer also worked when the .run file was outside the savefile in a FAT32 home partition. Then you only need space for the installation in the savefile. I think /tmp is outside the savefile.

---

If you have QT installed then you can execute the file with one click from Rox, and you don't need to rename it. But you still need to aticonfig --initial from a terminal.

---

I tested this on beta 6.

broomdodger

no boot with pupsave

#775 Post by broomdodger »

no boot with pupsave

IBM ThinkPad X30
Mobile Pentium III 1.2 GHz PAE
768 MB ram
(my favorite travel machine)

precise5396
boot from cd
frugal manual install

Both boot and run very well with NO save file.

After the save file, there comes problems:
1) if booted with pfix=fsck, generally it works well.
2) if booted without pfix=fsck, black screen, no tray, need to force shutdown.
This has been the case with ALL versions of precise.
3) if booted with pfix=fsck, and some sfs, java or dev,
added it will not boot again, need to force shutdown.

It seems like the save file is getting corrupted.

I like the simplicity of set the icons in precise5396.

precise5396 runs fine on the Acer TravelMate.

All other puppies I have ever tried on this machine have worked.
Currently using racy5300 or wary5300.
racy5300 is the winner.

bigpup

#776 Post by bigpup »

Live CD of Precise RC1
Save file on CD

Still get this on initial boot.

Dell desktop
Pentium 4 processor
Nvidia nv37gl Quadro video card

Boots to desktop
Some desktop program icons missing or half visible
no items visible in menus
Some program icons in taskbar, but not all
The icons/entry's that should be showing in menu and taskbar. You can put mouse pointer at the location where they should be and left click will run the program that should have an icon/entry at that location.

Have to run Xorgwizard and choose Vesa driver.
Reboot using Vesa driver.
Now have usable Desktop and menu.

Will also work if choose NV driver.

A new user would have no way of running Xorgwizard with the first desktop. I guess a reboot and booting with option puppy pfix=nox would be their option to run Xorgwizard.

The driver Precise is trying to use will not work with this video card.
Have to use Vesa or NV driver to get working desktop.
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 05:11, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#777 Post by James C »

Installed Conky and it's deps from the Ubuntu repo.PPM missed libcurl-gnutls though but once installed Conky works fine.No other problems yet.
Attachments
Precise.png
(77.15 KiB) Downloaded 2259 times

bigpup

#778 Post by bigpup »

Precise RC1
Live CD
save file on CD

Save icon on desktop.

Live CD not mounted.
Select save icon on desktop and save process works saving to CD.

Live CD mounted.
Select save icon and system does hard lockup. Mouse pointer is locked to icon and nothing works.
Have to do reset button reboot or power button reboot.
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mcewanw

uploaded hoped final for now pavrecord and precord versions

#779 Post by mcewanw »

uploaded hoped final for now pavrecord (ver 0.9.1) and precord (1.8.4) versions to their threads.
github mcewanw

bigpup

#780 Post by bigpup »

Precise RC1
Live CD
save file on CD

Xorg Video Wizard->Monitor Gamma Calibration

This program will not work. Setting changes do nothing. Have no effect.

This version of this program does not have numbers that go positive (+) and negative (-) and the settings do not start at 0.
This defect was reported some time ago in development of Lucid Puppy and program was corrected.
The version of program in Lucid Puppy works and setting changes have effect on display screen. There was a pet posted, but it is someplace in the topic about Lucid Puppy.
The version of Monitor Gamma Calibration in Lucid 528.005 works.
I guess you could get it from Lucid repo.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)