Problem creating a remastered CD (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

Problem creating a remastered CD (Solved)

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I am trying to create a remastered DVD of my puppy setup.

1. Can I boot up into my regular puppy session using my save file and then save everthing that is already installed to an iso file that I can burn to a new CD or DVD?

2. What I did was boot up from my puppy CD in RAM, no savefile used. I them installed a pile of software, changed my desktop etc... Once I did that, I used the remaster tool to save my setup to an iso file.

When I restarted my machine I used brasero in Mint 13 XFCE to burn the iso file to DVD. I would think this is the right way? Once I did that I restarted from the DVD in RAM because I have not created a savefile. I thought I would see all the software I installed but all I saw was the default Puppy with no apps. Nothing.

What am I doing wrong? My lupy_528.sfs file is 442.6 MB in size so I would assume that this file contains all the apps and configurations I made.

capicoso

#2 Post by capicoso »

Hey, i don't know why you don't see any programs. The programs aren't installed or just the icons, menu, etc?
Anyways, to question 1, yes you can. And i think that's the best way.

Here's a good guide:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71349

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Rmcellig, why not try using a multisession DVD instead of remastering? It's just like a remastered Puppy containing all the settings and programs you've installed, but much easier to do. It will even boot in a different computer; you may have to go through the hardware configuration (display, sound and the like) again, if it is different.

The simplest way I know to make a multisession DVD is burn the iso of your choice with Puppy's Burniso2cd. Then you boot the DVD, adjust it to your liking, install whatever programs you want and save to the DVD. The next time you boot, all your settings and programs will be as they were before you shut down.

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

Why did you use Mint burning tools btw ?

The remaster script is for simple changes to create an adhoc fast Puppy-5.x.97 release with bugfixes mainly to /usr directory . In case you installed a lot of config files to /etc and /root/.[[:alnum:]]* and did not edit the /tmp/root and /tmp/etc directories as the Xdialogs asked for then you would probably be missing your new background in /root/pictures/ . Most people take the easy way out and delete everything in /tmp/etc and /tmp/root and replace them copying /etc and /root with rox and delete /tmp/etc/.Xloaded .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

rmcellig

#5 Post by rmcellig »

I used Brassero in Mint because I booted from the puppy 5.2.8 CD, added apps and then wanted to burn the remastered iso back to the CD I started up with. I thought I wasn't able to do this so I rebooted into Mint and used Brasero.

I tried the DVD thing a while back making it a multi-session DVD but I found it took way too long to start up and I had all these save session folders on my DVD.

I am going to try this remastering again because this is basically what I am after:

I want to install all the apps, and wallpaper I want to use normally in Puppy. Then I can save as an iso file and burn the iso file to a new CD or DVD. This is basically all I want to do.

I want to keep my savefile as healthy as possible and will look into the advice posted in this thread regarding savefile management.

rmcellig

#6 Post by rmcellig »

Wow! It worked. Not sure what I did. Maybe I was having a rough day yesterday and wasn't as focused on the task at hand. Here is what I did.

I booted up from the DVD RW I was using yesterday. It booted with the remastered ISO I created yesterday (for some reason it worked this time). I put my background folders on my desktop for easy access. Now when I want to change my desktop I just right mouse click on the lock icon, select backdrop and just drag the wallpaper over.

I installed a couple of other apps, and then remastered to a new iso file. I did a complete blank of my startup DVD RW and then used burniso2cd to burn the new remastered iso file. Once done, I restarted from the DVD and all my changes are there. This is really easy to do. Now I am going to try the DVD on other computers that I use. I realize I will have to tweak a couple of things but hey, this is light years more than I could ever do with my iMac running OS X Snow Leopard.

Now if I can find a way to edit my video files. I usually mark the beginning and end of the snippet I want to save and then just save that to a mov or whatever video format. I know there is Avidemux but I have always had issues with that app. I use MPEG Streamclip on my Mac. So easy and it works every time. If I could find the equivalent in Linux and hopefully Puppy, it's goodbye iMac and hello Puppy!!!

rmcellig

#7 Post by rmcellig »

I discovered something interesting (at least to me). Remember a few comments ago I stated that after remastering a CD and copying it to a new cd, I restarted my machine and all I got was the basic Puppy Linux desktop. Not the one I created.

When I restarted, I pressed F2 and then selected puppy pfix=ram. Once I did that and continued starting up, my remastered system showed up.

Can someone explain to me why this is?

Now I have my Dell 3000 desktop, my Dell 4500S desktop and my HP laptop all booted from a remastered DVD. So far they all work great and fast!!

What I really like is that on my Dell Dimension 3000 it was a snap setting up my crontabs to record my weekly radio shows. That is really something.

I find I get way more done in less time when I use Puppy than when I use my iMac (I think I mentioned this before) but I am still coming off a Puppy High of an OS that works well fast and simple.

oldyeller

#8 Post by oldyeller »

Hi rmcellig,

I will try and explain to yo why this happens. When you boot a puppy into pfix=ram you are bypassing any savefile you have from that version of puppy.

See when you load a puppy it looks for any files with that number and name of sfs and will load that instead of what is on the cd/dvd.

When you bypass and go into ram it will boot what is on the media instead.

I hope this has helped.

Cheers

rmcellig

#9 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks. Appreciate it.

rmcellig

#10 Post by rmcellig »

I need some clarification on the remaster CD process. I find that if I add some files to my root directory before going to through the remaster process, they are not there after I remaster, save the iso file and burn it to a CD. Am I missing something when I go through the remaster process?

Also I need some clarification and maybe some examples regarding these windows.

Thanks (as always!!).
Attachments
window3.png
(58.38 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
window2.png
(24.94 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
drive_file.png
What is this file and what is the benefit of making it seperate?
(10.86 KiB) Downloaded 523 times

oldyeller

#11 Post by oldyeller »

rmcellig wrote:I need some clarification on the remaster CD process. I find that if I add some files to my root directory before going to through the remaster process, they are not there after I remaster, save the iso file and burn it to a CD. Am I missing something when I go through the remaster process?

Also I need some clarification and maybe some examples regarding these windows.

Thanks (as always!!).
Hello,

Let us take a look at this process. When you stall pets like wine, pwidgets and others that have folders in ~./. This is a hidden folder. Click on the eye to see this type of folder.

During the remaster process will be able to edit the ~./folder-What you do is

1) open root and click to see the hidden files
2) open /tmp/root and drag and drop the file from root of the puppy you are remastering.

As far as the questions go I click no on all three of your pics that you have shown.

Here is a pic of the move of folders Hope this is helpfull

You could also use woofy get it here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1167608987 This is a remastering program done by sc0ttman
Attachments
remasterexample.png
(149.62 KiB) Downloaded 488 times

rmcellig

#12 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks!! So whatever I put in the tmp/root folder will show up in my remastered cd? Can I put the files in the tmp/root folder before I start the remastering process?

oldyeller

#13 Post by oldyeller »

The tmp/root only shows up when ask at that point in the process

When i do a remaster during the whole process I don't do anything else with the computer until I am prompted to by the remaster program.