Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

Carolina light non-PAE

#221 Post by Marv »

A little more time with Light (makes right?). Not much to report but I found I preferred the shutdown-gui from Saluki so I swapped it back in. Use it a lot when shaking things out and having all the options right there seems to work better.

Once in a blue moon, under Saluki 023 (don't think I saw it in 021 or earlier) and now under Carolina the touchpad says it's shutting down and then does so! I can't correlate it to anything yet and just ctrl + Alt + Del and restart X from the shutdown GUI. 1.6 GHz Pentium M laptop, intel i915 graphics, 1 gb RAM. frugal install on CF Card. Seems somewhat similar to what dennis-slacko531 saw here:
Things go fine but then the mouse pointer just turns to a + (plus sign...) and I can move the pointer but nothing catches the focus, you know, can't do jack... So, I press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace and go into a full terminal and restart the desktop with xwin (or startx, thanks for that).
Anyone else ever see this?

Still pretty smooth sailing in a light breeze.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Geoffrey

#222 Post by Geoffrey »

I,ve added a tutorial to the How-tos, Tutorials, and Help page for those who need to install Nvidia drivers, see the first post.

It's more of a pictorial so it should be easier for non English speaking users to follow, there are links to the files required as well as a embedded Nvidia drivers web page for convenience.

These are the steps I have taken to install my card, if anyone has trouble with it, let me know in what way it can be improved and I will make any necessary changes.

Here is a direct link http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/nvid ... orial.html
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Geoffrey

Re: Carolina light non-PAE

#223 Post by Geoffrey »

Marv wrote: Seems somewhat similar to what dennis-slacko531 saw here:
Things go fine but then the mouse pointer just turns to a + (plus sign...) and I can move the pointer but nothing catches the focus, you know, can't do jack... So, I press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace and go into a full terminal and restart the desktop with xwin (or startx, thanks for that).
Anyone else ever see this?
I to have had the same thing happen, though I'm unsure as to whether it happened before I made a save file, but it hasn't reoccurred since.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

yerc1

#224 Post by yerc1 »

yerc1 wrote:Is there a chance to have Carolina support for the ENE sdcard reader?
I'm looking into this. However, I've been busy with dental issues, so I may not be able to devote my full attention to it for a couple days.
thanks elroy.
i'd rather you look after yourself first. that way we all can have more in Carolina :)

Billtoo

Carolina

#225 Post by Billtoo »

Running from live dvd with savefile on hp desktop pc.

Carolina, version 002 on Fri 19 Oct 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GT216 Board - 0682vb12 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nvidia

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (373x231 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GT 220/PCIe/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.60
Direct Rendering Yes

sh-3.00# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.341 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.889 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.892 FPS

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Memory 4146MB (203MB used)

Carolina 002 is working well on this pc too.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(163.51 KiB) Downloaded 712 times

josepinto

Quite Rss

#226 Post by josepinto »

Hi,

Could Quiterrs be added to Carolina repo.

It´s in Saluki repo.

Thanks,

José Pinto

linux

#227 Post by linux »

elroy wrote: I'm quite curious to hear of your progress concerning the Macbook Pro install. Please keep us updated on this front.
Tried out Carolina on the MacBook today. On-board audio, on-board wireless network, all working really well. I could not configure the touch-pad settings as advised but it probably just needs a driver installed.

I still could not get the my brothers USB Realtek based wireless N adapter to work properly it is now recognized as a Wlan at startup after adding the driver you mentioned but it would not allow us to configure a network, even after disabling the on-board wireless. If I had the same USB network adapter I could configure it to work with my laptop and sort the problem out.

Thanks again for your help

elroy

#228 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:Thanks for the light version, very nice. Is it possible to just have the a_drives and light puppy_sfs in the repo to keep the download even smaller?
Yes, I can do that. But in order to make, for example, a light non-PAE you would need to swap out 4 files: adrv_lina_002.sfs, puppy_lina_002.sfs, initrd.gz, and zdrv_lina_002.sfs. Those 4 files are about 111 MB, not much smaller than the light non-PAE ISO itself.

The light PAE version can be made by changing out just the adrv_lina_002.sfs with the standard carolina-002 adrive. I have uploaded the light PAE version adrive to that directory in folder labled 'PAE-light-adrive'.
rg66 wrote: Did a custom build with 002 light non pae, same problem as with Saluki, "open with" menu non alphabetized.
The stock light non-PAE is itself a custom build (with slight modification). The "open with" menu is alphabetized. Ubuntu has a Thunar bug report for this behavior -
Incorrect alphabetical sort order in thunar with non-latin (eg. cyrillic) file names. It's possible this is what you're experiencing and may be due to your locale setting not being handled correctly by Thunar.

Xfce also has a bug report Incorrect sort order in thunar with numeric names.

Thunar sorts using "sort -n", which does not always sort correctly for anything outside English, non-numeric sorting.
Last edited by elroy on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

elroy

#229 Post by elroy »

linux wrote:I could not configure the touch-pad settings as advised...
Another thing to try is to go to Control Panel-->Hardware-->FlSynclient touchpad settings.

elroy

Re: Quite Rss

#230 Post by elroy »

josepinto wrote:Could Quiterrs be added to Carolina repo.
QuiteRSS is already in the repo, in the internet category. Make sure your Package Lists inside the Package Manager are updated.

shelezyaka

#231 Post by shelezyaka »

What is the reason a setback kernel 3.2.13 in carolina-001, 3.2.8 on a carolina-002-non-pae-light

shelezyaka

#232 Post by shelezyaka »

Another tool for networks.
UMTSmon is a tool to control and monitor a wireless mobile network card (GPRS, EDGE, WCDMA, UMTS, HSDPA) in a laptop running the Linux operating system. It handles PIN codes, operator choice (roaming), signal strength and network statistics, sending/receiving SMS.
It probably also works well with several 3G phones that provide a serial interface in Linux.

It requires a QT-3, in the package are libumtsmon dependence.

The basic package http://yadi.sk/d/5MYbOzS00D4Ep
dependency package http://yadi.sk/d/0RjerF_10D4Gz

elroy

#233 Post by elroy »

shelezyaka wrote:What is the reason a setback kernel 3.2.13 in carolina-001, 3.2.8 on a carolina-002-non-pae-light
The official full sized carolina-002 uses the 3.2.13-PAE kernel.

I made a lite version of a non-pae with the 3.2.8 kernel because there have been some who cannot get their system to run with a pae kernel. With it, they can use the custom-builder or the package manager to create a non pae carolina with the packages they desire. It's a way to offer Carolina to a wider group of users.

I also made a lite version of the pae 3.2.13 kernel. This will allow users that want to start out with no pre-installed packages (other than those that woof includes (most of them), and the packages that support xfce). The lite versions are mainly for those that use the custom-builder - it gives them a solid base to build upon.

The lite versions take more know-how, and aren't for everyone. They're mainly for those that are customization fanatics, tinkerers, and those that want a stripped down version. Or need a specialized version. Those that don't have the know-how about using the custom-builder would be better off using the full version of carolina-002.

The lite versions are a side project; they're not official as of yet. They're my way of giving those with the curiosity and the know-how more options for making use of Carolina. As a custom-builder fanatic, it was something that I've always wanted. So I thought maybe there may be a few others that would also enjoy it.
Last edited by elroy on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

shelezyaka

#234 Post by shelezyaka »

Got it.
Will be translated into Russian only puppy_lina_xxx.sfs.
Rest to taste.

anikin

#235 Post by anikin »

elroy wrote:
shelezyaka wrote:What is the reason a setback kernel 3.2.13 in carolina-001, 3.2.8 on a carolina-002-non-pae-light

I also made a lite version of the pae 3.2.13 kernel.

I made a lite version of a non-pae with the 3.2.8 kernel because there have been some who cannot get their system to run with a pae kernel. With it, they can use the custom-builder or the package manager to create a non pae carolina with the packages they desire. It's a way to offer Carolina to a wider group of users.
If a person can't run his system with a pae kernel, give him a non-pae version. But don't stop there - downgrade his kernel. Make the sucker look cheaper. Something doesn't add-up here. Elroy, no hard feelings, just trying to understand the logic.

Geoffrey

#236 Post by Geoffrey »

anikin wrote:
elroy wrote:

I also made a lite version of the pae 3.2.13 kernel.

If a person can't run his system with a pae kernel, give him a non-pae version. But don't stop there - downgrade his kernel. Make the sucker look cheaper. Something doesn't add-up here. Elroy, no hard feelings, just trying to understand the logic.
These are the only two kernels we have at this time, the 3.2.8 kernel as in Saluki or the pae 3.2.13 kernel, the first choice for Carolina.

anikin

#237 Post by anikin »

Geoffrey, thank you for clarifying this. However, what gets me thinking is this: suppose a person has a system with a PAE supported processor (Intel atom 270 and only 2GB of RAM - eeepc). Which one will be his best bet? PAE - there's not and never will be that much of RAM on this machine. Non-PAE?

mikeslr

Thanks for the lite non-pae version

#238 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks elroy for the lite non-pae version. Although the machine I experiment on supports PAE, I prefer a non-pae kernel so that my customized Pup can be easily copied over to computers which don't support pae. I do prefer to choose which apps it uses. And a lite version eliminates my concern that I may be removing something vital.

mikesLr

Geoffrey

#239 Post by Geoffrey »

anikin wrote:Geoffrey, thank you for clarifying this. However, what gets me thinking is this: suppose a person has a system with a PAE supported processor (Intel atom 270 and only 2GB of RAM - eeepc). Which one will be his best bet? PAE - there's not and never will be that much of RAM on this machine. Non-PAE?
anikin,
Thanks for the question, though I'm unable to answer, due to the fact I don't have anyway to compare the two kernels on that particular device,
maybe you would like to run some test and post your findings here, on whether there are any major differences in performance,
though most of the reports so far have been surprisingly promising, other than the known bugs that still need to be rectified.

The older kernel wasn't meant to be a substitute for PAE kernel in Carolina, elroy only provided the two lite versions for
anyone who would like to start with a minimalistic version to build on, whether it be the PAE or not. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 903#658903

Billtoo

Carolina

#240 Post by Billtoo »

I've added wbar + tint2 to your EXCELLENT carolina 002, the xfce panel
is hidden down the left side of the desktop.
Nice job with carolina 002, it's a keeper for sure :)
Attachments
Screenshot-5.jpg
(166.91 KiB) Downloaded 826 times