Puppy Professional just for business

Using applications, configuring, problems
hendrikus

Puppy Professional just for business

#1 Post by hendrikus »

I see huge opportunities for Puppy because one simple thing.... IT'S FAST :lol: , VERY FAST. :lol: I LOVE IT FROM THE FIRST DAY I WORKED WITH IT. The same reason I like my PDA with Microsoft, great, it always works, has everything I need and is fast.

For company's we only need OpenOffice, PDF, File Explorer and Opera or FireFox and a multimediaplayer. Preferable with a WindowsXP lookalike userinterface. Please no dogs on the screen.... :oops:

I Use Puppy but the StartMenu is filled with playing stuff for Linux freaks :twisted: . Of course I get the answer 'just remove it' and add the software you need.

But I'm a consultant for business management systems and not a programmer. I saw the puppyoffice2.02, it's great but still too technical.

Is there nobody who created an PuppyProfessional ISO for company use? A WindowsXP / MicrosoftOffice killer. :P

Marco_Inge

#2 Post by Marco_Inge »

I pretty new in using Linux and Puppy has been the first one I really loved due to its speed and easy-going approach.

I agree with Hendrikus, PuppyOffice 2.03 could be a great distro for business, but it should have a simpler menu (would it be possible to have a simple script in order to switch between a simple menu and a complete one?) and a less crowded desktop with a professional looking background to really appeal to first time users coming from windows. Since in my work I do a good share of reports editing with a lot of picture I would suggest Scribus and Gimp to be included in the basic applications, but I understand that many people could not need them.

Marco

gliezl

#3 Post by gliezl »

hendrikus,
do you mean like this? see screenshot
I am still working on it. I dont have time to remaster. :-(

Having problems with remastering it to CD.
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

raffy

Yes

#4 Post by raffy »

Yes, Liz does magic on the looks and booting of Puppy. Maybe Hendrikus can get a tutorial from her while in Manila. :D

Hendrikus, just remove the icons that you don't want from the desktop and add your own background. For a blue/XP theme, just try to set it in JWM settings, then restart X.

You can drop by Puppy IRC Fridays 6-8 AM and let's discuss more. Or visit there anytime you're free and ask.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

EarlSmith

#5 Post by EarlSmith »

I have used Puppy for certain things in my business, but always need windows for Quickbooks. Now that 2.03ce is out, everything but Quickbooks and OO Base is there. These two programs are the only ones holding me back from using Puppy full time.

raffy

GnuCash

#6 Post by raffy »

Could GnuCash be used in Puppy? I see that there is a way of using quickbooks data for GnuCash: http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 9&from=rss
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

jus407

#7 Post by jus407 »

nice look and feel but you MUST make a startup and shutdown animation if you want i can play around and try making something i use to play with flash and the likes and could possibly make something if i get the right pics and stuff, and also try making the start menu more XP like with a programs menu instead of multimedia, control panel, word processing, internet, etc, etc i might look into making something like that for ya but no garantees ive been swamped with stuff lately and havent done anything puppy related, too tired and stuff. just wanting to put in my 1 cent (2 before taxes).

hendrikus

#8 Post by hendrikus »

EarlSmith wrote:I have used Puppy for certain things in my business, but always need windows for Quickbooks. Now that 2.03ce is out, everything but Quickbooks and OO Base is there. These two programs are the only ones holding me back from using Puppy full time.
I discovered the same with some applications like MYOB, but I advice to the companies to run company critical applications central with a high level of security. Have a look to OfBiz OpenTaps, or webERP, I know the migration to an new accounting program is difficult, but when you have several discipines in your company it's woth to think about.

For one company I installed SugerCRM, they love it, specialy the Document Management because it's stable and fast.

EarlSmith

#9 Post by EarlSmith »

I checked out Gnucash at their web site. This statement made me wonder if Puppy could run it.
GnuCash 2.0 can be downloaded from sourceforge.net. It is available as source code.

To install GnuCash, users will need Gnome 2, guile, slib and g-wrap.
Anyone know if these are in Puppy?

EarlSmith

#10 Post by EarlSmith »

I checked out Gnucash at their web site. This statement made me wonder if Puppy could run it.
GnuCash 2.0 can be downloaded from sourceforge.net. It is available as source code.

EarlSmith

#11 Post by EarlSmith »

hendrikus

#12 Post by hendrikus »

gliezl wrote:hendrikus,

Having problems with remastering it to CD.
Hi Gliez,

It seems to me a very good start, I think it's ok to use the Windows98 look, XPlook is even better, I saw it as isewm theme but I don't know if isewm is as stable as JWM. In the startmenu I prefer to see the following:
--OpenOffice--
Write
Calc
Draw
Impress
Math
Base
Printer
Browser (Opera, mail, edit)
-- MultiMedia --
RealPlayer (with plugins for MP3)
Gimp
Games (group) (you can't get them happy without)
-- FileManagement --
File Explorer
Network (LinNeighberhood) + (NetworkWizard) + (DialUp)
-- Control --
Control Panel (All settings for puppy)
Run
Search
Help

I think you did a great job allready, thanks...

Hendrikus

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#13 Post by GuestToo »

i think Icewm is very stable and reliable, and works well with Rox and with Puppy (and Gxine)

the newest version seems to have a new feature (i have not noticed it before anyway) ... when you click on a text file or an html file or something that opens in a new tab in another application, the button for that application starts flashing ... if the application is on another desktop, the button appears on your working desktop, so you can just click it to switch to the other application

Icewm is larger than Jwm:

Uncompressed:

Icewm: 529k
Jwm: 124k

Compressed with UPX:

Icewm: 178k
Jwm: 55k

i usually use just the Icewm executable, i do not run the icewmbg background setter, or icewtray or icedock etc etc

hendrikus

#14 Post by hendrikus »

GuestToo wrote:i think Icewm is very stable and reliable, and works well with Rox and with Puppy (and Gxine)

the newest version seems to have a new feature (i have not noticed it before anyway) ... when you click on a text file or an html file or something that opens in a new tab in another application, the button for that application starts flashing ... if the application is on another desktop, the button appears on your working desktop, so you can just click it to switch to the other application

Icewm is larger than Jwm:

Uncompressed:

Icewm: 529k
Jwm: 124k

Compressed with UPX:

Icewm: 178k
Jwm: 55k

i usually use just the Icewm executable, i do not run the icewmbg background setter, or icewtray or icedock etc etc
Hi,

Is it posible to uninstall JWM and other windowmanager software and just use only IceWM within Puppy?

Also all that network stuff and applications I don't use I would like to uninstall. So I have still enough memory to use OpenOffice on a 128Mb system.

Hendrikus

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#15 Post by GuestToo »

yes, you can just not use Jwm

you can delete the jwm file, but if you are running from the cd (or an option 1 frugal install) it will still be there, just hidden ... you can remaster Puppy and leave jwm out

with an option 2 full install, you will actually save the space, but it won't be very much ... Jwm is not a large application

or you can get a version of Puppy that uses Icewm as it's default window manager

Jwm is very much smaller than Open Office, so it probably is not very important if Jwm is there or not ... it really is not taking much space ... only about 50k when compressed

the Seamonkey web browser takes a lot of space ... but there are other programs that might depend on some of Seamonkey's library files

you might be better to get a smaller version of Puppy and add only the applications that you want

hendrikus

#16 Post by hendrikus »

Liz,
gliezl wrote:hendrikus,
What do you think about the Vista screen, when combined with your icons it could become a nice with an professional look.

Do you think it's posible to create it, it seems to need IceWM, do you have experiance with it.

Regard's Hendrikus

Rhino

#17 Post by Rhino »

I really like the idea of the Puppy Professional version. I remastered a version of Puppy Office 2.02ce to include some extra goodies and a professional look, however it would be quite weighty for a Puppy. I am somewhat reluctant to release it into the wild since it is eerily similar to the Rudy version.

Here's what I added:

--Icons changed to SnowIsh KDE even on the menu and toolbars (that was a lot of resizing)
--Added XFCE4 with XDG and menu entry to convert between JWM and XFCE4 without using the CLI :-)
--Gimpshop
--Opera
-- Gxine extra codecs added
--LTris
--Puppy PDF
--gRip
--Several professional looking wallpapers
--added Open Office button on JWM Tray and changed the network monitor to blue rather than red.
--changed tray icons in XFCE4 and added open office tray menu.
--changed some MIME-type icons (I think)
--added some professional looking Impress templates

All-in-all it seems very nice.

BIG CONCERNS:
I have not converted the CD to an iso to check the size, but you can imagine it would be big. Another concern is that the time to copy pup202.sfs from the CD on initial boot is lengthy, even for a fast machine. The last problem is that I think it would run much too slowly, if it all, on older hardware.

If anyone is interested, I would be glad to make an iso available, but I'm not sure if we are ready for such a bandwidth committment.
:oops:
Last edited by Rhino on Wed 13 Sep 2006, 00:44, edited 2 times in total.
Visit the Puppy Linux Video Tutorials @ http://rhinoweb.us

Rhino

#18 Post by Rhino »

Here are some screenies:

XFCE4 Desktop with Opera and a wide variety of "quiet" wallpapers.

-----------------------------------------------------------

XFCE4 Desktop showing XDG menus and toolbar icons.

-----------------------------------------------------------
JWM with tray modifications, new icons, and a different wallpaper (default is the blue)
Visit the Puppy Linux Video Tutorials @ http://rhinoweb.us

MU

#19 Post by MU »

looks great, a iso certainly would be good.
Can you upload it somewhere?

We can mirror it then.
If not, I can send you the data to upload on dotpups.de , from there I can move it to htb65.de and puptrix.org

Going asleep now, I'll send you a pm.
Mark

hendrikus

#20 Post by hendrikus »

Hi Rhino,

I'm happy to see that other people supporting my idear to create a distro for pure business use. I current tly use Puppy203CE on a flashdisk and did some demo's, owners of companies are enthousistic because this looks realy plug and play. I din't change so much till now because my IT guy's are currently building a 'plug and play' file- print- mail- web- server based on puppy too.
But this doesn't seems to be that easy.

For a Professional Puppy it's the trick to limit the amount of programs, not to install programs they don't need to use. Rox, OpenOffice with Opera, the best PDF viewer and Xine or other complete audio/video player. Please remove all technical linux apps.

Additionals like Gimp, Qcad dll they can install them selves using getpup, if they like to use this programs they know they need to expend their memory.

I saw the vista2 screens, looks professional, but the best is to create a similar screen as people normaly use.... WindowsXP

I would like to see some printscreens of your ProfessionalPuppy

Regard's
Hendrikus