Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
Jejy69

#401 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi !

I encounter the same issue each time with Precise and now with the latest Slacko ? All centers controls do not work. It lacks the applications menu associated with the center is not detected.

It is as if there were no same variables in the previous Puppies, like 'XDG ='
Files are correctly installed in /etc/xdg but they are not detected. :(
I tried with 4 different applications, they are all empty, applications don4t appear...

Is it possible to fix it please ?
Attachments
capture21179.png
(111.7 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

tlchost

LibreOffice

#402 Post by tlchost »

I'm using an SFS of LibreOffice 3.6.1 in 533. If works fine. In 5.4 the desktop files don't show in the menu.

The libreoffice361 and the libs required found in the repository works fine...but it's huge.

I can extract all the libs and libreoffice to make an sfs, but I really don't understand the ppm data files well enough to find them.

Since I'm running on a bootable USB with a fat32 partition, the getlibreoffice application will not work.

Any hints?

Thanks

Thom

01micko

#403 Post by 01micko »

VirtualBox fix

Better thank CatDude for that one :wink:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bigpup

#404 Post by bigpup »

01micko,

I see a lot of people having problems with the initial boot of the latest versions of Puppy. Precise, Slacko, etc...
They usually get a messed up desktop (me included) or a black screen with nothing.
After running Xorgwizard and selecting Vesa driver, that fixes the problem.

The problem seems to be caused by wanting to use nouveau driver for any Nvidia GPU detected. Seems to be a must use determination by developers.
Problem is nouveau driver does not seem to work well with all Nvidia GPU'S.
Mine does not. Seems to be issue with older GPU's.
The NV driver seems a better chance of working or for sure Vesa driver will work.
Just hate to see the first thing a person needs to deal with is getting graphics to just work.
Seems to me the issue should be, lets get to a usable desktop and then figure out if a better graphics diver can be used to improve graphic performance.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#405 Post by 01micko »

bigpup

I have 4 nvidias and they seem now to bomb out without nouvea. My oldest is over 12 years (vanta) and it doesn't work at all with vesa, just works with nv. It requires KMS too.

I am of the opinion that over 90% [guess] of nvidia cards now work with nouveau and most actually require it. Vesa is failing for many, especially newer cards. If people don't read the release notes then I can't force them. I make it clear enough.

Don't perceive this as arrogant, it's just based on experience. I know that most are too lazy to bother with reading the fine manual but I am sure that if I ship with KMS off and nouveau hidden away somewhere there will be a lot more than 10% of nvidia users whining. Lets face it too, most graphics chips are those horrible intel things and as far as I'm concerned that is a bigger worry.

James C

#406 Post by James C »

Same here. I use several different Nvidia chips ( 7050/630a, 7025/630a, mx400,mx4000,6200,8400 and the old Riva TNT2) and they all work best with 'nouveau".Some will not even get to a desktop with "nv" or 'vesa".

Also have a couple of 5200 cards relegated to the scrap bin because they work like crap in Linux generally.

01micko

#407 Post by 01micko »

As an appendix to this post, nouveau goes a lot deeper than just the graphical Xorg driver. For it to work it has to be compiled as a module in the kernel as well, with KMS enabled and drm. Not compiling into the kernel is not an option. Removing the module would be possible, or even blacklisting it but again, many cards requiring nouveau will fail.

I have given this plenty of thought and my best solution is the documentation. I know there are other ways, booting with a kdrive server such as Xvesa but that is not part of the woof template and I don't want to stray from that because then this becomes a fork. If I make a fork it won't be a Pup!

The same applies to some radeons and intels. If I turned KMS off for everything then only half of the machines in the wild would boot, many of them with vesa. Then there ore the other cards, mostly SiS, Matrox, S3 etc. I have 2 SiS and they both work great with old 4:3 monitors but need a bit of juggling with 15:9. Acceleration and KMS works for them.

bigpup

#408 Post by bigpup »

I know, hardware support is that ever moving target :cry: :cry:

Just seems lately more people having issues with initial boot graphics.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#409 Post by bigpup »

Interesting read about Nouveau.
Real life status of nouveau support for selected cards
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/HardwareStatus
YaPI(any iso installer)

mfilmore

5.3.6.5 loses LibreOffice-3.6.0_en-US.sfs as well

#410 Post by mfilmore »

I tried LibreOffice-3.6.0_en-US.sfs but got no result here as well.

The software seems to think that the sfs is loaded but nothing shows up.

"Looking inside" the sfs to mount it then copying to root allows one to install LibreOffice, so there is a work around.

This is the 5.3.6.5 as installed on my Toshiba laptop (same behavior as HP mini). I can send details (uname et al) if you want.

Note that the devx and kernel source sfs files seem fine.

Perhaps it is time for me to learn about the layered file system.. 8^(

-Mike

01micko

#411 Post by 01micko »

mfilmore

To narrow things down, can you try to load the libreoffice sfs from the bootmanager please?

Menu>System>Schedule>Bootmanager

Thanks

majorfoo

#412 Post by majorfoo »

Installed LibreOffice-3.6.2 pet to ext4 partition - full install

Works great. Swriter or Scalc opens in approx 3 1/2 seconds.

01micko

#413 Post by 01micko »

get_libreoffice now supports installing on a USB stick if you have large RAM. tlchost, this may interest you. It builds a sane 3.6.2 sfs.

I had no problem with loading the sfs in a usb, normal frugal and a full install.

rjbrewer

#414 Post by rjbrewer »

Strange problem with non-pae ff version.

Live and frugal works fine on 3 listed machines.

Full install on the 2 Pent.M machines; mouse and keyboard
freeze at desktop.

Early in boot process pcmcia counts to 10.
(I'm not using any pcmcia devices)

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

01micko

#415 Post by 01micko »

Fulls are broken at the moment unless you can run depmod and reboot. I have a fix for the next beta.

Don't know about the pcmcia thing, I'll have to try a full on my old pentium M.

James C

#416 Post by James C »

Slacko 5.3.6.5 on my Windows 7/Mageia/SolusOS/Puppy box.....
Display and sound good on boot...had to use SNS to connect with internet.

# report-video
Report Video 1.4 - Sun 21 Oct 2012 on Slacko Puppy 5.3.6.5 - Linux 3.2.31-4g i686

Chip description:
d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
# glxgears
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 30
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 55
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 56
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 59
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 58
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
4815 frames in 5.0 seconds = 962.966 FPS
5403 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1080.490 FPS
5359 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1071.706 FPS
5339 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1067.780 FPS
5359 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1071.701 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Memory : 3374MB (224MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 21 Oct 2012 11:48:24 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on NV4C
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 3374252 555828 2818424 0 55980
-/+ buffers: 499848 2874404
Swap: 4300796 0 4300796
#

01micko

#417 Post by 01micko »

Just did a full with a remaster including just the full install fix on my ibm r51 pent.M and it's all good so far.

If any one wants to try I'll post the file. It's at /etc/rc.d/rc.update. Plonk the attached file into /etc/rc.d after decompressing. rebuild your main sfs and your away, can do a sane full install. There's no cheating unless you mount the full install, plonk in the file, chroot into the full install, then run depmod...OR wait a week or so for beta 3 :lol: .

I did not see any pcmcia issues, maybe some load slow as I know there is a loop that waits for them that times out after 10 secs, but then again, they never load because of the depmod bug. So that's probably what you were seeing rjbrewer.
Attachments
rc.update.tar.bz2
(8.95 KiB) Downloaded 420 times

Sage

#418 Post by Sage »

most are too lazy
Maybe a little too harsh, mick. You and the other gurus are totally immersed and have immense command over this subject area. Many do not. Many have jobs, gardens, cars, houses, kids and wives to satisfy in their daily round. [Read the last-mentioned in any way you wish.] Personally, I have no knowledge of any aspect of the complex juggling you guys have with the SW - I trust you implicitly - my specialty field is diametrically opposite to yours: but I still have a strong interest in what you achieve and great respect for your efforts.

Having said all that, however you do it, it is essential that everybody starts off with a picture of some sort. That way they can read your best advice on how to proceed. As I've said many times, winning against the evil WIntel cartel has driven many to give up - that's Wintel's game. These are truly evil capitalists intent on world domination. Linux is the only game in town to put a stop to their antics. Please continue to apply your skills and innovation for as long as it takes. Doing so will strike a blow against wicked forces with vast resources in the cause of freedom and enlightenment.

The SiS issue failed for a 4:3 monitor for me! Sorry, mick. Guess I'll need to drag out some S3, Trident and Matrox cards from the depths of the spares box. Matrox - can't remember much joy with anything? Maybe there was one distro that gave a picture last year or more ago? Used to be a fantastic product, matched only by its fantastic price.

Yesterday was taken up with a mix from list of 'other' activities, so didn't read the bad news about FULL until this morning. Press on regardless!

Jasper

#419 Post by Jasper »

Reserved

drblock2

nouveau and virtualbox

#420 Post by drblock2 »

micko and CatDude many thanks for resolving the problem with VirtualBox! The patched 4.20 pet works just fine in 3.4.14.

On nouveau: micko thanks for the clarification. I had been hoping (assuming) that there was at least one driver (vesa or nv) that would work with all nvdidia cards and assure that new users would boot to a usable desktop. This does not seem to be the case.

You might call this "the Linux challenge": Apple controls both the hardware and the software for its machines. Manufacturers that bundle the un-operating system with their machines can select and fine tune drivers for their boxes. Linux has to take on all contenders active over the last ten to twelve years.

Perhaps, the nouveau developers can take up this challenge and produce a driver that works at least minimally on all nvidia cards. In any case, I really appreciate all of the thought and hard work you have put into fixing this.