Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 23:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Getting started; questions about hardware, software
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Arnout

PostPosted: Thu 05 May 2005, 11:38    Post subject:  Getting started; questions about hardware, software  

hi,

I just discovered Puppy Linux and I am quiet enthousiastic. I was so fet up with windows XP. Although the installation went right I still have some issues/questions:

- my keyboard settings are not 100%. for instance the "@" on my keyboard is placed under the "2" but I have to type on "0" to get it
- I have a HP 6110 PSC, I tried to use the suggested driver but it didn't work
- my optimal screen config is 1024*1024 . This is part of the 'more' list in the screen wizard but I don't know how to get it
- the video and audioplayer don't work because of the error messag 'no demuxer found' stream format not recognized. Although it worked for a while
- I have some hardware installed on my PC like a webcam a TV card, a minolta digital camera. Will it be possible to connect these?

greetings

Arnout

PostPosted: Thu 05 May 2005, 12:01    Post subject:  

With the Video Wizard, if I recall rightly, the "More" button brings up a list, and you just type "0x011A" or whatever mode you want -- I think the modes are listed down the left column.

So, is your keyboard non-US layout?
You might find a choice that suits you better if you go to Start -> Setup -> Mouse/keyboard Wizard, then choose the keyboard layout, "old 2-letter method".
FrankA

PostPosted: Thu 05 May 2005, 16:06    Post subject:  

I have @ problem too and c-media 9739 onboard soundchip don't support 5.1 surround (which is however a kernel module issue)

with the new release and 2.6. kernel there will be great strides forward on many these issues, I would assume - hold on a few days ...
comedix

PostPosted: Tue 10 May 2005, 13:22    Post subject: reply  

thx huys,

I Ialready solved some of my problems. I can print now but not from all applications, and my keyboard s seems OK (it's azerty latin)

but still I have some open questions especially hardware installation:

- my screen requests 1280*1024 but when I chosse this confige the screen becomes black
- the CD rom reader en writer: Puppy seems to recognise the cd rom (I can mount) but I am not able to write. I think it has something to do with SCSI or something.
- I have a TV card of pinaccle I would like to use of course to copy my video's to mpeg. Doesn't work
- I installed accounting program but it doesn't seem to work
- is it possible to install skype out?
pelaillo

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul 2005, 22:39    Post subject:  

FrankA wrote:
I have @ problem too and c-media 9739 onboard soundchip don't support 5.1 surround (which is however a kernel module issue)

I have a problem also with c-media 9739. I'm using c-media drivers but I cannot make it work. It simply sounds static noise.

Some hints?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger 
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul 2005, 23:07    Post subject: Re: reply  

comedix wrote:
[snip]

I have some open questions especially hardware installation:

[snip]

- the CD rom reader en writer: Puppy seems to recognise the cd rom (I can mount) but I am not able to write. I think it has something to do with SCSI or something.
Start->Setup->CD/DVD Drive Wizard then follow the directions to turn on SCSI emulation. You will still have to click the "Detect SCSI Drive" in order to burn anything in gcombust.

Quote:
- I have a TV card of pinaccle I would like to use of course to copy my video's to mpeg. Doesn't work
I remember a recent post by someone detailing how he got his TV tuner card to work. Other than that, you're on your own. Good luck. Smile

Quote:
- I installed accounting program but it doesn't seem to work

[snip]
Which accounting program? How did you install it? Was it a DotPup or Pupget?
doopdoop

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug 2005, 07:17    Post subject: Re: reply  

comedix wrote:
t

This is a (not very elegant) way, but ItWorksForMe(c)) to install the kernel modules for most analog TV cards:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=1388
For DVB, something similar can be done, but you may need to have a complete compiling environment, kernel sources and the drivers from www.linuxtv.org, as the 2.4 does not have a native DVB-Support.
On the other hand, encoding with DVB is then easy (set your channel and copy the input with a simple command (cat /dev/xxxx >output.mpg).
For analog, you need an encoder. Mencoder seems to be a rationale choice, as the correspondent mplayer is already available, but i haven't seen it yet.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: