Remote control Puppy from Windows

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rranc1st

Remote control Puppy from Windows

#1 Post by rranc1st »

I’m new to Linux, Puppy and this Web Site. Hope I’m posting in the correct place.

Download TeamViewer v7 TarBall from teamviewer.com.

Un-tar and run it. I successfully remote controlled puppy PC from WIN XP PC.

Make a couple changes in TeamViewer Extra | Options | General tabs to remote control via your LAN (using local IP address), without going over Internet and TeamViewers Servers.

Have not tested other features but for now this meets my needs.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Control Puppy from Windows ? That's blasphemy ! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Frank Cox

Why?

#3 Post by Frank Cox »

That is like buying salsa made in New York City!

Frank Cox

Re: Remote control Puppy from Windows

#4 Post by Frank Cox »

You have it backwards. The proper set up is to control everything from puppy . That is the beauty of puppy, you can use a thin client {old computer found in trash} to control all your equipment

gcmartin

It not just from Windows. ITS ABOUT REMOTE CONTROLLING PUPPY

#5 Post by gcmartin »

There are some flagrant views on this topic in Puppy.

What we should be attempting to approach is methodology to control a/the X-Windows session of Puppy from another Linux PC just as if we were sitting at the Puppy PC itself.

The technology to do this is NOT apparent or inherently provided in any PUP that I am aware of.

I had proposed, several years ago, to use XRDP to control a Puppy distro from any remote LAN PC. GoToMyPC is a proprietary product. VNC is dead and is never going to be able to manage multimedia peripherals on the user PCs that is controlling the Puppy.

Microsoft has delivered a feature in their OS, RDP, that is one of its greatest achievement in my opinion. It allows you to login and have "total" control of your loginID and the Windows session.

I, for one, would "jump" at the opportunity to remotely control, with sound and microphone, the Puppy session from another computer without my need to walk into the room where the PC is sitting in order to so something.

Here to help

Frank Cox

Re: It not just from Windows. ITS ABOUT REMOTE CONTROLLING PUPPY

#6 Post by Frank Cox »

gcmartin wrote:There are some flagrant views on this topic in Puppy.

What we should be attempting to approach is methodology to control a/the X-Windows session of Puppy from another Linux PC just as if we were sitting at the Puppy PC itself.

The technology to do this is NOT apparent or inherently provided in any PUP that I am aware of.

I had proposed, several years ago, to use XRDP to control a Puppy distro from any remote LAN PC. GoToMyPC is a proprietary product. VNC is dead and is never going to be able to manage multimedia peripherals on the user PCs that is controlling the Puppy.

Microsoft has delivered a feature in their OS, RDP, that is one of its greatest achievement in my opinion. It allows you to login and have "total" control of your loginID and the Windows session.

I, for one, would "jump" at the opportunity to remotely control, with sound and microphone, the Puppy session from another computer without my need to walk into the room where the PC is sitting in order to so something.

Here to help
I don't understand why anyone would wish to control Puppy, or any Linux, from Windows. I use puppy because it is fast on marginal equipment and virus proof for all intents and purposes and it's free! The reason I use Linux is so I never have to use windows. TeamViewer works very well on Linux so you can control windows if you just have to have windows.

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

Frank Cox wrote:
gcmartin wrote: ...
I don't understand why anyone would wish to control Puppy, or any Linux, from ...
This is not about Windows. Its about using the RDP protocol (which Windows uses since 1995) to remote-in to your ID on the remote system for desktop services. Microsoft just happened to perfect it and used its ability to provide integration so that multimedia as other such things work as well.

XRDP is a Linux tool that will work on Linux to control a Linux. But, there is no PET available to exercise it, nor, are there any instructions.

The reason for RDP protocol is its ability to compress the packets.

There is very good reason to want to control your PUPs from a central location. This has nothing to do with Windows as what we are desiring is a connection to Puppy as if we were sitting at the Puppy machine itself.

Since 95% of the worlds desktop PCs are from another vendor, it would be nice to have that 95%'s tool to our, Puppy, advantage.

That's what I am providing insights toward. Not trying to trumpet Windows.

Here to help

Frank Cox

#8 Post by Frank Cox »

Why not sit in front of Puppy and control Windows , assuming we need Windows at all?
Can you give me a reason why you would want to use Windows at all ? If you were adding to a network with Windows already there would it not make infinitely more sense to use Linux to access the Internet instead of Windows? Also when Windows becomes infected why not have Puppy already setup to scan Windows without needing to boot Windows?

One does not have to have a pet to set up programs in Puppy, it is sometimes easier but often the tarball gives you far more control. Why not ask people to help get you started setting Puppy up as a thin client, it is not difficult , it works beautifully , and it cost nothing for the software and it allows the use of cheap hardware that would not even boot windows. There just is no advantage to having Windows control Puppy, there are many disadvantages. To dismiss using Puppy as a thin client that will control every machine on the network must involve an emotional preference for Windows.

Teamviewer has a pet btw.

Mikrodots

#9 Post by Mikrodots »

One good reason for remote control of Puppy is to remote rebuild (install HDD image from remote) a Windows (or any other OS) box or remote diagnostics.

Have the end user boot Puppy from USB, then the technician remote controls Puppy - often from a Windows machine - then use diagnostic, backup and imaging tools installed on Puppy to troubleshoot and/or image the machine that is running Puppy.

It is valuable to be able to remote control Puppy from the OS of the technicians choice / availability - IMHO.

Mikrodots

gcmartin

This isnt about Windows??? Why is someone trying to steer it

#10 Post by gcmartin »

This thread is NOT ABOUT WINDOWS!

Its about awareness of using a tool that is in LInux, Windows desktops (which comprises about 96% of all desktops in the world) to access a Puppy desktop. OR, its about technologies that can be employed on a Puppy PC such that a user elsoewhere on the LAN can access that PUPPY.

The advancement of technology has VM running on the LAN. Thus, Puppy distros can be doing productive work running in a VM on the LAN. If so, this is just one more reason for remote desktop software running in a PUPPY so that you the LAN user can access it from anywhere on your LAN by starting, say, RDP to get an "X" Puppy desktop.

Further, many of us have multiple PUPs doing productive things in our homes on the LAN. But, in order to make even minor reviews, we MUST get up and walk into the room where that PC is, in order to logon or look at its desktop.

Remote desktop would move Puppy forward and carries great benefit to a majority of us.

But, thanks for sharing. Maybe now, the right community members can assist all of us with this benefit.

Here to help

Mikrodots

#11 Post by Mikrodots »

No offense gcmartin, but this is not your thread. It was started by rranc1st and he mentions controling Puppy from Windows...

My reply was to Frank Cox who posed a question specifically pertaining to Windows, the question being: "Can you give me a reason why you would want to use Windows (to control Puppy) at all ?"

And I believe I answered his question -

So - while I agree with you that remote control would be a valuable addition to Puppy, I respectfully disagree that this particular thread, from the person who started it to those who answered it, is not about controlling Puppy from Windows.

Again - no offense intended, I simply disagree.

Now - how do we fix that remote control problem?

Best,

Mikrodots

gcmartin

Fixing - remote control connection to a PUPPY from a LAN PC

#12 Post by gcmartin »

Mikrodots wrote: ... Now - how do we fix that remote control problem?
Mikrodots
YES! That's a question that about once a year, I try to get someone with skills to assist in this for the Puppy community.

Here the issue from my single focus point of view: Using a ubiquitous tool that is generally found in Windows, Macs, and Linux for running an RDP client for WYSIWYG desktop. (I know, thats a mouthful to say I want to login and get a desktiop from somewhere else on the LAN).

Login to Microsoft was solved over 10 years ago by a gentleman who (as I remember) no longer supports it, but, it just worked,then and now. His Linux version give adequate performance and many distro owners in the Linux world still include his general purpose tool. I have seen this tool in Puppy as well. SO THE CLIENT SIDE WORKS! It may not produce the OS integrations that Microsoft has achieved, but, it gets you a desktop in LInux from a Microsoft Terminal Service (running from Win98 all the way to Windowsy7 including Microsoft Server products).

ON THE LINUX SERVER SIDE
One product stands tall....XRDP. But, excepting for RedHat/Suse/Ubuntu which includes it in their Repos over the years, we DO NOT HAVE IT IN Puppy as a PET, yet.

Should the server PET be produced, I think we will gain a very good solution. Your suggestion that you show, and with VM getting more and more "press" in Puppyland, this could be a real help to LAN users in Puppyland who want to login to their Puppy desktiop that resides somewhere else on the LAN (like another room, or another PC, or even another Virtual Machine).

Since the client is already ever-present, we just need that server to complete the picture for being able to access the Pup from somewhere else.

I'm hoping someone with some skills in compiling can make one for use here.

Fingers crossed that talent in our community has a moment to help us.

I will write a user guide should I see XRDP in Puppyland: it will contain pics and examples of use for new users (at the time it comes to Puppy, everyone of us will be new to this technology).

Thanks for what you share

Security could be a reason that could/would be used to discourage its use because Puppy works from a single user design. But, Security is NOT a good reason, because password security has always been built-in to Puppy for the root user...Always.

Fingers crossed

backi

#13 Post by backi »

Hi everybody !
Mostly i am using DpupExprimo . A few days ago i started looking in to the topic of " how to transfer data from different machines to each other ,wireless way,via internet ,via router how ever " . I managed to transfer my first file from my notebook to my netbook via Gftp . Became more interested in things like networking ,remote access and remote desktopcontrol ,desktopsharing things like that.Quite complicated stuff. Now i am on the brink to a nervous breakdown . Sometimes When i am stuck to a problem i turn into a pitbull fighting for his bone . While googling wild these topics , nearly completely insane ,i stumbled across this Teamviewer 7 Programm downloaded the deb and installed it on my testing USBstick using dpup .
Much to my surprise ,this programm did all what i was looking for ,and even a few things more in a complete simple way .It did things i even did not know that they existed. I could connect my two Puppy Computers remotely to each other . Dead simple way .I was surprised .To good to be true ?
A software like this in an open source linux version is what i need .
I am just a linuxpuppy beginner , but some voices in my head tell me that you linux guys should keep an eye on this incredible piece of software . Maybe someone could use it as a starting point for an opensource project regarding this area .Dont have much time . "Remote control would be a valuable addition to Puppy ."
I could not go deeper into all these postings above ,cause i am in a hurry ,but i hope you guys keep on rocking this topic on .
Maybe see you later ! Cheers!!