Precise Puppy 5.4 and 5.4.2

Please post any bugs you have found
Sage

#21 Post by Sage »

5.4: technically rather nice.
It doesn't like SiS video (in common with others) - black screens, struggle to get a VESA picture. But it does like the Cohiba/Wiston/p054g dongle. Doesn't do ISA and says so. Likes Flash, already installed.
Still don't like the wallpaper and icons! C'est la vie.
Where to next - don't think it would take too much to boost Racy from v.g. to pure excellence?Anyone for a slice of Pi?
Like this, don't like that. Do I like FaceTube? No.

artsown

#22 Post by artsown »

Since Precise 5.4 is still giving me black screens sometimes
at bootup on all three of my machines here, I'd appreciate
a check on my CD burning (which I always do low 4X speed).
The MD5 of my puppy_precise_5.4.sfs is:
AE88A8C227D3EA6F68B824EE0BD17BD3

Test machine 1 is a Dell Dimension 2350 with P4 1.8 ghz,
768 meg RAM and Intel video driver

Test machine 2 is a Dell Precision 330, P4 1.7 ghz,
768 meg RAM and video card Nvidia (but Puppy
Personal setting claims it's using Vesa)

Test machine 3 is a IBM Net Vista, P4 2.0 ghz,
512 meg RAM, Intel chipset and video

Windows XP and other puppies run fine on these
PCs.

Art

rcrsn51

#23 Post by rcrsn51 »

artsown wrote:The MD5 of my puppy_precise_5.4.sfs is: E88A8C227D3EA6F68B824EE0BD17BD3
That is correct. Is this happening after you have made a savefile with a working video setup?

Does it happen after hard or soft reboots?

Master One

#24 Post by Master One »

Hi there,

I am new to Puppy in search for an alternative to Lubuntu since they dropped non-PAE support with the 12.10 release, because I have an IBM ThinkPad T42p with Pentium M processor.

So I am eagerly awaiting the release with non-PAE kernel, to give Precise Puppy 5.4 a try.

BTW Will there be a 64bit edition of Precise Puppy 5.4? Is that what "Fatdog64" is about?

Greetings from Austria,
Master One

artsown

#25 Post by artsown »

rcrsn51 ... thanks for responding. Yes, save files are made. In all my
tests I do frugals to hard drive. Video is working ok. The (mostly)
black screens occur after hard reboots (reboot PC). Since the bottom
toolbar still works I can use menu and do a Restart X Server which
fixes the problem for that session (unless the wrong video driver has
been chosen in which case all you get is a completely white screen
or gibberish screen and you can't even get into menu).

The black screens at bootup seem to occur randomly. It's hard
to judge their frequency of occurance since I can't sit here all day
rebooting different test machines in order to do statistics :) But
very roughly I'd say it happens at least 1 out of 5 hard reboots.
Like flipping coins, sometimes I get streaks of several in a row.
All three of my machines behave the same in this regard.

Art

artsown

#26 Post by artsown »

rcrsn51 ... thanks for responding. Yes, save files are made. In all my
tests I do frugals to hard drive. Video is working ok. The (mostly)
black screens occur after hard reboots (reboot PC). Since the bottom
toolbar still works I can use menu and do a Restart X Server which
fixes the problem for that session (unless the wrong video driver has
been chosen in which case all you get is a completely white screen
or gibberish screen and you can't even get into menu).

The black screens at bootup seem to occur randomly. It's hard
to judge their frequency of occurance since I can't sit here all day
rebooting different test machines in order to do statistics :) But
very roughly I'd say it happens at least 1 out of 5 hard reboots.
Like flipping coins, sometimes I get streaks of several in a row.
All three of my machines behave the same in this regard.

Art

Sage

#27 Post by Sage »

still giving me black screens
- follow my previous strategy: use <puppy pfix=ram, nox vga=nromal screen=800x600>
That means you can always get back to a visual prompt where you can do the xorgwizard, then xwin business with probing, choosing & VESA until you hit a winning combination.
Can't imagine incomers bothering, but the regulars around here know most of these tricks.
If you've got SiS chipsets it might be better advice to give up and settle for Mint! Additionally, don't try multi-booting with 'doze if you're a new lad, it can drive you crazy - cheaper to buy a separate used 80Gb drive from eBay for a few quid. Maybe someone will give you an old HD - that's the big advantage of compact Linux distros, they don't use up much space even when decompressed for a FULL installation.

Jasper

#28 Post by Jasper »

Hi BarryK,

I rarely try new versions of Puppy because Slacko 5.3.1 suits my needs, but with Precise Puppy 5.4 waving a Long Term Support (LTS) tag and with yourself as the author I have tried this Puppy.

It's provided my fastest experience to date when loading SeaMonkey and PPM and I very much like your choice of clean, clear displays and have made no theme or background changes.

Thank you so much for all your development work and earlier Puppies and for Precise Puppy which is intuitive and a real pleasure to use and I'll continue exploring it occasionally.

However, I started using Slacko on your personal recommendation and since 2011 I've added apps and made small tweaks to my entire satisfaction so I'll stick with it.

My regards

mikeslr

Precise 5.4 working fine, one exception

#29 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Barry K & all,

Manual Frugal Install to computer with:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital

OOTB everything, including Ati Radeon Graphics, working well and able to use all my usual applications and configurations, with one exception. I was able to clear up the occasional indistinct dialogue text by changing from the stark-bluish theme to the Gradient-bluish theme.
The one exception is that I run gimp and expected to be able to use the gimp-2.8.-precise.sfs. When it would not start from the menu, I attempted to start it from the terminal. That reported that it was aborted because of a dbus problem: malformed or misplaced --sorry I don't recall exactly. I don't recall experiencing that in prior versions of precise. 5.4, however, was able to run gimp-2.7.2.sfs. Not sure where I got that from.

@ Master One:
Barry K has indicated his intention to publish a new non-pae version of precise, with instructions for those interested to periodically check his blog. See first post of this thread for link to same. If your unwilling to wait, there are two non-pae versions by Barry K available from http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/test/ and another from oldyeller, I believe to still be available from the link on this thread:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80473. At least one of them worked well from a USB-Key plugged into my T42. I don't recall which as, about a month ago, I mailed the key to my son who has a T51 (almost the same specs).
If you don't mind a little trip, an easy way to find out which worked is to make arrangements to meet him. He's currently in Munich.
To my knowledge, no one has either built nor indicated an intention to build a 64-bit puplet using ubuntu precise binaries. Fatdog64 is, I believe either a T2 build or built using Slackware binaries. I believe tazoc's Lighthouse64 5.14.2 is, and his planned 5.15 RC1 will be, Slackware constructions.

I, too, would like to see a 64-bit precise. But not for the T42 which I don't believe is able to handle a 64-bit operating system.

mikesLr

p.s. Sorry, I forgot that Jejy69's Mate, using the gnome desktop, is also available: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79943
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 23 Oct 2012, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

Ray MK

#30 Post by Ray MK »

Sage said:
Still don't like the wallpaper and icons! C'est la vie.
Where to next - don't think it would take too much

1)Hopefully Jejy69 will do his excellent LXDE makeover.
2)If pemasu also added his very special technical magic to Precise.

We would then have two outstanding Puppy’s.

3)If then another Puppy maestro (who said ttuuxxx) also did a non-pae version.

I strongly suspect virtually everyone would be very happy.

4)Yes - a 64bit version from kirk & jamesbond.

That would really do it.

Anyway - as it is Precise seems good - many thanks BK.

Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Jim1911

#31 Post by Jim1911 »

Thanks for your great new Precise Puppy 5.4. It's working great.

Please consider adding Pemasu's Bibletime to the puppy-precise repository. It works great and Bibletime along with Xiphos, installed with the PPM using the Ubuntu repository makes a super Bible study system.

Thanks again,
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(44.11 KiB) Downloaded 2489 times

Caneri

#32 Post by Caneri »

Hi Jim1911,

How about we leave the Christians to develop their own puplet with your own repository and leave the official Puppy to the rest of us that are not NUTS. We're just a bunch of geeks.

We also need a Muslim/Jewish/Agnostic/Atheist and all waring tribes version, I figure, if this is allowed.

Eric

PS..I guess I'm going to Hell for this....so leave the propaganda to Mitt
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Jasper

#33 Post by Jasper »

Hi Caneri et al,

There are apps especially written for Puppy which work well with Precise Puppy (e.g. from radky), but are seemingly not available via the PPM.

Personally, I would not use a Bible app, but I have not the smallest objection to such an inclusion in the PPM. Though if it is not added, perhaps an existing Bible pet will work and is readily available.

My regards

mavrothal

Saving to SDcard

#34 Post by mavrothal »

Before we get to an all out relegion, freedom of speech/choice etc debate :roll: ...
Did anyone tried to boot from an SDcard and then save to the entire SDcard partition?
I can see the files there after reboot but puppy keeps booting to pupmode 5, as for the first time.
It would appear that the issue is with the rc.shutdown but before I start digging would be good to know if is not something specific to my card/hardware.
Besides is getting late tonight
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Jasper

#35 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

With two of the icon sets I can easily see if the Trash can is empty or used. With the other two sets I cannot.

Has any other user experienced this?

My regards
Attachments
image-1.png
I have changed the &quot;full&quot; co;ours on the set I use
(44.9 KiB) Downloaded 2296 times
Last edited by Jasper on Tue 23 Oct 2012, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#36 Post by cthisbear »

BarryK:

I am going to give a Dell report next...
but in regard to donations....

Is my last post correct?...

your old mail address is still correct,
even though you now live in Perth???

Donations to Barry for all his hard work

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 176#660176

Chris.

openwell3

Precise Puppy 5.4 live CD looks great!

#37 Post by openwell3 »

Just tried out the live CD with great results.
Fast and beautiful new look.
I have been looking around since 5.2.8 stalled out and fatdog64 went different direction. Many distros around, but this 5.4 Puppy gives me familiar puppy-like features going forward. Great job to all involved in this new release.
Many thanks! :D

dancytron

It actually recognized my firefly remote

#38 Post by dancytron »

It automatically recognized my Firefly remote and loaded the module. Puppy has never done that before. Excellent.

Here is what pupscan had.

Manufacturer=X10 WTI
Product=RF receiver
VendorID=0bc7 ProductID=0008 KERNEL-MODULE=ati_remote

With the remote in the text editor, you can type numbers and navigate with the arrow keys. It doesn't do anything in Mplayer, but at least the remote is talking to the computer.

Is there a config file or utility I can use to assign keys and get it to really work?

It would mean that I don't have to use XP to use my remote.

Here is the remote. http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/ It was also sold under other labels.

Thanks for all the hard work.

rovingmutt

to caneri and the other in this forum who support him

#39 Post by rovingmutt »

I enjoy puppy linux and all it's version alot and have been using it for many years, but i have been away for many months, but had some time to check out barry and his work etc...

and was enjoying the forum, and then the comment about a simple question that another person would like in precise puppy. then i remembered why i left, geeks indeed,

rovingmutt,
i will continue roving, and leave those who hate
to themselves

666philb

#40 Post by 666philb »

openshot from the ubuntu repo doesn't work without a bit of tweaking, and getting to work was my project for the last few days as well as trying to understand why python apps have been causing problems with puppy (for me anyway),

after a lot of head scratching i'm pleased to say i succeeded and are now up for some new challenges. :)

so if you have a python app that you want to work on precise, PM me and i'll see if i can sort it, and learn something in the process.

get openshot 1.4.3 precise here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 179#660179
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331