VirtualBox for many Puppies

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
TheAsterisk!

Re: Thank you!

#121 Post by TheAsterisk! »

UPDATED to VirtualBox release 4.2.0
I'll remove the 4.2.0 release candidates, but keep 4.1.22 available, just in case Oracle has snuck in any bugs or regressions.
tazoc wrote:Thank you for these. :D You've made VirtualBox a lot easier for many Puppians! Although Lighthouse64 has a System Tool to d/l and install VBox, it requires the large combined devX/kernel src SFS. I'm assuming your Pets do not--a big help for those without a reliable broadband connection, or who prefer not to install an SFS.

Regards,
TaZoC
That's right, my packages should not require the DEVX module, assuming everything works as intended and tested. (The only funny spot was that I think Fatdog 601 uses TXZ compression for dot-pets, instead of TGZ. Made for some confused fun the first time I tried to unpack them!)
Anyway, happy to help out where I can! Thanks for the kinds words, TaZoC!

01micko

#122 Post by 01micko »

Hello

VirtualBox was failing with a thud in Slacko-5.3.6.5 Beta2 and through the persistence of CatDude it now works.

I am speculating that it has to do "kmod", the new replacement for module-init-tools. The pet is patched with this line @line 250 in /virtualbox-4.2.0_src.install/opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxhost/vboxdrv/Makefile

Code: Select all

-DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DFORTIFY_RUNNING
Also, modprobe -l $MODULE fails with modprobe: invalid option -- 'l' but this is not fatal and isn't patched. This is definitely to do with kmod.

Here is the patched pet. http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... ched-s.pet
md5<-- 2243dbfe7195661fc40531a694d91e02 virtualbox-4.2.0_src.install_patched-s.pet

I don't know what the behaviour will be like outside of Slacko Beta, ymmv. It will likely suit pemasu's dpup based on wheezy (NOT exprimo!!!) as that ships with kmod too.

Hope this is useful to someone.
Cheers
Attachments
capture22701.jpg
(30.47 KiB) Downloaded 2368 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

TheAsterisk!

#123 Post by TheAsterisk! »

UPDATED the 32-bit Puppies' packages to VirtualBox version 4.2.2. 64-bit packages will be up soon, and Slacko 5.3.6.5-beta support is forthcoming (see above, below).

EDIT: Support for Precise Puppy 5.4 is also on its way. (I only just found out about the final release a moment ago! :oops:)

01micko wrote:Hello

VirtualBox was failing with a thud in Slacko-5.3.6.5 Beta2 and through the persistence of CatDude it now works.

I am speculating that it has to do "kmod", the new replacement for module-init-tools. The pet is patched with this line @line 250 in /virtualbox-4.2.0_src.install/opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxhost/vboxdrv/Makefile

Code: Select all

-DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DFORTIFY_RUNNING
Also, modprobe -l $MODULE fails with modprobe: invalid option -- 'l' but this is not fatal and isn't patched. This is definitely to do with kmod.

Here is the patched pet. http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... ched-s.pet
md5<-- 2243dbfe7195661fc40531a694d91e02 virtualbox-4.2.0_src.install_patched-s.pet

I don't know what the behaviour will be like outside of Slacko Beta, ymmv. It will likely suit pemasu's dpup based on wheezy (NOT exprimo!!!) as that ships with kmod too.

Hope this is useful to someone.
Cheers
Thanks, 01micko. CatDude sent me a separate PM with the same information as to where and how to patch. I only got the message after I finished packaging up all the 32-bit version of VirtualBox 4.2.2 for the usual Puppies, but I do plan to try out the patch both on Slacko-5.3.6.5 and on some older Puppies. If it works well everywhere, I'll just modify and re-upload the "src.install" dot-pet, and make a "vboxdrv" package for the beta as I normally would. Otherwise, I can make a special installer for the newer Pups that will/may ship with kmod, and just add some more fun to my HTML guide(s). :lol:

I'll post any pertinent updates once I can.

tiangeng

#124 Post by tiangeng »

Would you build Virtualbox3.2.8 for Precise5.4?
Virtualbox4.x is too big. :D

TheAsterisk!

#125 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Added a VBox 4.2.2 package for Precise Puppy 540
tiangeng wrote:Would you build Virtualbox3.2.8 for Precise5.4?
Virtualbox4.x is too big. :D
I can certainly try. :wink:
Honestly, my first priority for VBox is to get 4.2.2 running for the Slacko 540 beta, and seeing how I can most easily and elegantly account for it and all the other puppies in the "src.install" package. (That, and I still have to update my JRE and JDK packages to the latest versions. :roll:) That being said, I'd be happy to try to get VBox 3.2.8 (or even a more recent 3-series release) running for Precise 540 once I've addressed that issue.

As always I'll update here when possible.

tiangeng

#126 Post by tiangeng »

I can certainly try. Wink
Honestly, my first priority for VBox is to get 4.2.2 running for the Slacko 540 beta, and seeing how I can most easily and elegantly account for it and all the other puppies in the "src.install" package. (That, and I still have to update my JRE and JDK packages to the latest versions. Rolling Eyes) That being said, I'd be happy to try to get VBox 3.2.8 (or even a more recent 3-series release) running for Precise 540 once I've addressed that issue.

As always I'll update here when possible.
Thank you very much!

TheAsterisk!

#127 Post by TheAsterisk! »

@tiangeng: No problem!

INFORMATIONAL UPDATE
The patch for Slacko 5365 doesn't have any apparent effects on the other Puppies I make packages for, so the "src.install" package and the "vboxrv_DEV" packages will simply include the patch for the foreseeable future- unless something else changes. :lol:

Accordingly, I have made updated packages for VirtualBox 4.2.2 built with the patch applied and am uploading them now, first to my Dropbox mirror and shortly also to the SilverDollarSolutions.com mirror. I'll update the main post in just a bit.

I should also finally get access to some loaned 64-bit hardware tonight, and will get the packages for Fatdog64 and LighthousePup made and uploaded, too.

2012.10.25 @1515 CDT: Dropbox mirror 32-bit packages updated.
2012.10.25 @1605 CDT: SilverDollarSolutions.com mirror 32-bit packages updated.
2012.10.25 @ 2105 CDT: Dropbox mirror 64-bit packages added.

I'll leave the SilverDollarSolutions.com 64-packages set to upload overnight, and I'll update the main post in the morning.

Cheers!

TheAsterisk!

#128 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Fully updated to VIrtualBox 4.2.2

I may go back and delete the redundant VBox-4.2.0 packages after a few days.

I'll get to some 3-series packages as requested by tiangeng next. 8)

tiangeng

#129 Post by tiangeng »

I'll get to some 3-series packages as requested by tiangeng next.
Very good,thank you.[/quote]

TheAsterisk!

#130 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Added/adding 3.2.14 packages. 4.2.2 still most current, and still available.

Added 3.2.14-x86 packages, as per the request mentioned immediatlely above. All the usual Puppy releases are supported, and it has been patched to allow installation onto the up-and-coming Slacko release (among others), if that interests you.

Additional -amd64 dot-pets will be made up and uploaded soon, likely either tonight or tomorrow.

Otherwise, anyone interested in smaller, lighter packages who doesn't need the latest features of the 4-series releases may want to give these packages a try, too. 8)

tiangeng

#131 Post by tiangeng »

vbox3.2.14 for precise5.4 work fine!!
Thank you very much!!

Would you build VirtualBox 2.2.4 for precise5.4? :D
It's smaller,lighter.

shinobar

virtualbox-4.2.2.sfs

#132 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.2.2.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy and Slacko.
Available from http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/
Based on the pets by TheAsterisk!, but this SFS does not support 64bit Puppies.

Built-in kernel modules:
3.1.10-slacko_4gA
3.1.10-slacko_paeA
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

gcmartin

#133 Post by gcmartin »

Anyone notice this

There is a progress that is offered. The intent is to provide "near native" performance in VM clients when dispatched in the distro host.

My concern for community use is "in the offer, there, if it impacts anything in the VM host's operations". Any tests would help provide experiences for community understanding and benefit.

Comments appreciated.

TheAsterisk!

#134 Post by TheAsterisk! »

tiangeng wrote:vbox3.2.14 for precise5.4 work fine!!
Thank you very much!!
No problem!
Would you build VirtualBox 2.2.4 for precise5.4? :D
It's smaller,lighter.
You really like the older stuff, huh? :shock:
I've never run a VBox from before the 3-series, but you're giving me something to occupy my attention, so I'll give it a shot. No promises, though.

Next I suppose you'll ask for 1.6.6, eh? :P

@shinobar: Thanks! I'll update the version listed in the main post's link to your SFS.

TheAsterisk!

#135 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Added 64-bit packages for VBox 3.2.14

tiangeng

#136 Post by tiangeng »

You really like the older stuff, huh?
Yes, the Virtualbox 2.2.x is good enough for me! :D
Next I suppose you'll ask for 1.6.6, eh?
Virtualbox 1.6.6 ?
No,no,no,It's too older!
I like the 2.2.x series.
Thank you again!

TheAsterisk!

#137 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I know I'm a bit behind, but I've been trying to resolve hosting issues with my little website, and I'll also need to take down my Dropbox mirror. (The mirror hosted on SilverDollarSolutions.com will still be available, and another will be brought online within a week or so to take the Dropbox mirror's place.) Until that's done, don't expect too much in the way of updates.

Sorry! I hope you all can understand, and have abundant patience!

gcmartin

Let your Google ID help with your distributions

#138 Post by gcmartin »

This is just an idea that may help you in distribution.

Have you thought of using your Google ID for files you want to distribute.
  1. Login to your ID at Drive.Google.com
  2. Create a folder
  3. upload your files that you want others to access (do not let Google modify to its format)
  4. Set the rights; EITHER on the folder you created or on the file(s) you uploaded.
  5. On the forum or anywhere on the internet, make the URL to the file-folder available.
Simple. (Excepting for the likes of IBM, Google is the fastest transfer site in the world.)

Please don't mis-interpret my message as to be used as a REPO site. I am not. But, for some PETs/SFSs/documentation, this can be an ideal solution and helper.

Here to help

drblock2

Slack 5.4 PAE 3.4.17

#139 Post by drblock2 »

The Alternative Sourced-Based Installer works magnificently in Slack 5.4 PAE k3.4.17, where the Oracle run files that worked satisfactorily on earlier Puppies fail miserably - leading to hardware freeze.

I have reported on this here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 416#669416

Many thanks to TheAsterisk!

TheAsterisk!

Re: Let your Google ID help with your distributions

#140 Post by TheAsterisk! »

gcmartin wrote:This is just an idea that may help you in distribution.

Nice to know, and I'll keep it in mind. Otherwise, I've now set up a dedicated website with its own mirror of all my packages. I can update this one by hand and directly, with an FTP upload of the revised files as needed, so it shouldn't be an issue any more.

Thank you for the thought, though!
drblock2 wrote:The Alternative Sourced-Based Installer works magnificently in Slack 5.4 PAE k3.4.17, where the Oracle run files that worked satisfactorily on earlier Puppies fail miserably - leading to hardware freeze.

I have reported on this here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 416#669416

Many thanks to TheAsterisk!
Happy to help! I'll be uploading some proper packages for Slacko 5.4 and a couple of other Puppies either later tonight or early tomorrow, too. I've been a bit too busy with work and family and paying for a replacement car lately, but I'll try to catch up with Puppy's inexorable march of progress very soon! Good to hear that my universal x86 installer is working well, though, even on puppies that I haven't actually tested myself yet!