Can we linK to Virtual machine to use its drivers

For drivers and kernel modules.
Pelo

Can we linK to Virtual machine to use its drivers

#1 Post by Pelo »

Hard disk with Windows plus Ubuntu :
with my Puppy, i dont succeed in using Windows driver for internet, would it be possible to make a link from Ubuntu one ?
Ubuntu connection works perfectly, both eth0 and wlan0.
Is'it crazy or not ?
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 16 Aug 2014, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Pelo.

Forget the windows drivers or digging into the Ubuntu repos.

Try this: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/frisbee

It should solve your connection problems in Puppy permanently.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

tallboy

#3 Post by tallboy »

You can make symlinks across partitions, but I don't think you can link across filesystems.
(please someone correct me if I am wrong here)

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

TheAsterisk!

#4 Post by TheAsterisk! »

tallboy wrote:You can make symlinks across partitions, but I don't think you can link across filesystems.
(please someone correct me if I am wrong here)

tallboy
Not quite sure what you meant because of your phrasing, but I regularly store files on an SD card formatted to FAT32 in my inbuilt card reader, and then symlink the directories there back "into" my main hard drive partition (ext3). Just to make it more interesting :P, the card's filesystem is itself mounted in a subdirectory of "/root".

(The card reader can't write without messing up filesystems (hardware issue) but still reads just fine, so I store seldom modified files there, and write-protect the card with its little switch to avoid any accidents. My music, for instance, is on the card in directory "audio" but symlink'd via "Audio_Files" back into my main file storage directory on the hard drive.)

Anyway, it might not be a good idea to do that with the drivers. Differences between kernels or underlying utilities and dependencies could make that pretty messy.

Pelo

Come back to the subject

#5 Post by Pelo »

well noticed yr information. since 2012, i learnt a lot of things about links between distros.
My first aim is to connect Lucid 528 wireless. what is still impossible on my computer. Newer Puppies uses iwlwifi wext as wireless driver on my Medion P7624.
What about underdog ? cound'nt it be able to make usable uBuntu drivers ? Or more simply, recent puppies ones ?
Frisbee does not do better with the subject, in my opinion, firmware should be uptaded in Lucid 528.
I will come back to inform you about my tries (foolish tries).

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

No you cannot load drivers from another kernel compile.

Though there is an option for the kernel compilation to enable trying to be able to load other drivers than the ones from kernel compile configuration, it never worked for me.

Iguleder

Re: Come back to the subject

#7 Post by Iguleder »

Pelo wrote:well noticed yr information. since 2012, i learnt a lot of things about links between distros.
The term "link" is a very non-technical choice for describing your proposal.

You can use Ubuntu's drivers, but you'll have to use Ubuntu's kernel (which is impossible, because Puppy's init scripts rely on some configuration items) or recompile it with a different configuration (so you end up with a regular Puppy kernel, except the minor modifications the Ubuntu developers did).

EDIT: forgot to mention, you're looking for ndiswrapper. Puppy has it.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Pelo

Ndiswrapper always fails to find anything

#8 Post by Pelo »

Ndiswrapper always fails to find anything, on my computers. Unfortunately. It's amazing that we have bridges to windows with wine and ndiswrapper and no bridge to linux distros.
Well noticed that my tries wont have any chance of success. I go back to bed.

Pelo

Would it be possible to link to Virtual box drivers ?

#9 Post by Pelo »

Would it be possible to link to Virtual box drivers ? audio is weak with Puppy. And if we link to audio pilots of the virtualbox installed on windows Hard disk, that's impossible too ?
The subject was Ubuntu drivers, but no hope in this way.