How to build a Puppy with woof2

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
oldyeller

How to build a Puppy with woof2

#1 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone,

I am putting together this tutorial on woof2. I would also suggest that you use the puppy for which you want to build with woof2.

I strongly suggest that if you have never used woof2 or woof before to build the original puppy first to get a feel on what everything does.

This does require firefox webbrowser.

1) first go here http://bkhome.org/fossil/woof2.cgi/wiki ... +with+Woof and read about getting started with woof2.

2) After you have created your folder and before you did merge2out this is what you should have. Make sure to read all the readme files before you start anything. #2png
Attachments
woof2-1.png
(13.25 KiB) Downloaded 2280 times
woof2-2.png
(24.31 KiB) Downloaded 2376 times
Last edited by oldyeller on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.

oldyeller

#2 Post by oldyeller »

The next 7 pictures shows what you can choose for creating your Puppy, whether it be arm or x86.

It will also ask about what linux distro you want to build from.
Attachments
woof2-3.png
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 2434 times
woof2-4.png
(6.68 KiB) Downloaded 2358 times
woof2-5.png
(5.64 KiB) Downloaded 2493 times
woof2-6.png
(6 KiB) Downloaded 2356 times
woof2-7.png
(5.82 KiB) Downloaded 2464 times
woof2-8.png
(7.51 KiB) Downloaded 2557 times
woof2-9.png
(10.12 KiB) Downloaded 2307 times
woof2-10.png
(6.71 KiB) Downloaded 2293 times

oldyeller

#3 Post by oldyeller »

Now we will take a look at the gui and the tabs that are there and what they are for. I will try and give ideas on what you can do to change things once you get comfortable with woof2.

Before we look at the gui let us look at the folders and files that will be there. Again you want to go into all the folders and read any of the Readme files first before you do anything. They will give you information that will help with your build.

In can go into the folder rootfs-skeleton and add or even remove some things that you don't want in your build that is in by default. ONLY do this if you know what you are doing.

If you want to make a splash-screen image than go to the boot folder and find boot-dialog and there you will get the information to do so.
Attachments
infolder.png
(120.92 KiB) Downloaded 2501 times

oldyeller

#4 Post by oldyeller »

Now we will take a look at the gui. Here we will take a look at the first four tabes. These pictures are self explaining.

1) The Specification tab here you can name what your puppy will be called and the number of your build. Also you can choose your kernel as well.

2) The Pet Repos tab you don't have to update this when you first download woof2 for it will already be up to date.

3) The Compact Repo tab the same applies here as well.

4) The Download dbs tab here you will need to update the compact distro database and only these get updated.
Attachments
Specifications.png
(112.78 KiB) Downloaded 2494 times
Petrepo.png
(115.46 KiB) Downloaded 2472 times
Compactrepo.png
(107.53 KiB) Downloaded 2472 times

oldyeller

#5 Post by oldyeller »

Now on to the next three tabs

1) Choose pkgs tab this one I don't touch the reason is this unless you know what pkgs need to be in puppy, when you add pkgs that will be the only ones that will be in the build.

I will get into how to add pkgs after we go through the gui.

2) Download pkgs tab here there really is nothing that needs to be said, except that if a pkge doesn't get downloaded you will have to get it from the web. Either form ibiblio or archive site of the compact distro that you are using for your build.

3) Build pkgs tab here it takes all the pkgs and unpacks them and makes them ready for the build.
Attachments
Choosepkgs.png
(125.49 KiB) Downloaded 2436 times
Download-pkgs.png
(114.13 KiB) Downloaded 2308 times
Build-pkgs.png
(97.55 KiB) Downloaded 2293 times

oldyeller

#6 Post by oldyeller »

Are last two tabs.

1) The kernel tab here to you can choose the kernel and what module option you want.

2) The Build tab. it says it all; this will build your puppy. It will take you through a series of questions throughout the build process that you will need to answer.

I will post these if they are really needed.
Attachments
Kernel-options.png
(156.16 KiB) Downloaded 2347 times
Build-Distro.png
(64.37 KiB) Downloaded 2275 times
Last edited by oldyeller on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

oldyeller

#7 Post by oldyeller »

So how does one add different pkgs to the build that are not a part of the puppy that they want.

1) in the puppy pkgs is where you can add the pet that you want to add. I would already have it downloaded and put in the packages-name of puppy folder. You can get the specs on the pet when you unpack it.

You can unpack by renaming it as a tar.gz file, inside will be the pet specifications that you will need to put in the puppy-pkgs-spec. You do this so that when woof checks for packages to be used it will find what you just added.

But wait you will need to add to the Distro-packages as well.

2) Distro-packages this is where you will say yes for the package you want to add, you can just add the name in. This is also where you can say no to the pkgs you don't want in as well. I would remove the folders as well if they where downloaded before.
Attachments
Packages-puppy.png
(37.61 KiB) Downloaded 2353 times
Distro-packages.png
(45.48 KiB) Downloaded 2394 times
Last edited by oldyeller on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

chrome307

#8 Post by chrome307 »

Excellent work .... thank you for submitting this :)

Maybe someone could offer to make it into a PDF with the inclusion of the screenshots??

oldyeller

#9 Post by oldyeller »

chrome307 wrote:Excellent work .... thank you for submitting this :)

Maybe someone could offer to make it into a PDF with the inclusion of the screenshots??

I can print to pdf from firefox if you like and post it up here as tar.gz file

mufeed2012

#10 Post by mufeed2012 »

oldyeller wrote:
chrome307 wrote:Excellent work .... thank you for submitting this :)

I can print to pdf from firefox if you like and post it up here as tar.gz file
I had already made a PDF File Ready! Here it is!
The Second Image has some kind of problem. It is not Showing Up.

tallboy

#11 Post by tallboy »

chrome307 wrote:Excellent work .... thank you for submitting this
Ditto!

This is absolutely a real kickoff that makes me want to play with puppy! Thanks again!

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

veronicathecow

#12 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi oldyeller, many thanks for instructions. I have got to the same place as before (but did some things that I hadn't done the previous time so thanks for that) but I am still getting the same problem as before

I clicked on remove package with the puzzle game highlighted and for about 10 minutes it remained unresponsive but showing high processor usage (3ghz quad core Athlon with 2 Gb RAM so it should fly). It's running on an ext4 not a 2 or 3 so I wonder if that's a problem? Then comes up with choose pet packages,"trouble is there are around 2500 packages and each one i choose is taking upto 10 seconds to move to the right panel and I can only pick one at a time.
Any thoughts appreciated
P.S. I wonder if I can manually edit
/mnt/home/woofproject/woof2/woof-distro/Packages-puppy-noarch-official
and
/mnt/home/woofproject/woof2/woof-distro/x86/ubuntu/Packages-puppy-5-official
and then re-start the gui?

oldyeller

#13 Post by oldyeller »

veronicathecow wrote:Hi oldyeller, many thanks for instructions. I have got to the same place as before (but did some things that I hadn't done the previous time so thanks for that) but I am still getting the same problem as before

I clicked on remove package with the puzzle game highlighted and for about 10 minutes it remained unresponsive but showing high processor usage (3ghz quad core Athlon with 2 Gb RAM so it should fly). It's running on an ext4 not a 2 or 3 so I wonder if that's a problem? Then comes up with choose pet packages,"trouble is there are around 2500 packages and each one i choose is taking upto 10 seconds to move to the right panel and I can only pick one at a time.
Any thoughts appreciated
I would not do anything in the section of Choose pkgs. Instead download all the pets that come with precise or the puppy you want as a base. When that is done than go and get the pkgs from either ibiblio or from ubuntu. And look at the pictures about adding to the build.

Adding in pkgs through the Choose pkgs section will remove all pkgs from the puppy and only put in what you want so if you don't know all that is needed for puppy you will not be able to build it.

I will be doing a complete pdf of everything in a couple of weeks-need the time as I have other things that I am doing. I will keep up with updating this thread.

Let me know what you decide to do as far as adding the pkgs

Cheers

veronicathecow

#14 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi oldyeller , I am posting from "Tony Precise" iso frugal.
Many thanks. I tried as you said with the defaults to see if I it was all "sane" and apart from the fact that it booted to console and I had to xorgwizrd and startx all seems well so far.
Strangely it booted fine into a virtualbox (apart from the mouse cursor issue which I have not got my head around)
I started running that evening you posted but it was taking so long to download that i left it running over night downloading packages at 50K/s. In the morning it was waiting asking for kernel and then it carried on for a while till the machine crashed big time.
Anyway following day I ran the packages download again and finished that and carried on to produce this iso!
Will have a play with this and then start fiddling with the knobs and levers on the woof program. Thanks again for all your hard work.
Will try the adding to the build bit from your earlier post.

P.S. Tried 2 re-boots now and each time I have to run startx will investigate more
Tony

oldyeller

#15 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick reminder about building Precise for you self. There are a lot of bugs being found. So I would suggest to wait until they are fixed in woof or wait for the SP1 that Barry is going to do.

Keep up with news from Barry at his new blog here. And from the new thread here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82092

Cheers

oldyeller

#16 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone

I have just did a pdf of this tutorial some of the pictures are on their own page in order for me to do this.

Will be updating the pdf as more things come up.

Get it here