Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 18:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
How about a .pet of Artha thesaurus / dictionary?
Page 2 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2009, 01:25    Post subject: xclip -> thesaurus  

That works really well, thanks. I forgot about xclip; I used that (or maybe xsel) myself a year or so ago in something I was working on (foksyfeyer - a screen reader+espeak configured assembly of console apps for Puppy).
jakfish

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2009, 09:44    Post subject:  

Now I'm a little lost.

How do I connect your original command of:

<Key mask="A" key="t">exec:gaiksaurus</Key>

to your nifty script?

Apologies for my hard-of-thinking,
Jake
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2009, 11:12    Post subject:  

First you create an executable shell script called thesaurus using the new code provided by technosaurus.

Then you put that shell script in /usr/local/bin

then you use:

<Key mask="A" key="t">exec:thesaurus</Key>

[instead of exec:gaiksaurus]

jakfish

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2009, 12:47    Post subject:  

Many thanks. I will give this a whirl.

Jake
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 22 Nov 2009, 21:56    Post subject:  

I made a pet here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49249

It can also do text to speech and google search from the clipboard

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov 2009, 20:31    Post subject: Artha works fine in dPup 482beta4
Subject description: Thanks sikpuppy & mcewanw

Thank you sikpuppy for creating the Artha pet, and thank you mcewanw for bringing it to my attention.

Though still in beta, gposil's dpup482 is stable and may be the fastest puplet I've used. Abiword 2.80, its default wordprocessor, doesn't have a thesaurus. Intending to ask gposil about it, I accidentally clicked new topic, and mcewanw, replying, called Artha to my attention. As I indicated in my response to his reply, I'm reporting, after installation, that Artha runs fine under dpup.

A couple of questions, however. Sikpuppy's first message was

"You[b] may [/b] need to do this first:Click" {Emphasis mine} which when done opens to:
"Type about:config in the URL box.
Enter: general.useragent.extra.seamonkey in the filter box.
Double click on the entry.
Change the entry in the popup box to Firefox.
Have fun!"

As I mentioned, on my system Artha runs fine without it, i.e., opens, works, stays in memory, is called up with Alt-Ctl-w. I assume the instructions were to customize Seamonkey or Firefox. What are they supposed to do? and when are they needed? By not doing that, am I missing out on some functionality?

As mentioned, Artha stays resident in memory. Is there some way to turn it off, other than thru pprocess?

Thanks,

Mikeslr
sikpuppy

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov 2009, 21:02    Post subject: Re: Artha works fine in dPup 482beta4
Subject description: Thanks sikpuppy & mcewanw

mikeslr wrote:
Thank you sikpuppy for creating the Artha pet, and thank you mcewanw for bringing it to my attention.

Though still in beta, gposil's dpup482 is stable and may be the fastest puplet I've used. Abiword 2.80, its default wordprocessor, doesn't have a thesaurus. Intending to ask gposil about it, I accidentally clicked new topic, and mcewanw, replying, called Artha to my attention. As I indicated in my response to his reply, I'm reporting, after installation, that Artha runs fine under dpup.

A couple of questions, however. Sikpuppy's first message was

"You[b] may [/b] need to do this first:Click" {Emphasis mine} which when done opens to:
"Type about:config in the URL box.
Enter: general.useragent.extra.seamonkey in the filter box.
Double click on the entry.
Change the entry in the popup box to Firefox.
Have fun!"

As I mentioned, on my system Artha runs fine without it, i.e., opens, works, stays in memory, is called up with Alt-Ctl-w. I assume the instructions were to customize Seamonkey or Firefox. What are they supposed to do? and when are they needed? By not doing that, am I missing out on some functionality?

As mentioned, Artha stays resident in memory. Is there some way to turn it off, other than thru pprocess?

Thanks,

Mikeslr

That's to get the browser to connect properly to the SKydrive upload site, it has nothing to do with Artha. Skydrive doesn't accept Seamonkey as a browser so to download any of my files you need to change that setting.

All it does is pretend Seamonkey is Firefox for the purposes of connecting to sites that are pedantic about that sort of thing.

mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov 2009, 18:45    Post subject: How to turn-off Artha?
Subject description: It stays resident in memory

Hi sikpuppy:

Thanks for the response to my previous question. As I mentioned, Artha stays resident in memory unless pprocess is call up and Artha is terminated using it. Both my Desktop and my Laptop have 1 Gig or more of Ram, so for me the memory usage isn't particularly important. However, others with less robust systems may wonder if there was a more elegant way to remove it from memory. If not, perhaps you may consider including that option in the future.

[p.s. I posted the same question on Launchpad-Artha. I'll advise if I get a response.]

Thanks again,

Mike
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 25 Nov 2009, 00:09    Post subject: Re: How to turn-off Artha?
Subject description: It stays resident in memory

mikeslr wrote:
However, others with less robust systems may wonder if there was a more elegant way to remove it from memory.

Just the usual way for apps that stay resident on the tray/taskbar: you right click the icon and select "Quit". At least that is how it works in JWM (Puppy 4.3.1).

saima122

PostPosted: Thu 18 Mar 2010, 09:39    Post subject:  

u can also find urdu to eng dictionary from here....

english to urdu dictionary
technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 28 May 2010, 17:20    Post subject:  

I saw that a new version of artha was recently released, but after learning that it used wordnet, I instead hacked together this little one-liner:

here are my first attempts in case they are useful
Code:
wget -q -O - http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=$1 |sed "s/<li>/\n<li>/g" | sed "s/<\/ul>/\n/g" |grep "<li>" >/tmp/word.html && defaulthtmlviewer /tmp/word.html

#or this to view as a tailbox

wget -q -O - http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=$1 |sed "s/<li>/\n<li>/g" | sed "s/<\/ul>/\n/g" |grep "<li>" |sed "s/<[^>]*>//g" |Xdialog --tailbox - 0 0

#or defaulttextviewer
wget -q -O - http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=$1 |sed "s/<li>/\n<li>/g" | sed "s/<\/ul>/\n/g" |grep "<li>" |sed "s/<[^>]*>//g" |sed "s/S: //g" >/tmp/word.txt && defaulttextviewer /tmp/word.txt

but then I remembered my gaiksaurus script

Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ ! $1 ];then
MYWORD=`xclip -o`
else
MYWORD=$@
fi
gaiksaurus $MYWORD

but sometimes the clipboard has something you don't wan't so I settled on this (you can paste into the dialog)

Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ ! $1 ];then
MYWORD=`Xdialog --stdout --title "Psaurus" --inputbox "Enter a word to look up." 0 0`
else
MYWORD=$@
fi
wget -q -O - http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=$MYWORD |sed "s/<li>/\n<li>/g" | sed "s/<\/ul>/\n/g" |grep "<li>" |sed "s/<[^>]*>//g" |sed "s/S: //g" >/tmp/word.txt && defaulttextviewer /tmp/word.txt

(it is up to you if you want to turn on word wrap in your text viewer)

and I went ahead and made a command line version since all I had to do was change Xdialog to dialog and delete from the ">" on

(to get a navigable page instead of just text in psaurus change the last line to defaulthtmlviewer http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=$MYWORD)

... anyhow here is a pet package (sorry no menu entry)
psaurus.png
 Description   
 Filesize   12.79 KB
 Viewed   1173 Time(s)

psaurus.png

Psaurus-0.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  Psaurus-0.1.pet 
Filesize  620 Bytes 
Downloaded  514 Time(s) 

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2012, 12:48    Post subject: Artha thesaurus --works great in 2012 Pups  

Hi all,
Just wanted to mention that this build still works great in the latest Slacko, Precise, OV-Precise, and Exprimo.

mikesLr
technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2012, 17:27    Post subject:  

Wordnet 3.1 was published without announcement a month or 2 ago. I wrote the beginnings of a script to parse the dictionary into C code (not complete, but the idea was to be able to build it as a fast, single portable static executable). Is there any desire for such a beast? ... I totally forgot about Psaurus; does it need any updates?
6502coder

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct 2012, 19:18    Post subject: Re: Artha thesaurus --works great in 2012 Pups  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi all,
Just wanted to mention that this build still works great in the latest Slacko, Precise, OV-Precise, and Exprimo.

mikesLr

Thanks for the tip! Just added this pet to my Wary 5.1.4.1 setup.

Wary 5.1.4.1 frugal
300 Mhz Pentium II laptop
96 Meg memory
Dual-boot with Win98
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct 2012, 22:52    Post subject:  

Technosaurus, having only just now seen this thread and tried out the Artha .pet (in Racy 5.3), I'm impressed. Could your version of Wordnet make it work even better?
Page 2 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to: