No touchpad on new Precise install

Booting, installing, newbie
Cushie

No touchpad on new Precise install

#1 Post by Cushie »

Not easy to find an install .iso to USB flash drive.
'Create Start up Disk' in Ubuntu 12.04 would not recognise .iso.
Then tried 'Unetbootin' and all seemed ok. On booting up I have no touchpad control of curser! I looked in Hardinfo and it is listed, managed to get to Mouse/Touchpad setup found touchpad ticked but nothing working.

Any help to get this working (without a mouse( woukd be appreciated.

rjbrewer

Re: Touchpad

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

Cushie wrote:Not easy to find an install .iso to USB flash drive.
'Create Start up Disk' in Ubuntu 12.04 would not recognise .iso.
Then tried 'Unetbootin' and all seemed ok. On booting up I have no touchpad control of curser! I looked in Hardinfo and it is listed, managed to get to Mouse/Touchpad setup found touchpad ticked but nothing working.

Any help to get this working (without a mouse( woukd be appreciated.
Try "desktop > flSynclient".

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Cushie

#3 Post by Cushie »

Thanks 'rjbrewer' In the terminal 'flsyncient' brings up the Pad configure UI which I had already set.

However 'desktop > flsynclient' (both S & s for Synclient with and without a space after >) in the terminal all gave no such command.

I found FnKey +F7 puts touchpad 'on' after a few strokes. Then tried 'synclient' in terminal and found 'Touchpadoff =0'
but sadly the setting does not keep on reboot.

Any help to have this setting permanent would be a real help

rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

Cushie wrote:Thanks 'rjbrewer' In the terminal 'flsyncient' brings up the Pad configure UI which I had already set.

However 'desktop > flsynclient' (both S & s for Synclient with and without a space after >) in the terminal all gave no such command.
"desktop" is the 1st category in the menu.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

pemasu

#5 Post by pemasu »

I do not know why your touchpad is off, but you can put synclient commands for example to the /root/Startup.
Go to that folder, right click > New > Script. Rename it for example as synclient. Open that script so that it opens in Geany.

Add this row to the file: synclient TouchpadOff=0
so the file content is now:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
synclient TouchpadOff=0
Save. Done. Now that script will be executed at every X start or restart.
You can add other synclient commands to that file if needed.

iluminameluna

Turning OFF the touchpad at startup

#6 Post by iluminameluna »

I have the opposite issue. I DON'T want the touchpad activated. I couldn't figure out how to open the file mentioned as I'm used to using the sudo commands in Ubuntu.

In any case, I found the Folder > Startup in the File System > Rox-File Mgr (from the menu list). When I clicked on the Startup folder I found this: load touchpad settings
where I found this:

#!/bin/bash
flsynclient -s
I've added this:

#!/bin/sh
synclient TouchpadOff=1
This is opened in Geany and in the /root/Startup directory as the suggestion suggested. :wink:

Cushie: I don't know how to access the menu items without a mouse. I hope you figured it out.

I'm really hoping it works 'cause the piece of cardboard I've taped over the touchpad seems to cause overheating of the kb near it. Scary. & might be the reason my ram seems to be misbehaving.

Cushie

#7 Post by Cushie »

Thanks for your help, pemasu and iluminameluna. It will be my first attempt at a script and in the meantime I'll look for the startup folder and edit flsynclient.

iluminameluna

#8 Post by iluminameluna »

Cushie wrote:Thanks for your help, pemasu and iluminameluna. It will be my first attempt at a script and in the meantime I'll look for the startup folder and edit flsynclient.
If you follow my steps, no need to look much further. The ROX-File Manager will open into the /root folder right away and the Startup folder is right there. If you wish to add the lines of code, do a right click on the Starup folder & choose "Open as a text file" (or something similar). It will choose Geany by default so there's no need to overcomplicate that.

At that point, if you have your browser tab or window open to this forum, you can just copy & paste the code to the file. Save and close and you're done. It DID work for me. :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

iluminameluna, if you don't want your touchpad to work, then asking how to do that in a thread about getting a touchpad to work is liable to be ignored. :lol:

It would work better to start a new thread, with a title something like "How do I turn off my touchpad?" :)

tytower

#10 Post by tytower »

pemasu wrote:I do not know why your touchpad is off, but you can put synclient commands for example to the /root/Startup.
Go to that folder, right click > New > Script. Rename it for example as synclient. Open that script so that it opens in Geany.

Add this row to the file: synclient TouchpadOff=0
so the file content is now:

#!/bin/sh
synclient TouchpadOff=0
Save. Done. Now that script will be executed at every X start or restart.
You can add other synclient commands to that file if needed.
In my install of 5.31 the Startup Directory comes up at the bottom of the root directory as an "APP" file with different colour marking

You can't click on it, you must right click and choose "Look Inside" Then you can add a new text file as above

Alright that sorted, I did this, but I still cant get my "Acecat Flair " touchpad ? tablet ? to start up . It lights up at the boot up stage but when puppy loads the lights go out-Its a tablet but does it work the same as a touchpad?

tytower

#11 Post by tytower »

Hey speak of the devil
I have had my pad sitting here for a few months now unplugged .
Downloaded 5.4.2 recenty and thought to try this and it works now !

The power of suggestion or is somebody monitoring here and fixing broken stuff without saying a word ?

Its certainly worth posting your troubles.