Frugal install on SSD

Booting, installing, newbie
iluminameluna

Frugal install on SSD

#1 Post by iluminameluna »

I've gone through all the tutorials & followed the Beginners' Guide to a Frugal Install & even went over to #PuppyLinux channel on the freenode chat in order to ask advice on how to do a proper install on my SSD.

Info: I have an ASUS Eeepc 901 w/ 2 SSDs: 4g & 16g & 2g of RAM

I used the partition that was the swap file on the 16g SSD for my Lubuntu 11.10 installation. I used GParted to format it to ext3, used the Universal Installer & flagged it for boot & all seemed well.

I rebooted but that partition never showed up.

I tried to reinstall but I was told by the UI that that partition was mounted and in use.

I am currently running Wary 5.2.2 on a 1g flash card in the mini's card slot & it sees it just fine. It's also supposedly putting the save file on the card but whenever I boot up (as now) I have to reconfigure the wi-fi from scratch & reinstall LastPass & Xmarks each and every time.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

rcrsn51

Re: Frugal install on SSD

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

iluminameluna wrote:I rebooted but that partition never showed up.
Please explain. Are you saying that your BIOS didn't recognize the drive? Did you get a "GRUB>" prompt but no menu?

iluminameluna

#3 Post by iluminameluna »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Please explain. Are you saying that your BIOS didn't recognize the drive? Did you get a "GRUB>" prompt but no menu?
The BIOS Boot Option (Esc on my netbook brings up the boot options) menu didn't show that partition nor did it show up on my Wary desktop. I used GParted again and dbl-ck'd the partition and all the paramemeters are there.

I don't want to reformat the 2SSD's 'cause I'd like to keep my Lubuntu install (11.10 upgraded to 12.04) if possible. It's not a deal-breaker if I do though.

Can you help?

rokytnji

#4 Post by rokytnji »

I used the partition that was the swap file on the 16g SSD for my Lubuntu 11.10 installation. I used GParted to format it to ext3, used the Universal Installer & flagged it for boot & all seemed well.

I rebooted but that partition never showed up.
No where in that statement did I read that you wrote in Puppy frugal install boot menu in Lububtu Grub menu or that you installed Puppy Grub or grub4dos and added Lubuntu to that grub menu. I don't know if there is a language barrier maybe going on here either, because I did not get how your answer was relevant to rcrsn51 question about grub either.

I run a 900 eeepc dual drive 4gig 16gig SSD with AntiX 11. I don't dual boot it though. I have AntiX / installed to 4 gig SSD drive. /home is symlinked from / and running on 16gig ssd drive.

I do however quad boot a old Desktop PC with 2 hard drives and have frugal Macpup on one hardrive and other Linux on other partitions on the other hardrive. I use Legacy grub to boot all installs and have grub installed to root on conventional linux installs and the frugal Macpup entry was added manually by me into the Legacy Grub menu.

Code: Select all

timeout 10
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title AntiX  at sda1, kernel 3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp root=/dev/sda1 nomce quiet nosplash nouveau.modeset=0 vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp
boot

title Semplice GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-486
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
chainloader +1

title Vector STD Gold 7 at /dev/sda2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

title Puppy Linux 529 frugal in sdb1 dir macpup529frugal
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
kernel /macpup529frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=macpup529frugal
initrd /macpup529frugal/initrd.gz

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro
# kopt_2_6=root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro nosplash quiet

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,0)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
##      alternative=false
# alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
##      lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
## e.g. lockold=false
##      lockold=true
# lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
##      altoptions=(single-user) single
# altoptions=(init-3) 3

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
##      howmany=7
# howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
##      memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
## can be true or false
# updatedefaultentry=false

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
## can be true or false
# savedefault=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.5.2-antix.1-486-smp
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.2-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-3.5.2-antix.1-486-smp

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.5.2-antix.1-486-smp (init-3)
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.2-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro 3

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp (init-3)
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro 3

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel memtest86+
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/memtest86+.bin
All /boot/grub/menu.lst entries I had to edit manually and I installed grub to root on all other distro installs after First Linux install .
I don't want to reformat the 2SSD's '
You shouldn't have to. Just the 4gig ssd needs a blank linux partition for a Puppy install if Lubuntu install fits on the 16gig ssd drive. I bet your biggest problem in this thread is that you are using Grub2 to boot Lubuntu. Grub2 is not picking up your frugal Puppy Install. Though I am guessing this also because no version of grub has been mentioned in this thread either.

My take on this thread: (I could be wrong though, would not be the first time I was way off base :roll: )

You do not know how to manually insert frugal puppy boot menu lines into Lubuntu grub 2 boot menu. Well, I try and stay away from grub 2 unless I install grub 2 to root and chainload instead. I prefer Lilo, Legacygrub, grub4dos, instead when I install grub to mbr. So I can't help with editng grub2. Just posting so other members can get a idea on what you are going through (maybe).

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

iluminameluna wrote:nor did it show up on my Wary desktop. I used GParted again and dbl-ck'd the partition and all the paramemeters are there
It's unusual that Gparted would show a partition as being correctly formatted but it doesn't get an icon on the Puppy desktop.

1. Instead of just re-formatting the old swap partition, delete it. Then make a new ext partition in the unallocated space.

2. From the Puppy menus, run Desktop > Desktop Drive Icon Manager.

Select Tick Box to redraw icons

Run Menu > Shut Down > Restart X server.

iluminameluna

#6 Post by iluminameluna »

rokytnji wrote: No where in that statement did I read that you wrote in Puppy frugal install boot menu in Lububtu Grub menu or that you installed Puppy Grub or grub4dos and added Lubuntu to that grub menu.
I apologize for not addr'g this 2nd part to the question. Have been trying to work thru a migraine & sinus infection so not tracking properly.

Ans: I didn't get any type of GRUB msg, at all! I didn't know you had to edit/modify the GRUB when you wanted to do a dual boot. I'd only done one back in the days of WinXP's beginnings but not since then & I sincerely don't remember having to do anything like that.

I'm feeling chastised but I haven't seen anywhere in the Beginner's section where GRUB should be edited/modified.
I run a 900 eeepc dual drive 4gig 16gig SSD with AntiX 11. I don't dual boot it though. I have AntiX / installed to 4 gig SSD drive. /home is symlinked from / and running on 16gig ssd drive.
This sure sounds like something that would work for me. I have self-same SSD's w/ a thumb drive holding my Lubuntu /home. Not clear on how to symlink though but I'm sure I can figure it out eventually. I've seen refs to that (symlink) in other posts & understand how it works but not "edumacated" enough to know how to apply it yet. I'm a hands-on learner so things I read make sense usually only after I "see" how it's done.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I do however quad boot a old Desktop PC with 2 hard drives and have frugal Macpup on one hardrive and other Linux on other partitions on the other hardrive. I use Legacy grub to boot all installs and have grub installed to root on conventional linux installs and the frugal Macpup entry was added manually by me into the Legacy Grub menu.

timeout 10
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title AntiX  at sda1, kernel 3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp root=/dev/sda1 nomce quiet nosplash nouveau.modeset=0 vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp
boot

title Semplice GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-486
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
chainloader +1

title Vector STD Gold 7 at /dev/sda2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

title Puppy Linux 529 frugal in sdb1 dir macpup529frugal
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
kernel /macpup529frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=macpup529frugal
initrd /macpup529frugal/initrd.gz

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
##      kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro
# kopt_2_6=root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro nosplash quiet

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,0)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
##      alternative=false
# alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
##      lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
## e.g. lockold=false
##      lockold=true
# lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
##      altoptions=(single-user) single
# altoptions=(init-3) 3

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
##      howmany=7
# howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
##      memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
## can be true or false
# updatedefaultentry=false

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
## can be true or false
# savedefault=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.5.2-antix.1-486-smp
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.2-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.5.2-antix.1-486-smp (init-3)
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.2-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro 3

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp (init-3)
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-3.3.5-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro 3

title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel memtest86+
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/memtest86+.bin
All /boot/grub/menu.lst entries I had to edit manually and I installed grub to root on all other distro installs after First Linux install.
WOW .. Ok .. Thoroughly impressed. I start antibiotics tomorrow 'cause it turns out I have pleuritis but will definitely read/work through your code as soon as it starts making me feel better. At this point, I know myself well enough to know that if I try anything complicated, I'm gonna screw it up soo badly, I'll "break" my Eee .. & it's the only comp I have!
I don't want to reformat the 2SSD's '
You shouldn't have to. Just the 4gig ssd needs a blank linux partition for a Puppy install if Lubuntu install fits on the 16gig ssd drive. I bet your biggest problem in this thread is that you are using Grub2 to boot Lubuntu. Grub2 is not picking up your frugal Puppy Install. Though I am guessing this also because no version of grub has been mentioned in this thread either.
Again, sorry. Didn't realize how much info I hadn't listed. & though I vaguely remember seeing how to get your grub ver, I don't remember, if I ever knew, how to find out which one I have. =(
My take on this thread: (I could be wrong though, would not be the first time I was way off base :roll: )

You do not know how to manually insert frugal puppy boot menu lines into Lubuntu grub 2 boot menu. Well, I try and stay away from grub 2 unless I install grub 2 to root and chainload instead. I prefer Lilo, Legacygrub, grub4dos, instead when I install grub to mbr. So I can't help with editng grub2. Just posting so other members can get a idea on what you are going through (maybe).
You hit the nail on the head! Give that man a cigar! Or "the lady some perfume!" =D.

I think, but I'm not sure, that Lubuntu 12.04 (upgraded from 11.10, not an install) uses grub4dos.

If someone can lemme know how to find out which ver of grub I'm using I'd be grateful. Not doing much research right now 'cause it won't work w/ my raggedy brain function.

However, I'm deeply grateful for the incredible help you've already provided! Muahs! (& no don't care if you're the kissy type. I'm not but your help's been THAT appreciated!)

iluminameluna

#7 Post by iluminameluna »

rcrsn51 wrote:
iluminameluna wrote:nor did it show up on my Wary desktop. I used GParted again and dbl-ck'd the partition and all the paramemeters are there
It's unusual that Gparted would show a partition as being correctly formatted but it doesn't get an icon on the Puppy desktop.

1. Instead of just re-formatting the old swap partition, delete it. Then make a new ext partition in the unallocated space.

Will do this first. Just in case it turns out to be this easy. Which would NOT surprise me or anyone who knows me well. *sigh*

rokytnji

#8 Post by rokytnji »

I think, but I'm not sure, that Lubuntu 12.04 (upgraded from 11.10, not an install) uses grub4dos.
Lubuntu 12.04 uses Grub2. Only recent Puppy Linux isos have a grub4dos boot loader install option.

Hope you get well soon. I understand dual booting internally can be a challenge, especially to someone not used to it. I had to teach myself how to do this. Took me awhile also.

Get well first because when ill. Trying to make decisions and thinking clearly is next to impossible when sick.
This sure sounds like something that would work for me. I have self-same SSD's w/ a thumb drive holding my Lubuntu /home. Not clear on how to symlink though but I'm sure I can figure it out eventually

The symlinking part is easy. The editing of /etc/fstab so the changes will boot is the hard part. First get dual boot working. One thing at a time.

iluminameluna

#9 Post by iluminameluna »

rokytnji wrote:
Get well first because when ill. Trying to make decisions and thinking clearly is next to impossible when sick.

The symlinking part is easy. The editing of /etc/fstab so the changes will boot is the hard part. First get dual boot working. One thing at a time.
You're absolutely right. I know this but have to be reminded since I can be a bit of an obssessive when it comes to fixing tech or crocheting issues. Helps to be reminded. Thanks. It also prevents me self-kicking when I have to undo everything I do wrong while ill.

Just started antibiotics this morning so won't be "able" until this weekend, earliest, but sincere thanks. Will come back to post on this thread with the continuing saga.

I have a feeling, however, that it might be a hardware issue which wld mean buying a new comp. *sigh*

iluminameluna

#10 Post by iluminameluna »

rcrsn51 wrote:It's unusual that Gparted would show a partition as being correctly formatted but it doesn't get an icon on the Puppy desktop.

I did all of it but still no go. I even kept this post open while I did the steps to make sure I was doing it right.

Here's what GParted shows: http://imagebin.org/235639

Also, there was no Desktop Drive Icon Manager. At least no menu item listed as such or anything like it. Any ideas?

Again, thnx so much for all the help. My fever finally broke last night & I'm in pain but at least my brain is slightly clearer. =D
Last edited by iluminameluna on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

iluminameluna

#11 Post by iluminameluna »

rokytnji wrote:All /boot/grub/menu.lst entries I had to edit manually and I installed grub to root on all other distro installs after First Linux install .
Install grub to root? Like this: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=232 ? Wld just like to know if this is a good tutorial for installing the grub to the root partition, if that's what you meant.

It's not a language barrier but a newbie's attempt at doing a little more than just installing & using an OS right out of the box. I need to figure out how to stop my netbook from lagging & freezing when more than one process is running. I'm hoping a more compact OS will help vs having to buy a new comp, since my budget is pretty lean.

Just the 4gig ssd needs a blank linux partition for a Puppy install if Lubuntu install fits on the 16gig ssd drive.
Any particular reason why it should go in the 4g SSD? Right now it's on the 16g one.

I bet your biggest problem in this thread is that you are using Grub2 to boot Lubuntu. Grub2 is not picking up your frugal Puppy Install. Though I am guessing this also because no version of grub has been mentioned in this thread either.
I have this: grub-install (GRUB) 1.99-12ubuntu5
Well, I try and stay away from grub 2 unless I install grub 2 to root and chainload instead.
Chainload? I'm sorry to ask what appears to be a dumb question I cld just search for but I already crashed twice trying to load more than 2 tabs & I don't want to crash again. It's part of the reason I'm waging this battle.
I prefer Lilo, Legacygrub, grub4dos, instead when I install grub to mbr. So I can't help with editng grub2. Just posting so other members can get a idea on what you are going through (maybe).
No, this is a BIG help, I'm just needing suggestions for details that I don't understand.

Thank you for ALL your help!

rokytnji

#12 Post by rokytnji »

Ok Looking at your pic

http://imagebin.org/235639[

Your label where it says Puppy Linux should say instead / (at least that would be how I would label it).

We are not communicating very well I guess. I thought you had a dual drive eeepc eg: 4gig/16gig ssd drives (2 of them) because you said:
You Have Puppy Linux partition flagged as boot partition also.
I am not sure that will work on a frugal install until you run the grub4dos installer in the menu. Ususally on a frugal install. There is a txt file in /tmp one uses to add frugal puppy to what ever bootloader (you are using grub2) boots the system.

During the grub4dos install. Edit the Lubuntu grub entry to read (at the end it asks if you want to open grub4dos text file)

title Lubuntu
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
For grub4dos to boot the Ubuntu grub loader. Leave everything else alone in the grub4dos install process.

Anyhows. That is one way and how I would approach this. The other way is to edit grub2 and put what is in the text file in /tmp during a frugal install into grub2.

iluminameluna

#13 Post by iluminameluna »

rokytnji wrote:Ok Looking at your pic

http://imagebin.org/235639[

Your label where it says Puppy Linux should say instead / (at least that would be how I would label it).
I only labeled it so I wouldn't start getting confused as to what's loading where. I have trouble tracking things as a symptom of Lupus, not 'cause I don't know what I need to do, if that makes any sense. It's not a language issue, trust me. My one question abt this though, is: would the partition label actually make a diff? Isn't the partition designation what the OS uses to link partitions during installation? As in when GParted asks what you want to mount at that point in the partitioning process. Maybe I'm just confused abt it ..
We are not communicating very well I guess. I thought you had a dual drive eeepc eg: 4gig/16gig ssd drives (2 of them) because you said:
You Have Puppy Linux partition flagged as boot partition also.
I am not sure that will work on a frugal install until you run the grub4dos installer in the menu. Ususally on a frugal install. There is a txt file in /tmp one uses to add frugal puppy to what ever bootloader (you are using grub2) boots the system.
Oh, I don't know. Seems like we're doing just fine to me .. I think the frugal install process says at one point if you want to let the MBR remain as is or if you want to install something else to boot the partition. I left it as is but it also tells you to flag a partition as 'boot'. So I did both things: flagged sda6 as 'boot' AND left the MBR as is ..

Maybe, it just occurred to me, I need to go back & re-do the installation & this time choose something else (I don't remember the options) to boot the partition? Does that sound right?
During the grub4dos install. Edit the Lubuntu grub entry to read (at the end it asks if you want to open grub4dos text file)

title Lubuntu
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
For grub4dos to boot the Ubuntu grub loader. Leave everything else alone in the grub4dos install process.

Anyhows. That is one way and how I would approach this. The other way is to edit grub2 and put what is in the text file in /tmp during a frugal install into grub2.
This is were I have a bit of trouble, mostly due to so many periods. However, what I think I need to ask at this point is WHERE, exactly, IS the grub?! & how do I run the grub4dos install? From where?

As I'm running Lubuntu right now & having to write this reply in it, I don't have the Menu for Wary Puppy at my fingertips. I'm now having issues running Wary, even from the flash drive. Apps keep closing on me, even after rebooting. I'm thinking I might have to do any editing from Lubuntu THEN attempt to run Wary w/out the flash drive.

rokytnji

#14 Post by rokytnji »

Where is the grub for what? I am not following you I guess again. Lubuntu?

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html
how do I run the grub4dos install? From where?
My Desktop while in Macpup (screenshot)

iluminameluna

#15 Post by iluminameluna »

rokytnji wrote:Where is the grub for what? I am not following you I guess again. Lubuntu?
iluminameluna wrote:I'm thinking I might have to do any editing from Lubuntu THEN attempt to run Wary w/out the flash drive.
By this I meant just what I wrote, that since I'm not able to do ANYTHING in Wary, I might have to do .. whatever I needed to do to try to make Wary bootable .. from my Lubuntu desktop.
Thanks so much for the link to a GREAT tutorial for Grub! I've read some of it & already get a general idea of what's going on. Which I hadn't understood from anything I'd read about doing a Frugal Install of Wary.
iluminameluna wrote:how do I run the grub4dos install? From where?
My Desktop while in Macpup (screenshot)
I realize, re-reading my question, that my frustration got the best of me & I didn't phrase my question in a clearer or more concise way.

I should have asked: How do I install or load the Grub, from Lubuntu (IF you knew) so that the Wary Puppy I had installed would be an option in the Boot Menu.

At this point, I guess I need to move my issue to the Lubuntu forum & ask there, but I'm leaving my question here in case someone can give me a quick answer.

Again, thanks for trying to help, you've done so already. =D