Multisession DVD won't boot after first save

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
majorfoo

#1 Post by majorfoo »

I have tried three times (unsuccessfully) to create a multi-session dvd.

I burned a live iso to dvd-r, booted to desktop, made a few changes and shutdown.

At screen with options Save to File, Save to Cd or Do Not Save, I chose Save to Cd. Data was saved to DVD, However, I cannot get it to boot again.

I am using Lucid 525 iso as source.
First time I used Pburn and created a multi-session DVD. Second and third times I used burniso2cd to create the live dvd.

The initial boot works just fine. It is when I do the Save to Cd and try to reboot that problem occurs.

What am I doing wrong?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Have you read this thread? Is your computer a laptop? How old is it? Will the multisession DVD boot in another computer?

By the way, until you get this figured out, I recommend that you use a rewritable DVD if possible. That way you won't waste a lot of DVDs. Failing that, maybe a different brand of DVD-R or +R would work.

majorfoo

#3 Post by majorfoo »

Flash wrote:Have you read this thread? Is your computer a laptop? How old is it? Will the multisession DVD boot in another computer?

By the way, until you get this figured out, I recommend that you use a rewritable DVD if possible. That way you won't waste a lot of DVDs. Failing that, maybe a different brand of DVD-R or +R would work.
Computer is a desktop, HP Pentium 4, 2.8ghz, 2gb mem built around 2004-5

Original multisession dvd-r will boot on my laptop first time but will not boot after I do the save to cd routine.

Will look at thread you sugested above and burn to dvd-rw. Will report back after I check out the link above

Looking at this a little more, I noticed on reboot that the DVD tries to boot, however, grub takes over and boots to one of the full installs I have on hard drive. On the first boot of the live cd, it works fine, grub does not attempt to take over.

The saved session is shown on attached
Attachments
multisession.png
(190.68 KiB) Downloaded 1405 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Hmm, what is that second .sfs file? I don't recall ever seeing more than one .sfs file on a multisession DVD or CD. Here's my Puppy Precise multisession DVD:
Attachments
Precise Puppy DVD contents.jpg
(86.25 KiB) Downloaded 1366 times