Spider solitaire - Windows version - SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
wimpy

Spider solitaire - Windows version - SOLVED

#1 Post by wimpy »

So far the Windows version of Spider Solitaire is the best that I have seen. I can run it via wine but that leaves white artifacts on the card table when one moves cards around. After a while it begins to resemble a battlefield. In addition, hours after I last played spider, I can still find a load of processes (in htop) running out of c:\windows\system32, which I presume is part of wine (this is a dedicated puppy PC) - even after I've killed the wineserver. Apart from going through individually and killing each of the processes, is there an elegant way of closing wine and its attendant processes, when I no longer need them?
Are the white (bits-of-card) just a wine anomaly or am I looking at some sort of problem with the nvidia drivers?
Last edited by wimpy on Mon 26 Nov 2012, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

It could be the program and the way it handles the graphics that's causing artifacts, at least, in concert with Wine. Is there any mention of the particular game on WineHQ's compatibility list?

You might try David Bernazzani's Solitude - it's a freeware collection of Solitaire games that's always worked well with Wine, for me.

Hmm... wonder if there's a way to kill entire process trees of Wine processes.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Hello Wimpy,

not sure how the windows version is the best, but wonder if you've tried any linux variants?

Xpat2 has a spider version.
As does PySolFC.

If you download and install gnome-games-Lite_2.26.1-i486-uj.pet, then under Menu>Fun>AisleRiot you will find another spider version.

Lastly, if you download tcl_tk_plus.sfs, (User=puppy,pword=linux), then right-click & select sfs_load, you can try the tcl version of spider in the menu.

MasterNetra

#4 Post by MasterNetra »

muggins wrote:Hello Wimpy,

not sure how the windows version is the best, but wonder if you've tried any linux variants?

Xpat2 has a spider version.
As does PySolFC.

If you download and install gnome-games-Lite_2.26.1-i486-uj.pet, then under Menu>Fun>AisleRiot you will find another spider version.

Lastly, if you download tcl_tk_plus.sfs, (User=puppy,pword=linux), then right-click & select sfs_load, you can try the tcl version of spider in the menu.
That games lite pet, is it self-contained? I mean as in no dependencies to nab from the net? I'm trying to find some game my old man would like such as solitaire. Had to install puppy on his laptop because it only has 192mb of ram. (And to think WinXP as on that...should of never been...)

wimpy

#5 Post by wimpy »

My thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions. For me (and she who must be obeyed) the number of packs in a 2 suited spider.exe seems just about right. It's purely personal. I did say "So far........". I have tried others - not a lot - and I am prepared to try more, given time. Xpat2 didn't cut it and there was a spid2 which required tck and tcl (I think) which also didn't make the grade. I shall try all the other suggestions. Hopefully one of the other native puppy linux spiders will prove better. I'll report back after trying the suggested variants.

wimpy

#6 Post by wimpy »

Update.
Tried PysolFC. Installed Python 2.5 first (required) and then the pet package. Seemed to install OK but... Clicking on PySolFC in the Fun menu did nothing.
There was a Readme which suggested running from a terminal with <python pysol.py>. Did that - got this

sh-4.1# python pysol.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pysol.py", line 26, in <module>
init()
File "/initrd/mnt/dev_save/dlds/1k/PySolFC-2.0/pysollib/init.py", line 119, in init
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in <module>
ImportError: libtk8.5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So no go. Moving on....

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

Wimpy,

for PySolFC, besides installing python, did you also install these?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -8.5.6.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -8.5.6.pet

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

MasterNetra,

the games lite pet is self-contained...with the caveat that it's from the lupu repo, so might not work straight away with a non-lupu puppy.

Have you tried the tiny attached seahaven?
Attachments
seahaven.pet
(33.78 KiB) Downloaded 527 times

wimpy

#9 Post by wimpy »

@muggins PySolFC works fine with the added tcl and tk pets. Good enough for me to get rid of spider.exe and wine. Thanks for the info and links.
I did like your suggestion for MasterNetra of seahaven. - really nice Solitaire game.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

Glad you got it working. Remember to go walking in the park though, as it has over 1000 solitaire variatons!

wimpy

#11 Post by wimpy »

Just to update my remarks regarding wine. I found a more up-to-date pet for wine (wine 1.5.17) and this runs the MS spider.exe perfectly. I'm going to mark this thread as solved!.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal