[SOLVED] Unable to install Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
semsaudade

[SOLVED] Unable to install Puppy

#1 Post by semsaudade »

Hi to everybody. I am trying to install Puppy Linux on my Ases Eee900 netbook. I prepared a bootable usb key with last version of Puppy and booted my system from it.

Then I clicked to Install, choose an internal drive as destination and, after that, Puppy was asking me for a CD containg its own installation files. I tried to select the directory of the bootable usb, but even after founding it (in mount) and selecting it, Puppy is going on asking me for a CD.

So I prepared a bootable CD on an external usb CD/DVD drive and connected it to my Asus. It was impossible (I don't know why) to boot from the CD, so I resorted on booting again from usb key. I clicked on Install and then, when Puppy asked me for a CD, I hoped it would able to found needed files on the external CD drive. But this didn't happen, of course. I was asked to mount the CD, but Puppy mounter give me an error message every time I tried to mount something (even one of two internal disk of my netbook, neither of them was possible to mount).

So what can I try now? Thanks a lot for your kindness!
Giancarlo Perlo - Italy
Last edited by semsaudade on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What other operating system, if any, is on the netbook? Do you want to keep it?

What is the name of the Puppy version that you are trying to install?

semsaudade

Partially succeed

#3 Post by semsaudade »

I don't want to keep any other O.S. on my computer and I downloaded last version of Puppy Linux from site.

Today, after posting, I managed somewhere to get through installation, but then I found myself blocked in installing Grub.

I know that after install, I have to run Grub Installer, but it asks me where I want to install the Grub and I don't know what answer. I tried with \dev\sda1 (since this is the name of the disk where I installed Puppy), but it says to me that partition is only write or something like that....

Please help me! Thanks a lot
Giancarlo

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Since you already have a bootable flash drive, I would recommend the procedure here.

Make sure you read the instructions at the top about modifying your flash drive setup.

semsaudade

How can I do it?

#5 Post by semsaudade »

Sorry but it seems too much difficult for me. In the past I already installed Puppy Linux on other computers and it was pretty straightforward. I simply had to prepare a bootable flash drive with Unebootin, boot from it and then run the Puppy full installer. That was all!

Now I tried to follow the same procedure, but after running the installer Puppy is asking me to run the Grub installer from system menu. I did so, but then I am prompted to write where I wan't to install Grub.

Since my computer has two little SSD disks (sda1 4 GB and sdb2 16 GB) and since I installed Puppy on sda, I assumed that I should give \dev\sda1 as an answer. But that doesn't work! Puppy write a message about not being able to handle such a partition.

I also tried to run USB installer (instead of full hard drive installer), but I think that don't solve my problems. In fact it didn't install any Grub after all the procedure had ended...

Now my computer is unusable. Is there any simple solution? Should not be so difficult! I just want to make a fresh installation (no preserve of old O.S or files) on a computer. What can be the problem?

Thanks a lot once again!

rcrsn51

Re: How can I do it?

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

semsaudade wrote: I assumed that I should give \dev\sda1 as an answer. But that doesn't work!
Are you typing it using backslashes? It needs to be regular slashes

Code: Select all

/dev/sda1
Or you could try using Grub4Dos Bootloader Config instead of the old GRUB installer.

semsaudade

Some screen shot

#7 Post by semsaudade »

I took some screenshots of my Puppy Linux installation attempt, so, if you have the patience to see them, maybe you can find where is my problem.

1) First I tried double clicking on sda icon on my desktop and then I clicked on Mount:

2) This is the result:

3) Then I tried with Puppy Universal Installer as shown in image:

4) I went on choosing sda:

5) then Install Puppy on sda1:

6) I choose a Full Installation (instead of a Frugal one):

7) After a couple of messages like these...

8) Then I clicked OK to finish Universal Installer as suggested by next screen:

9) So I ran GrubConfig and choose a simple installation as shown:

10) I choose the safe choice (Standard Console) as suggested:

11) I wrote the name of the partition where I want to install GRUB (note that slashes are correct, aren't they?)

12) And this was the result!

13) So I tried again Grub4DosConfig and clicked on OK:

and OK twice again:

14) And here is what I got:

15) Finally I ran Pdisk to see if I could get some more information:

And that was all... is there anybody that can tell me where is the mistake and how can I fix it?

Thanks a lot!!!

rjbrewer

#8 Post by rjbrewer »

When installing grub, the files go to /dev/sda1.

Grub itself goes to mbr.

Grub4dos is different.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

The error message in Step 2 indicates that there is something wrong with sda1. Run Gparted on sda1. What does it say about the partition?

Also, Step 11 should be "/dev/sda1" not "/mnt/sda1".

semsaudade

Gparted

#10 Post by semsaudade »

Success! I run GPARTED and discovered that /dev/sda1 was EXT4. Then I formatted it to EXT2.

Then I run GrubConfig with/dev/sda1 and succeeded.

Thanks so much for your very kind help!