How to get drives on desktop in XFCE

Booting, installing, newbie
ddt15

How to get drives on desktop in XFCE

#1 Post by ddt15 »

Hello, just started out with puppy linux. Its fun tinkering around with it. I'm setting up a USB portable digital swiss army knife. I am using lucid 528.

Now I changed my xwin to XFCE because it looks much nicer.
My question is; in the JWM mode you see on the bottom left (above the menu button) your unmounted/mounted drives all next to each other which is very practical to access. How can I set this in XFCE desktop?

I'd also like to know how i can put a 'save' button on my desktop that saves to my personal file on the usb. Like the save button in JMU.

Thanks.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Hi Ddt- Welcome. Make life easy'n try this (below). Carolina may also suit'cher fancy..

Should you decide to stick with Lucid, ditch XFCE.

You don't want a Focus engine in your Ferrari!

ddt15

#3 Post by ddt15 »

Semme wrote:Should you decide to stick with Lucid, ditch XFCE.

You don't want a Focus engine in your Ferrari!
Why is this exactly? I thought it was just another window manager. (I'm a bit a linux noob :)

I'll probably stick to Lucid since I have it all set up now.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Let's just say it's not as integrated as the other two. Eye candy aside, aren't we usually eyeballing a browser window?

ddt15

#5 Post by ddt15 »

Semme wrote:Let's just say it's not as integrated as the other two. Eye candy aside, aren't we usually eyeballing a browser window?
True. Still, any way to change the icon of the menu (start in win) button in openbox?

More seriously; i cannot get magnet links to work in any browser.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Magnet support? See here. Which app have you been trying to associate?

ddt15

#7 Post by ddt15 »

I'm trying to get Google Chrome to open magnet links with qBittorrent. Chrome uses xdg-open, then i get an error: "File doesn't exist, or I can't access it: magnet:etc". So how do i get it to use qbittorent for magnet: links?

My xdg-open file in /usr/local/bin/ looks like this:

Code: Select all

case "$1" in 
        '') exit
                ;;
        *://*) exec rox -U "$1"
                ;;
        *@*.*) exec rox -U "mailto:${1}"
                ;;
        *) exec rox "$1"
                ;;
esac
I changed it to this:

case "$1" in 
        '') exit
                ;;
        magnet:*) exec qbittorrent "$1"
                ;;
        *://*) exec rox -U "$1"
                ;;
        *@*.*) exec rox -U "mailto:${1}"
                ;;
        *) exec rox "$1"
                ;;
esac
It actually works! First ever mini-hack on linux. :D

Hah I'm starting to get the hang of this. Best way to learn is by doing i guess.

Thanks for the help!

`f00

#8 Post by `f00 »

If you really desire the xfce 'desktop environment' (the whole de magilla is somewhat more than a mere wm :roll: ), a puplet that's expressly integrated with it (carolina &etc) would be the way to go more likely than not.

The convenience of desktop driveicons on a rox pinboard in jwm/icewm/openbox.. is hard to beat. You can use a roxpin on-demand in almost any wmº - some wms (and des) prefer to set their own desktop image(s) at startup and the 'default' rox pinboard as set by a standard /root/.xinitrc just gets in the way sometimes :| (afterstep, ede, enlightenment and xfce to name a few)

º actually this is my preferred method - comment out all the PuppyPin lines in .xinitrc (so it doesn't automatically load) and have a handy on-demand as a menu item or gexec or cmd. A custom roxpin like /root/Choices/roxpin-xfce (copy of PuppyPin with appropriate matching backdrop to whatever you use in xfce) can be loaded via

rox -p /root/Choices/roxpin-xfce
after xfce starts with its normal de hoohah .. kill the roxpin to return to usual xfce desk. You might need to reload the bg if using fancy shade/tint/tr options in terms (side effect of killing a roxpin)..

"any way to change the icon of the menu (start in win) button in openbox?"
(ick, probably using that funky pfbpanel deal still) - see what it's using in /root/.config/fbpanel/default file and edit to your image of choice (or overwrite the image file ref'd there)

"Best way to learn is by doing" (your guess is a good bet ;) ) &backup!

btw, welcome to the pldf :D

mikeslr

Desktop Icons can be beaten

#9 Post by mikeslr »

I also was disappointed that Xfce couldn't provide the convenience of desktop drive icons, at least without messing up the aesthetics of my wallpaper. Then I discovered LxPup which uses pcman as its default file-manager. (Rox is also included). LxPup comes in several flavors can be found here:
http://lxpup.weebly.com/downloads.html. My discussion of its version (based on Precise, non-PAE) begins here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 595#663595, but see the following posts (only 2 pages) which enabled me to add the Pcman file manager to my taskbar. Clicking the pcman icon on my taskbar opens pcman to my root directory, but being a two-pane file-browser, displays all my drives/partitions in the left-pane. See attached. Clicking a drive/partition mounts & opens it. If there's a folder I frequently use on my home-partition, I can --after clicking the home partition-- drag it from the right pane to the bottom of the left-pane. Thereafter, that folder will alway be available with two click: one to start pcman, one to open that folder. Pcman also has a book-marking function.
Lxpup precise, like precise-pup and Lupu before it is based on Ubuntu binaries. All the pets and Sfses I used in Lupu worked in Lxpup: but I had the option of using the newer version built for Lxpup or Precise-pup.
Lupu was my primary OS. But from the time I downloaded Lxpup, it took me less than an hour to customize/configure it to mimic my Lupu setup, but with a newer, faster kernel, some newer applications, more modern File-manager, and IMHO a more aesthetically pleasing desktop.

mikeslr
Attachments
PCMan.jpg
PCMan Dual-Pane File-Manager
(97.21 KiB) Downloaded 554 times

disciple

Education - dual pane filers

#10 Post by disciple »

Mike - do you know yet what a real dual pane file manager is?
It is kind of like having two filers joined together. Pcmanfm is definitely not one
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER