Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
vicmz

#361 Post by vicmz »

A right-click menu option to quickly set a picture as wallpaper would be nice, especially if it is built as a simple .pet addon. BTW, standard Puppy doesn't accept PNG format for background pictures but LXPUP does. Thank you for this puplet, Jejy. I'm enjoying it :D
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Jejy69

Late response, Nurse training...

#362 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !
How are you ?

First, news :
-First patch released ! Available on the Apps page of the website.
You need this to install future Wm desktops.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... t/download
- OpenShot 1.4.3 working, Phil's package doesn't work since I have updated libs on lxpup.
-All De, are rebuild, and now available in SFS format.
kde 4.9.2 -> 162mo now
Xfce 4.10 replace 4.8 version.
Trinity 3.5.13 -> 71mo
Cinnamon 1.6 -> 27mo
Mate 1.4.1 -> 46mo

Conflict risks reduced thanks to SFS format.

Pcmanfm 1.1.0 can be downloaded ! Go to Lxde website to see what is new.
I added Vim and Conky.

Star Wars succumbs to Disney. :o

Ok, I keep Precise version.

Vicmz issue : if you install Pupsaveconfig, install below package too
( pupsaveconfig-patch.pet ) attached to this post.

Pchan, I will see that, even though I know nothing with this kind of problems.

In the patch, rox is replaced by pcmanfm., by editing rox file.
exec 'Rox' to launch rox now.

I will work on conpiz, thanks Mandibule for his tip.

To change background !
It's simple, just right click on the desktop -> 'Desktop preference' and change wallpaper... Or go to the Control center, 'Set wallpaper'

To translate Control center, simply edit label in /usr/bin/lxcc file.

Thanks all !
Attachments
pupsaveconfig-patch.pet
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 649 times

smil99

#363 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69
Thanks for openshot-1.4.3. Working flawlessly here. :D The SFS couldn't load though .... hangs computer forever until I shut down manually. Had to convert it to a pet for install.

Just a note:
You might want to look at the cinnamon sub-menu problems
(reported here) once again to see if something can be done about it. :)

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

peebee

Date change

#364 Post by peebee »

Hi Jejy69

Just a small point - but I am unable to find the date/time change utility anywhere in the LxPup menus.....

Hope I'm just being stupid - but I have looked pretty closely...

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

vicmz

#365 Post by vicmz »

Thank you Jejy, the patch works! I'm also updating langpack_es to translate Lxpup.
I've downloaded the XFCE addon and it has too many submenus, how can I set the menu to not display subcategories?
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

CatDude

#366 Post by CatDude »

Hello vicmz
vicmz wrote:....BTW, standard Puppy doesn't accept PNG format for background pictures ...
Since when :?:

I'm sure i've used .png's as wallpapers in even older versions of Puppy than that below.

CatDude.
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

vicmz

#367 Post by vicmz »

CatDude wrote:Hello vicmz
vicmz wrote:....BTW, standard Puppy doesn't accept PNG format for background pictures ...
Since when :?:

I'm sure i've used .png's as wallpapers in even older versions of Puppy than that below.

CatDude.

Really? Since Puppy 5 and later, after setting a PNG wallpaper the background turns white, and an error message appears, I don't recall what the message says. Sorry, I should've said it happens to me, I never asked because I thought that's how Puppy works. It isn't that important actually, I just have to use mtpaint to convert the wallpaper to JPG. :D

01micko

#368 Post by 01micko »

Just for the record, standard pups support png and gif images as backgrounds. I think tif too.

Sorry Jejy69 for the brief hijack.

-

Oh, back on topic.. go for it with Precise :)

Ubuntu is popular, whatever draws the fans :wink: .. puppy needs it, no offence taken here. However, you do what you want.. it's the fun that keeps it interesting.
Attachments
capture17140.png
a terrible knock off of the slacko 530-531 wallpaer.. in png format.
google images <-- "png wallpaper"
(77.06 KiB) Downloaded 1283 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jejy69

#369 Post by Jejy69 »

Hellooooow !

smil99, I'm working on this Cinnamon bug, I'll try to remove submenus...

peebee, you, stupid ? No, no, no... You found a bug, Lxpanel doesn't load a puppy submenu... Meanwhile, in /usr/share/applications, you have some apps at the end to change time.

vicmz, thanks you, I search too, to remove submenus, but for now I don't now... :( Maybe in /etc/profile...

Hi 01micko, thanks for your advice, it's just I like Slacko too...
And your Wallpaper too ! Star Wars !!!!!!

Lxpup no-Pae available, based on RetroPrecise ! 195mo...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... o/download

Don't need the patch.

Cheers !

vicmz

#370 Post by vicmz »

Jejy, I've updated langpack_es to translate Lxpup. Look!

Jejy69

#371 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi,

Thanks you Vicmz, great job !
I have also responded in the French part.

mikeslr

Thanks for retro_lxpu (non-PAE precise)

#372 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Jejy69,

Thanks for retro-lxpup (non-PAE precise). Works flawlessly with my favorite applications. Another great job.
After trying out alternate windows managers, I've decided that I really like the simplicity of LXDE, especially after realizing that I could add a second panel making it easy to call my most frequently used applications. I've attached a screenshot. The left-center panel is usually set to be hidden unless moused-over. If you've looked at any of my other screenshots recently, you may notice that they look pretty much alike regardless of whether my window manager was XFCE, or JWM or Openbox with fbpanel. Call me a creature of habit. I'll take that as a compliment: having to think about procedure just slows down actually getting work done.
PCMan has proven to be an easy adjustment from the idiosyncrasies of Rox, so not too great a learning curve. One thing I notice worth passing on: In doing a manual frugal install, I set the Grub4Dos menu.lst's pfix= argument to "ram" so as not to inadvertently use an existing SaveFile. But I want to edit that argument out before rebooting. To do so, one needs to pmount the drive/partition on which menu.lst is located, and then use PCMan to access that drive/partition and file. Rox will open the drive/partition as "read-only" if you haven't yet created a SaveFile.
Guess I'll have to figure out how to add or create more icon & color scheme themes; or wait for someone talented to do so. For anyone interested, there's an Eye-Candy thread in the additional software sub-forum.

Just two trifles: Any idea how someone could add a "Showdesktop" launcher to an lxpanel? This is the more important of the two.
The other is that although LxPup can be configured so that right-clicking the desktop produces a pop-up menu, the menu listings seems to be some default: listing applications not installed, and not listing installed applications. I rarely resort to using such pop-up menu. But it may be important to someone with different habits.

mikesLr
Attachments
LxPup.jpg
Current Desktop
(139.64 KiB) Downloaded 1147 times

Ray MK

#373 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Jejy69,

mikeslr said:
Thanks for retro-lxpup (non-PAE precise). Works flawlessly with my favorite applications. Another great job.

I would add:
Absolutely superb - the whole package - LXpup and website.

Am using retro-lxpup now and it seems to run even better than expected on my ram challenged 10yr old Acer laptop.

Many thanks for a stunning Puppy - much appreciated.

Very best regards - Ray.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

666philb

#374 Post by 666philb »

hi Jejy69

any chance of a combined lxde and compiz .pet for the precise PPM :D
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

nufan

#375 Post by nufan »

Thanks for the retro precise version, can't wait to give it a whirl.

Jejy69

#376 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

mikeslr, you can add a plugin to Lxpanel called "Minimize all windows", it does the same thing as "show desktop".
For the menu, I haven't the time to modify Openbox menu actually. It is in /etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml
For your second bar, did you know you can change panel's background to transparent ? It can be aesthetic :)

RayMk, thanks for your feedback, I'm glad it works on an old PC.

666Philb, I try to work on it, I have an issue, only Emerald doesn't work...
This is unfortunate, since all other compiz effects work. :?

nufan, I hope you'll enjoy it !

vicmz

Re: Thanks for retro_lxpu (non-PAE precise)

#377 Post by vicmz »

mikeslr wrote:Any idea how someone could add a "Showdesktop" launcher to an lxpanel?
Right-click the panel, click Panel Configuration or Panel Settings, in the Panel Applets tab click Add and look for the Minimize All Windows plugin, if you don't find it install the attached .pet (please confirm that it works), add it and move it to the place you want it to appear in. You should have an icon as in the attached picture (the one on the right of the Wine icon), right-click it and check the box "Alternate between minimize/rise/iconify" so that you can raise windows again by clicking that icon instead of clicking each window on the taskbar.
Attachments
lxpanel_plugins-0.5.8-002.pet
Plugins for Lxpanel including Minimize button and CPU monitor.
Install only if you don't have all Lxpanel plugins.
(107.56 KiB) Downloaded 843 times
image-6.png
(6.86 KiB) Downloaded 1896 times

metaldog

#378 Post by metaldog »

Hello all,

firstly well done Jejy69 on a N-I-C-E puppy and superb website.
excellent repos and search manager.
i have a problem with pcmanfm/thunar; i cant get any videothumbnailers working. if i can get that working on LXPUP - or any other puppy come to that - i'll be in dog heaven.
edit: ive tried XFCE/thunarthumbs with ffmpegthumbs, which works on command line but isnt reflected in thunar. tried the PPM repos and not much joy.

cheers

mikeslr

LxPup Customization

#379 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Jejy69 & vicmz,

Thanks jely69 for the customization tip. It was there. I just didn't see it when I first explored panel settings. You're right, transparent is more aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks vicmz for the pet. Works great and was needed.

Edit: Thanks again vicmz. Exploring your pet, I discovered that among the plug-ins it added was a lauch-bar. Adding it to the taskbar enabled me to move some of the launchers from the side-panel to the taskbar. So now, except for custom selection of icons, LxPup is almost exactly how I like my desktop to look and function.

mikeslr

mandibule2005

link

#380 Post by mandibule2005 »

hello

Can you send me the link for your french forum
Thanks