Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Sep 2014, 02:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Precise Puppy 5.4 and 5.4.2
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 29 [422 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
Sulphurcocky

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2012, 16:26    Post subject: 3G Modem
Subject description: Huawei Modem & any Puppy

Trying more puppies recently I still cannot get my Huawei E160x 3G Modem
With Amaysim/Optus (Sydney,Australia) to work natively with puppy

All I need is the APN the phone number #99whatever and CHAP. that is fine

I have to revert to Mobile Partner version 11 or something.

In Precise it recognizes the modem and tells me so but even with the modem switch I cannot get, GSM connect to work for me. no ttyUSB,

Once Mobile Partner is installed, the USB_Mode_Switch Flipflopping the CD/Modem actually causes the modem to repeatedly be plugged in and then unplugged by the software a few times before Mobile Partner settles down and recognizes the modem, once connected Blinky works and I can view the info on statistics and see the Modem hardware next to etho and Lo.

I don't have any better luck with earlier puppies, Gnome network manager works fine in large distros, but I notices that Mobile Partner manages the toggle between mobile bands UMTS & HSDPA better that the Network manager

In the help file Barry mentioned that he used an E160 and wanted some more info so I add it here that it could help.

Now I'll get the new ISO.
seaside

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2012, 17:03    Post subject: devx
Subject description: compiling gtk programs

Everything working nicely.

Not sure if this is a bug, but the usual compile line for Gtk programs didn't work.
Code:
 gcc `pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --cflags` menu.c -o menu -lgtk-x11-2.0

Should the invocation be different?

EDIT: To answer my own question - Yes.

Code:
gcc -o menu menu.c `pkg-config --libs --cflags gtk+-2.0`

Works

Cheers,
s
Peter.M

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2012, 23:00    Post subject:  

RE:
Quote:

"I often don't respond to a bug report simply because I haven't got a clue how to fix it. If someone reports a "black screen", there is not much to go on.

Often the only apparent solution is to use some other puplet or even other distro that does work with that hardware."

Sorry Barry, I thought I was explicit enough re the problem of the black screen, and I am persevering with Puppy because I believe your majestic efforts have resulted in a superb compact distro.

As I said this problem affects most current distros and relates to the Nvidia "Optimus" technology for power savings on the GPU in dual display situations, usually with an integrated intel video and nvidia combination. I imagine this technology will rear it's head more and more and present ongoing problems for linux. The bumblebee project http://bumblebee-project.org/ is set up especially to solve this problem, and I have heard that a fix for the optimus problem is in place in the latest kernel version.

On Ubuntu Precise it is possible to boot into vesa mode by adding nomodeset on the command line on boot, even if the resolution is not ideal at least you can get a desktop displayed. I tried pressing F3 on Puppy live distro 5.4 beta boot and entering "puppy nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram" which should have had the same result, but to no avail the kernel did not appear to accept the command or at least did not put X into vesa mode.

If I can get nomodeset to work, then I can play around with a fix for the native video driver I assume that is nouveau being based on precise

Can anyone help with getting Puppy to boot to Vesa - I also tried vga=ask that changed the mode OK, text for boot came up in suitably small display but still went into graphics mode with the native driver active and black screen with blink.

So any suggestions anyone?

Last edited by Peter.M on Sat 10 Nov 2012, 00:04; edited 1 time in total
cthisbear

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2012, 23:28    Post subject:  

Hello Peter.M...and...Sulphurcocky.

Nice to see a few more Aussies on the forum.

Sulphurcocky....wireless etc.
tempestuous is a good person to ask.

rcrsn51...rerwin...and plenty of others provide solid advice.

Tethering...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77767

Chris.
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 00:30    Post subject: Another Frisbee-3.0 update, 20121108.  

I have uploaded an improved-but-not-yet-perfect version of the integrated Frisbee network manager, to make the pop-up messages more readable without slowing the initialization of networks. I also added the switching between versions of the network tray.

Peebee pointed out to me that the messages each delay network initialization by at least 6 seconds. And, because they all appeared at the same position on the screen, some could be obscured by others. I corrected that by placing the "announcement" messages at the bottom-left of the screen and the status messages at the bottom center. Messages will be delayed in those spots if another is being displayed. So, the messages may appear in sequence even though the processing is not delayed by them.

Previously, the network tray was selected only at boot time and only if Frisbee was the selected default "network setup tool". Now, when Frisbee is invoked through the "connect wizard", it will change to the Frisbee-network tray upon exit via the "exit" button. Canceling Frisbee by way of the "X" button does not trigger the swap. To switch back, the "woof-updates" package switches back to the normal network-tray icon if anything other than Frisbee is chosen.

However, there remains a malfunction that occurs the first time Frisbee is selected in a session. Upon exit, Frisbee appears to abort without running to the end of the script, so the swap does not occur. Subsequent selections of Frisbee seem to perform the swap. This behavior appears to cause no harm and corrects itself on an immediate second selection of Frisbee. I continue to investigate that.

The Frisbee and woof-update 20121108 packages are on page 15 here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=662521#662521 for Frisbee
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=662518#662518 for woof_updates

For testing, be sure to have the remaining packages at the woof_updates link also installed (except for the old woof_update-20121101).
Richard

UPDATE 11/10/2012: Due to faulty testing, the greyed-out wireless tab was erroneously announced as fixed. It is not fixed. The problem was that the indications of acquired interfaces were not being set. Please replace it with the now-corrected package at the above Frisbee link. Sorry for wasting your time.

UPDATE 11/11/2012: Uploaded new versions of the packages at the above links, to improve the usability. Please try them. Thanks.

UPDATE 11/12/2012: Uploaded new versions of the woof-updates and frisbee packages at the above links, to continue improvements to the usability. Modified Frisbee to allow it to run in slacko, as well.
R

Last edited by rerwin on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 01:35; edited 4 times in total
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 01:23    Post subject: Mouse Frozen FIXED in 5.4.1  

Nice to boot first time with a working mouse.
otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 01:49    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
otropogo wrote:
Ignoring bug reports because you dislike the poster simply undermines confidence in your work, as well as discouraging essential feedback.

Oh please!!!!

What nonsense.

This is one example of many that have contributed to my desire to withdraw from the "frontline" development.

You're behaving like a three year old, Barry. I spent a lot of time and effort to describe a very serious problem with Puppy 5.4, and you simply ignored my efforts and can't offer a coherent explanation. Where's the "nonsense"?

Do you really believe your selective responses are not noticed by forum readers, or that they don't discourage potential posters? Can you really think that such behaviour doesn't undermine confidence in potential Puppy adopters?

Stomping your feet and threatening to take your ball home in response to criticism is just making things worse.

mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 03:03    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:
Do you really believe your selective responses are not noticed by forum readers, or that they don't discourage potential posters? Can you really think that such behaviour doesn't undermine confidence in potential Puppy adopters?

otropogo,
please get discouraged and lose your confidence!

While doing that you may want to read this in case it helps

James C

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 03:17    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:
BarryK wrote:
otropogo wrote:
Ignoring bug reports because you dislike the poster simply undermines confidence in your work, as well as discouraging essential feedback.

Oh please!!!!

What nonsense.

This is one example of many that have contributed to my desire to withdraw from the "frontline" development.

You're behaving like a three year old, Barry. I spent a lot of time and effort to describe a very serious problem with Puppy 5.4, and you simply ignored my efforts and can't offer a coherent explanation. Where's the "nonsense"?

Stomping your feet and threatening to take your ball home in response to criticism is just making things worse.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ATI+X1550+linux+driver
pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 03:19    Post subject:  

Good music also helps to relax when you dont like that someone say no.
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/3980096/we-didnt-start-the-flame-war
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 03:35    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
otropogo,

Lost cause. BTW if anyone has a real issue that o...o has already posted, you may want to go ahead and re-post it, since he has pissed off just about everyone who actually has the ability to fix issues to the point where we don't even read his posts. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Peter.M

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 04:27    Post subject:  

For those who may be assisted by this RE video problem with nvidia dual display with optimus on puppy precise 5.4.1. I have just been able to boot into vesa mode from live cd using F3/F3 with parameter puppy acpi=off ..... It turns out nomodeset was not necessary. However once on the desktop, the video wizard probe tells me 1920*1080 is available but hangs on the test. Bumblebee may hold the answer to using full resolution graphics.
Cheers.
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 05:07    Post subject:  

Barry, not a big matter, but the download link http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.4.0.90/ in the
'Precise Puppy 5.4.1beta1' release message dated 6 Nov 2012, on top of your blog, reports '404 - not found'.

tallboy

Edit:

This post is placed in the incorrect thread, a copy is posted in the Precise Puppy 5.4.1 thread. BTW, how do you delete a post?

tallboy

colorpurple21859

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 10:58    Post subject: distoted display
Subject description: distorted display on amd a8 with ati hd6700m duel graphics

I was able to get working correctly by booting on another machine, commenting out the /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf /modeset=1 line. Did a save then booted on to amd machine with nomodeset option install the amd-fglrx-pet. rebooted without the nomodeset option and now everything works.
otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 23:49    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:

otropogo,

If you'd been around here a few years back, you'd know that I'm not talking about myself. You might also remember when Puppy prided itself on being easy for newbies to use...

And why would anyone search the WEB to figure out how something that previously worked in Puppy is broken in the latest version, when the programmer who did the major work on both is supposedly waiting eagerly for such problem reports?

Believe it or not, I don't get any joy out of spending hours rebooting my system, making notes about all of the unintelligible error messages and nonsensical results, and then typing them up.

MY time is no less valuable to me than yours or Barry's. So yeah, when my effort gets kicked to the curb without explanation or apology, followed by vague insults, I'm put out. Any sensible person would be.

But note that I initially voiced my disappointment politely, whereas the response was vitriolic.

What happened after that is unfortunate but understandable. I have no wish to antagonize anyone, but I'm not about to respond to a totally unwarranted verbal lashing by kissing butt.

Page 22 of 29 [422 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: