Can't remove IceWM menu item (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
barefoot

Can't remove IceWM menu item (Solved)

#1 Post by barefoot »

Hi all,

I'm running Lucid puppy 5.28 (Lupu LIbre) with IceWM window manager. I have been using the Remove Builtin Packages utility to slim down puppy. Usually, when I remove a program that has a menu entry, the menu entry vanishes.

I removed Guvcview Webcam Viewer and the menu entry stayed. I know the package is gone because when I click the menu entry, I get a "No such file or directory" message.

I removed the Guvcview entry from /root/.icewm/menu and then removed another package with the Remove Builtin Packages utility (which seems to refresh the IceWM menu) and the Guvcview entry was restored in /root/.icewm/menu and its menu item remains!

Any ideas about how to correct this?

Thanks
Last edited by barefoot on Sat 10 Nov 2012, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

Remove item from menu

#2 Post by watchdog »

Open with geany /root/.jwmrc and delete the row with the item you don't want to appear in the menu...

barefoot

#3 Post by barefoot »

Thanks for the reply, watchdog.

I removed the line containing Guvcview from ~/.icewm/menu, ~/.icewm/menu-previous, ~/.jwmrc, and ~/.jwmrc-previous.

Then, I restarted X Server. The line with Guvcview did not return to any of those files but the menu item remains.

Stumped again...

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

You removed a built-in package. Perhaps you need now to remove the entry in /root/.packages/woof-installed-packages if exist in lucid. I am now with wary. Disclaimer: make backup and try.

CatDude

#5 Post by CatDude »

Hello barefoot

Look to see if this file exists: /usr/share/applications/guvcview.desktop
if it does,
then simply delete it.

After doing that,
you may also need to run fixmenus, before the menu entry disappears. :wink:

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

barefoot

#6 Post by barefoot »

Success!

There was no entry for guvcview in /root/.packages/woof-installed-packages.
So, I deleted /usr/share/applications/guvcview.desktop, ran fixmenus, and the menu item vanished!

Thank you watchdog and CatDude for your efforts.

EDIT: Now some speculation... There was a Gnumeric.desktop file in /usr/share/applications, but it and the menu item vanished when Gnumeric was uninstalled. It seems to me that the Remove Builtin Packages utility failed to remove Guvcview.desktop which is what caused the problem. Perhaps the command to remove Guvcview.desktop was missing/broken in the uninstall script?