Older Puppies and glib 2.8 ...

Using applications, configuring, problems
paulh177

Older Puppies and glib 2.8 ...

#1 Post by paulh177 »

Opera 12.10 has just been released and I can't use it on my Puppy 4.31 netbook as it requires glib 2.8.

on the other hand, I haven't been able to get any of the 5.x Puppies to run satisfactorily on my netbook (an older Acer AOA).

Am I correct in thinking that it would be extremely difficult (if not nearly impossible) to replace glib with 2.8 on my 4.31 Puppy?

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Yea, I tried to update glib once...
Shame as it killed my puppy...
Glib is deeply integrated..
Have you tried 214x?
You could, I suppose, try to woof up a 4 series pup with glib2.8..
IDK...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Dewbie

#3 Post by Dewbie »

Install this, then glib 2.8.
(Test it first with a separate save file.)

paulh177

#4 Post by paulh177 »

Dewbie, many thanks (also thank you to the forum member who PM'd me, and to puppyluvr)

I installed the libc6 patch then got a glib 2.8.6 source package from gtk.org. That compiled with only warnings, and installed without error.

I am getting locale warnings when i run some stuff, but i can probably live with that.

I'm typing this from Opera 12.10 on a testbed frugal ... so, so far so good ... I'll run with this for a few days and report back with any problems I encounter

excellent support from the Puppy crew!

paulh177

#5 Post by paulh177 »

it was pointed out to me by PM that the glibc I compiled was rather earlier than the version for which the libc6 was made, and that in any case I probably only needed the libc6 patch anyway.

so i've tested with a freshly copied save file from my non-glib2.8 system, installing only the libc6 patch ... opera 12.10 runs fine with just that installed.

for completeness, i did get glibc 2.11.3 sources and tried to compile, but configure objected that cpuid.h was required but couldn't be found. It is on the system, but as i've got what i wanted (a working opera 12.10) I'm not pursuing that line.