Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 17:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to give ANY Pup a 10 foot user interface. (Magoo-MK7)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
ETP

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov 2012, 04:45    Post subject:  How to give ANY Pup a 10 foot user interface. (Magoo-MK7)
Subject description: For the elderly new to computing & anyone with poor vision.

This pet (Magoo) enables a very simple interface targeted at small net books running with a resolution of 1024x600 where it will almost fill the screen. It is also suitable for larger monitors and indeed does not look out of place on a 1920x1080 panel. (See screen-shots) It is lightweight and similar to "Eldy" but does not require Java or registration. In essence it is just a program launcher.

It is based on an original idea (Noob) by forum member Lobster whose code provided the starting point. His 2009 post can be found here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=363514#363514

I would also like to thank forum member Greengeek who assisted with testing and made a number of useful suggestions.

Features:

1. W.W.W., N E W S: and F-C A S T make use of the default browser to provide the Google home page, Google news and Yahoo weather forecast relevant to your location. (Tested with Chromium, Firefox & SeaMonkey)

2. E-M A I L - Launches your default email client.

3. SKYPE - Launches Skype4 when installed as a pet or sfs. (Provision is also included to launch a static build)

4. D A T E - Launches OSMO calendar which is installed in most recent Pups.

5. C A L C - Launches Galculator (A calculator) pre-configured with a suitable window size. This is also in most Pups.

6. P I C S - Launches Viewnior - a custom test image (1024x600) is included and installed by the pet.

7. The PEN & PAPER icon launches Abiword.

8. The two large BLUE BUTTONS shutdown the PC. (It is present on both screens should a new user close one of the two menus)

Installation:

Install the .pet then restart X. (With some Pups a second restart of X may be needed to trigger auto start) - (Uninstall via PPM)

Recommendations:

1. If you are using an LCD do install the Fontwizard pet - it can make a significant difference. It can be found here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=657568#657568

It is included in the latest Slacko and is also available in the Lucid repository.

2. If you do have poor eyesight (or do not wish to end up with it) the tweaks in this "HOW TO" may help:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81413

3. If you use a small net book you may wish to set your JWM taskbar to auto hide in order to maximise your real estate.
(Desktop/JWM configuration manager/tray management/tray auto hide option/---turn on)

Final thoughts:

1. Advanced users with poor vision may wish to forgo the two large blue shutdown buttons and substitute programs of their choice. Icons and scripts for Umplayer and RSS Tickr are already built in so changing icons for them just requires simple edits to the menu files (noob_front_end / noob_back_end). The Tickr-0.6.0 pet can be found here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77585&sid=b845085505e9ed6813996a8d00add099

2. Greengeek and I are considering issuing an ISO for those who favour a ready made solution OOTB. "Magoo Pup - The Puppy with a 10-foot user interface" would be based on a future official release of Puppy and would include Skype/Fontwizard/Magoo plus some conservative themes, wallpaper and font tweaks. It would be suitable for use by the elderly.

3. Information on Skype4 ( pet/sfs/static) can be found in this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=642706#642706

4. This is my first stab at making a .pet and I have probably broken every rule in the book. Please go easy on me. It is primitive but functional.
Magoo-MK7.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  Magoo-MK7.pet 
Filesize  1.38 MB 
Downloaded  433 Time(s) 
pic1.png
 Description   Magoo Front-End Menu
 Filesize   134.28 KB
 Viewed   2033 Time(s)

pic1.png

pic2.png
 Description   Magoo Back-End Menu
 Filesize   158.13 KB
 Viewed   2082 Time(s)

pic2.png

pic3.png
 Description   Magoo on net book 1024x600
 Filesize   118.4 KB
 Viewed   2048 Time(s)

pic3.png

pic4.png
 Description   Magoo on 1920x1080 panel running Tickr with Sans Bold 28 point font.
 Filesize   279.96 KB
 Viewed   2060 Time(s)

pic4.png

ETP

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov 2012, 04:46    Post subject: How to give ANY Pup a 10 foot user interface. (Magoo-MK7)  

Place Holder
Monsie

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 03:43    Post subject: How to give ANY Pup a 10 foot user interface. (Magoo-MK7)  

Hi ETP,

I am interested in "Magoo Pup" because you have done some testing with it on a Netbook. If you were to include this with a "future official release of Puppy" can you think of any further changes, modifications, tweaks that might be necessary so that it would be optimized for a Netbook?

Disclosure: I bought my wife a Netbook 3.5 years ago and it runs Windows XP. When XP support ends in 18 months or so, I would like to try converting the Netbook (and my wife) Smile to run a distro that has been designed to run on a Netbook... @ 1024 X 600 screen resolution. I like the desktop interface --not that my wife is elderly at this point Laughing but because I think it better suits the smaller screen for navigation and covers most of the basics in terms of her computer usage.

Her netbook has the usual hardware: ethernet, wireless, built-in webcam, and bluetooth I think... Hmmm, I don't even know at the moment to what extent Puppy supports bluetooth... Interestingly, the webcam includes face recognition software that can be set up for login purposes... Cool not a necessity obviously, and I have no idea whether any such technology is being actively developed for linux based operating systems.

So... what are your thoughts on setting up a Puppy Netbook?

Thanks,
Monsie

ETP

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 06:34    Post subject: How to give ANY Pup a 10 foot user interface. (Magoo-MK7)  

Hi Monsie,

Thanks for your interest. Your biggest issue may be “converting” your wife. We all tend to cling on to the familiar. She therefore must be the final arbiter. There is however, plenty of time left to find an existing Pup (or one yet to emerge) that suits the hardware on your wife’s particular Net-book.

Currently Carolina may fit the bill: http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/about.html
There is also Precise 5.4.1 and Slacko 5.4 when finished.

Your best bet is to boot the Net-book from USB stick installs of these and have your wife decide!

greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov 2012, 13:20    Post subject:  

The fact that this does not require Java is a major plus in my opinion. I consider that Java is a significant risk to data security and it is great that Magoo does not use it. I think Magoo is becoming a very useful tool for helping certain groups to have a comfortable and competent computing experience. I'm getting quite a buzz out of watching my elderly father get hands-on with a computer for the first time ever.

I await future developments with great interest and believe an iso version would be a great way to tailor the full Magoo experience into an easy and reliable package that needed minimal reconfiguration or additional pets.
ETP

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2012, 17:38    Post subject: How to give ANY Pup a 10 foot user interface. (Magoo-MK7)  

Pup now available:

"Magoo Pup v5- The Puppy with a 10-foot user interface" has now been unleashed. See:

www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82607

Last edited by ETP on Mon 10 Dec 2012, 14:29; edited 1 time in total
ETP

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012, 13:52    Post subject: Netbook Edition Magoo-MK129  

Further testing has shown that whilst the MK7 pet is fine on 13 inch screens and above, netbook users may prefer something a little less imposing.

Attached below therefore is the MK129 pet specifically for netbooks. It is smaller and simpler in that there is only one menu. A menu item off desktop has been added to re-launch the Magoo interface if it is closed.
A v6 ISO that includes this new pet will also be offered. [Magoo (Netbook) Pup v6 ISO] http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=671472#671472

Edit 28th March 2013 (Previous upload was corrupt)
The Magoo-MK129 pet is now available on my server:

www.mydrive.ch

Guest login name = maddog@puppy4
Password= maddog
custom128.PNG
 Description   Magoo-MK129.pet on netbook.
 Filesize   331.08 KB
 Viewed   1331 Time(s)

custom128.PNG

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: