60 sec Puppy upgrade; 60 sec install OpenOffice 2.0.3

Using applications, configuring, problems
cagliostro

60 sec Puppy upgrade; 60 sec install OpenOffice 2.0.3

#1 Post by cagliostro »

I downloaded and burned the Puppy 2.1alpha iso, and ran it from live CD to see what was different. Most everything is similar, fortunately. However, on boot up Puppy detected my pup_save.3fs file on /hda5 and upgraded everything without even asking me! Next time I tried to boot Puppy from HD everything bombed. So I had to upgrade to Puppy 2.1 whether I wanted to or not. This takes a minute.

I copy two files from the CD to /hda5/boot: initrd.gz + vmlinuz.
Then copy pup_210.sfs to /hda5.

Upgrade complete. My pup_save.3fs remains on /hda5, and has already been upgraded when I ran the live CD. All my settings are the same, my bookmarks in SeaMonkey, etc. I have other folders or directories on /hda5. Puppy automatically mounts /hda5 on boot, and references these not as /hda5/zdir (for example) but as /initrd/mnt/dev_save/zdir.

Note that my grub file is:

title Puppy 2 (on /dev/hda5)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.gz
boot

Having upgraded Puppy, I thought it time to install OpenOffice 2.0.3 on my new machine. I have a copy of PCLinuxOS 0.93a (big daddy) installed on the hard disk, but I am having trouble getting the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics to work--I keep trashing everything trying to install fglrx , since I really don't know what I'm doing. PCLinuxOS is well behaved, so it has OpenOffice 2.0.3 in /opt, which is where it is supposed to be.

So I copy the entire OpenOffice2 folder from /opt in PCLinuxOS to /hda5. This is 309 MB, and takes a minute to transfer.

Basically, OpenOffice is now installed. Just drag the icons for Swriter or Soffice from /OpenOffice2/program to the Puppy desktop. Click on the Swriter desktop icon and OpenOffice Writer will start up, ask if you want to register, and create the necessary files in Puppy.

A Puppy video showed one can change the ugly icon by right clicking "Swriter" and choosing >Set Icon. Go to /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps. I couldn't find an icon for OpenOffice, and I'm not sure where one acquires it. The video showed a nice icon, but I couldn't see it.

Upgrading and installing software is sure exhausting. After all this hard work, sit back and enjoy a richly deserved beverage of choice.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

try this for the radeon:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8661

OpenOffice 2.03 is available as dotpup:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9102
Mark

raffy

2 minutes

#3 Post by raffy »

Perhaps your main point here is how fast one can upgrade on'e OS and Office suite: TWO MINUTES!!! Now, anyone can beat that?

As to icons, in native Puppy OpenOffice package, the OOffice icons are there in the location you mentioned. But as you imported OOffice from another source, perhaps you can just download and use your preferred icon.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].