'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
elroy

'lina-lite - version 005

#1 Post by elroy »

'lina-lite is a stripped down distribution that is based on the Saluki/Carolina family. It includes very little by itself; it is meant as a base to build your own customized setup without having default applications to deal with. It leaves you in control of adding the applications that you want. You can do this in two ways - by using the package manager to install your pets/sfs, or by using the custom-builder to create your own customized iso and/or adrive. 'lina-lite uses the non PAE 3.2.13-c kernel.

'lina-lite is not for the faint of heart. It's target audience is experienced users that desire their own customized distro using the xfce window manager.

Packages can be downloaded from the package manager (ppm) or from the repository. 'lina-lite itself can be downloaded from here.
The devx file can be download from here.
The kernel headers and source files can be downloaded fromhere.
Last edited by elroy on Sun 29 Sep 2013, 07:10, edited 13 times in total.

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

Wonderful news, terrific effort at 105M, el, thanks a bundle.
However, no-one in their right mind would cast YT as a 'power user'. Fiddler and clicker is all I aspire to along with a propensity to ask dumb questions. Notwithstanding, long experience in the academic community teaches that only the brave have the nerve to ask the questions that most of the audience would like the answers to.

elroy

#3 Post by elroy »

Sage wrote:Wonderful news, terrific effort at 105M, el, thanks a bundle.
However, no-one in their right mind would cast YT as a 'power user'. Fiddler and clicker is all I aspire to along with a propensity to ask dumb questions. Notwithstanding, long experience in the academic community teaches that only the brave have the nerve to ask the questions that most of the audience would like the answers to.
Well Sage, your academic experience should have taught you that there are no 'dumb' questions. Ignorance doesn't equate to 'dumb'; just not knowing, which has nothing to do with overall intelligence. But I know that you know more than you're letting on. You're an experienced puppy user, and therefore have the knowledge to use this tool if you find the need to do so. And because of that background, you have a valuable 'base' of knowledge. If you choose to explore the lite version, your feedback would be most welcome. And besides, a 'firm grasp of the obvious' is not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm glad that you're happy with the overall ISO size. With xfce, and a recent kernel, I really couldn't make it much smaller.

When I refer to 'power-user', I'm referring to someone that's not afraid to experiment, that has a fairly well-grounded puppy background, and someone that isn't afraid of using the terminal. Someone that isn't afraid to experiment, and someone that has the ability to do so without fear. At the risk of sounding 'cliche' I'm referring to those that can think outside of the proverbial box. Because one might have to hack the puppy_lina_001.sfs file to fully realize the results they desire, depending on how far they want to take this.

Ultimately, I'm hoping this thread will be a free-flow of ideas from experienced users that can contribute to an overall knowledge-base concerning the topic of the custom-builder/adrive.

Billtoo

'lina-lite-001

#4 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to an hp desktop pc.

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Memory 3114MB (196MB used)Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.8-ski (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 12 16:42:30 EET 2012
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce GT 220/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GT 220/PCIe/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.64
Direct Rendering Yes

I used the devx from carolina and I tracked down the kernel source sfs
here:

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Saluki/k ... ixed-aufs/

I've added a few programs so far but just getting started, it's certainly fast :)
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(56.89 KiB) Downloaded 8839 times

elroy

Re: 'lina-lite-001

#5 Post by elroy »

Billtoo wrote:I did a manual frugal install to an hp desktop pc.

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Memory 3114MB (196MB used)Version
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce GT 220/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GT 220/PCIe/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.64
Direct Rendering Yes

I used the devx from carolina and I tracked down the kernel source sfs
here:

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Saluki/k ... ixed-aufs/

I've added a few programs so far but just getting started, it's certainly fast :)
Excellent work. Yes, I need to add the devx file yet. But you've done very well so far. You're precisely the kind of user that this was meant to be offered for. Please keep us updated :D

Billtoo

'lina-lite-001

#6 Post by Billtoo »

With a combination of pets that I made in Racy + some new stuff
compiled in lina-lite I was able to compile vlc-2.0.4.
So with gaming,browsing,music and video covered, that's pretty much
all that I want from lina-lite.
I'd better back up my savefile :)
Attachments
Screenshot-2.jpg
(51.31 KiB) Downloaded 8845 times

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

First quick look confirms fast, even snappy, without all that superfluous baggage we usually get. A ton of guys on DW could learn a lot from your magnificent handiwork, el, as they relentlessly churn out their bloated liveDVD s of carefully chosen apps most punters will never view. Bet you're standing proud this morning.
Incidentally, it's deeply unfashionable to say anything even mildly concordant with my views on this Forum and certain other outlets for fear of currying disfavour with the usual suspects. Hope your shoulders are broad enough?

If using the PPM Opera version, choose the second FP on the list NOT the first.

Unable to complete the PMount of USB stick - goes through the motions, then fails to appear in any menu (not even the wrong menu!).
Last edited by Sage on Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

rg66

#8 Post by rg66 »

Thanks for this Elroy!

None of my drives are showing in Thunar side pane, even after mounting with Pmount. Also I had to remove my other Carolina frugal installs or the zdrive wouldn't load.

edit: Solved drives not showing by installing pup-volume-monitor. Just an opinion but maybe this should have been included.

@Billtoo

If possible could you post a link to your VLC 2.0.4?
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Billtoo

#9 Post by Billtoo »

rg66 wrote:
@Billtoo

If possible could you post a link to your VLC 2.0.4?
Hi rg66,
The vlc 2.0.4 needs the proprietary nvidia driver installed or it doesn't work for video so I won't be posting it, sorry.

Billtoo

#10 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote: Unable to complete the PMount of USB stick - goes through the motions, then fails to appear in any menu (not even the wrong menu!).
Pmount is working fine here.
Attachments
pmount.jpg
(53.97 KiB) Downloaded 8660 times

Billtoo

'lina-lite-001

#11 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to my Acer laptop.
I installed the kernel source sfs and the devx from carolina 003.
Downloaded and installed amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.10-x86.x86_64.run
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz
Memory 3103MB (262MB used)
Version
C Library GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 4.3.4 (GCC)
Display
Resolution 1600x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
Version 4.2.11931 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes
Network controller Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter

I installed the vlc-2.0.4 pet that I made earlier and when it
installed it asked to search for missing dependencies, did that and
installed ffmpeg and qt-480, still a couple missing, but it is working
so not needed I guess.
It does need the proprietary ati or nvidia driver installed depending
on the graphics card.

@elroy, thanks for lina-lite, it's fun :)
If you'd like the VLC-2.0.4 pet that I made let me know and I'll pm
you with a download link and you can check it out, it's pretty big at
25 mb but it's working well on my hardware.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(51.7 KiB) Downloaded 8487 times

Marv

lina-lite-001

#12 Post by Marv »

Manual Grub4dos frugal install to 16 Gb ide flash cf card in 1.6Ghz Pentium M based fujitsu lifebook. Intel i855 graphics, Pro 2200 wireless, 1GB RAM.

Nice and quick, intel video fine, sound fine, touchpad fine, acpid suspend works, CPU frequency scaling works (for some reason default min and max freq are swapped in the GUI when the centrino speedstep driver used but works fine when proper #s are entered). Love the slimness. Couple of minor glitches:
None of my drives are showing in Thunar side pane, even after mounting with Pmount. Also I had to remove my other Carolina frugal installs or the zdrive wouldn't load.

edit: Solved drives not showing by installing pup-volume-monitor. Just an opinion but maybe this should have been included.
Same here, same solution, install (or reinstall) pup-volume-monitor-0.1.8-i486 from the repository. All drives (ide-flash fat32 and ext2, usb fat32) then show up and mount and unmount correctly from desktop or thunar. USB drive showing as sdb, not sdb1 on Xfce panel mounter so won't work.....yet....

edited: pmount works fine on all my drives as well. xfce4 panel-mounter behavior basically unchanged from Saluki023 or Carolina002. Sees ide-flash drives fine, sees already mounted USB drives fine, seems to rely on fstab data rather than probing drives. Pmount back on the panel again.

Intel pro 2200 wireless card using ipw2200 driver would'nt work until I copied the firmware files (*.fw) from /lib/modules/all-firmware/ipw2200-firmware-3.0/lib/firmware to /lib/firmware. Same workaround as in earlier Carolina. Then both Dougal wizard or Frisbee work fine.

Beyond that, swapped in my faster probepart, Saluki shutdown-gui, resolv.conf.head for faster DNS, added my usual progs and will use daily.

Good minimal font, icon and theme choices, nice that the xfce compositor is enabled, white clock font (hurrah), xfce panel disk mounter much closer to working now, good working basic panel with an example launcher. All in all seems like an excellent base to build on. Been a while since we've had a 100 megger with this much on board.

Thanks!
Last edited by Marv on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 01:32, edited 2 times in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

#13 Post by elroy »

Thanks for the feedback guys. In hindsight perhaps I should have included the pup-volume-monitor. But at the time my mindset was to make it as small and unencumbered as possible.

@Billtoo, I certainly would like to check out your VLC-2.0.4 pet. Thanks!

elroy

#14 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:install (or reinstall) pup-volume-monitor-0.1.8-i486 from the repositor
No, it's not a reinstall. It wasn't included (although I may need to revisit that for 002). There is a newer version of the pup-volume-monitor in the repo - v.0.1.10.

elroy

#15 Post by elroy »

I've added the kernel sources/headers and the devx download locations to the first post of this thread. Check the first post for updates/info in the future. Also, it'd be a good idea to hang onto the original lina-lite-001 ISO as future versions/updates will be made available as delta files (and standard ISO files, too). Using delta's will make for much smaller downloads.

Marv

xfce4-panel-mounter

#16 Post by Marv »

elroy wrote:
Marv wrote:install (or reinstall) pup-volume-monitor-0.1.8-i486 from the repositor
No, it's not a reinstall. It wasn't included (although I may need to revisit that for 002). There is a newer version of the pup-volume-monitor in the repo - v.0.1.10.
Gotcha, thanks. installed the v.0.1.10. Played a bit more with the xfce4-panel-plugin-mounter. Indeed, it does take its drive info from the fstab in /etc, and pup-volume-monitor via its fstab rules and fstabd is entering sdb and not sdb1 into the fstab. Using pup-volume-monitor-admin --listen -d rv it appears that the volume monitor is reporting an add event for both sdb and sdb1 and then possibly a change event to sdb1 on USB insertion but only the sdb is entered into fstab. Stuck there for now. Brain smoking. Must like puzzles cause pmount works correctly and quickly now in the panel.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Marv

notifications

#17 Post by Marv »

Notifications (on save2flash or network setup for example) were not working at all on my 001 install. Installed xfce4-notifyd from the repo ( it said some files were installed but didn't show up in the control panel). Notifications then worked fine, set to default, removed notifyd, and they continue to work. Survived a reboot.

Like pup-volume-monitor, it's not small, but might save some bamboozlement if added in initially.

I can't really find much to eliminate in trade other than icons and fonts. I use hicolor and or Neu blue which are both quite a bit smaller than the Aw0ken_full and swap out the DejaVu for Bitstream Vera and Arial though that fontswap makes it much less international. Limiting icons to hicolor seems fair in a Lite version though.

Pretty minor bumps. Basically it flies as advertised. WELL!

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

Another hero rides to assist! Well done, M.
After banging on about size for a couple of years, it's extremely encouraging that el has taken up the cudgels, produced the goods and shown that there are multiple benefits from a reduced-fat .iso. So much more skill and insight than just adding an endless succession of libs & co. to placate the bleating hordes! The silent majority will come to realise the magnitude your significant contributions. This distro is seriously G-O-O-D.
Anyone for a 50M version.....

dawg

#19 Post by dawg »

Regarding the version numbering: why 001, and not 003, or is Lite so much different from the Carolina 003 ?
The thing is, it tends to add to the confusion, especially for newcomers, as now you have 3 distros of the same kind (Saluki, Carolina, Lina Lite -??), which, IMO, all could/should have been one. Is all this branching really necessary?
Just something to consider...

Anyhow, Lina Lite - excellent idea and much appreciated!
Thanks, elroy & everyone who contributes to it!
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

Billtoo

'lina-lite-001

#20 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to hard drive on emachines laptop.

VIDEO REPORT: lina-lite, version 001
Chip description:
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS690 01.00
Driver used by Xorg:
radeon
Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Memory 1812MB (164MB used)
Display
Resolution 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
Version
OpenGL
Vendor Mesa Project
Renderer Software Rasterizer
Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3
Direct Rendering Yes
Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY

VLC works with the radeon driver.
One problem that I have is that the internal dvd drive
isn't seen by pmount, I plugged in my usb cd/dvd drive and
it is seen and mounts no problem.
Lina-lite is working well apart from the dvd drive problem.

EDIT:Installing pup-volume-monitor in ppm fixed the dvd drive problem.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(54.02 KiB) Downloaded 1163 times