Impossible to power off

Booting, installing, newbie
semsaudade

Impossible to power off

#1 Post by semsaudade »

Finally I managed to install Puppy Linux on my Asus EeePc 900. It works quite well, but I still have a big problem. It seems impossible to power off the PC, neither via menu neither going to prompt and typing "poweroff".

In both cases screen goes black and then I receive following messages:

Code: Select all

Lucid is now shutting down
mounted directly, session already saved
login [24853]: root login on tty
After that Puppy restarts X-server without network connection. The only way to power offf my PC is long pressing OFF button.

Please help me. Thanks a lot
Giancarlo[/code]

RetroTechGuy

Re: Impossible to power off

#2 Post by RetroTechGuy »

semsaudade wrote:Finally I managed to install Puppy Linux on my Asus EeePc 900. It works quite well, but I still have a big problem. It seems impossible to power off the PC, neither via menu neither going to prompt and typing "poweroff".

In both cases screen goes black and then I receive following messages:

Lucid is now shutting down
mounted directly, session already saved
login [24853]: root login on tty
After that Puppy restarts X-server without network connection. The only way to power offf my PC is long pressing OFF button.

Please help me. Thanks a lot
Giancarlo[/code]
I wonder if your lupusave is corrupted.

I run Lucid (5.28) on my Asus eee900 (on the SD card) and it works fine.

The one thing I do is have my machine scan the save file for errors on every boot -- keeps it clean and functioning perfectly.

Can you get a boot menu command prompt and try:

puppy pfix=fsck
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Sky Aisling

Impossible to power off

#3 Post by Sky Aisling »

semsaudade

You find the Puppy *boot commands* by pressing the F2 key when the picture of Puppy appears on the screen right after the machine boots up.

You gotta be quick with the F2 key.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

semsaudade,

What version of Puppy?
How is it installed?
Full or frugal?

What you describe is the classic shutdown problem, with full installs, if the partition the full install is on, is mounted, when you shutdown.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

semsaudade

#5 Post by semsaudade »

My Puppy is last version 5.28, Full installation on SSD internal drive.

I think Bigpup is right, because I made a little experiment. If I poweroff just after booting, without doing anything, it works fine. If I click and open my sda1 system partition with file explorer, after trying to shutdown I experience the problem I described.

Thanks for your answers. What can I try to do?

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Just make sure you have sda1 not mounted when you shutdown.
The sda1 drive icon on the desktop will indicate if mounted or not.
If mounted, use the drive icon to unmount. Right clicking on it and choose unmount sda1.

Also, at shutdown, do not have a Rox file manager window open showing any content of sda1.

Here is the confusing part. The drive partition sda1 has to be mounted, because the system just booted from it and programs are accessed/stored on sda1 as you run them. The problem comes into play when it gets further mounted (in active use) through the drive icons on the desktop or Rox file manager.

This only seems to affect full installs.
A little bug you just need to know about.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Peterm321

#7 Post by Peterm321 »

Sometimes a filesystem will refuse to umount (unmount) if a process has a directory on that filesystem simply as its current working directory without there even being any files open on it.

Emelfm2 has this annoying habit of holding on to a filesystem on occasions even after navigating away and has to be closed down before umount will work.

If after closing down all applications and normal shutdown still doesnt work then there are some nuclear options that may still be a better option than pulling the plug (whilst still trying to resolve any possible device or file system corruption issue preventing normal shutdown/reboot scripts working).

the command

umount -ar

will attempt to umount as much active filesystems as possible.

the busybox multi call binary, installed in most if not all puppy linux systems, has a couple of applets for shutting down/rebooting a system and will bypass rc.shutdown script etc. which might be useful as a temporary workaround for malfunctioning shutdown scripts.

At the command prompt:

busybox poweroff

will attempt to clear the systems buffers and poweroff the system.

busybox poweroff -f

(Forced poweroff, even more drastic)

busybox poweroff -n -f poweroff

Forced poweroff without attempting to clear write buffers.

Nuclear. More or less equivalent to pulling the plug. Not very kind to filesystems. I once used this command to poweroff my system when a copy operation on a usb drive failed and the copy operation stalled and could not be killed off. Somehow I still prefer this option to pulling the plug, though.

semsaudade

#8 Post by semsaudade »

Thanks for your kind answers. Is there any way to automatize the unmount of sda1 at shutdown (just not to have to do it manually every time)?

semsaudade

#9 Post by semsaudade »

Any solution for automatically unmount devices?

Evil20071

#10 Post by Evil20071 »

You should be able to create a shutdown script that is executed that will unmount your filesystem. Use the CLI commands for mounting and unmounting your drive and you should be able to insert that into the shutdown script. I'm not exactly sure where the actual script is off the top of my head, but it should be fairly simple to edit it.
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

Jasper

#11 Post by Jasper »

Hi semsaudade,

I don't unmount before shutdown - and have no ill effects.

Though wait for any USB stick/drive light(s) to stop flashing and don't
unplug without unmounting.

My regards

PS 01micko and tasmod have combined to produce "startmount" (already included with some Pups - else search for the pet).

It can automatically mount chosen drives on boot-up and can also run a user's choice of apps.

semsaudade

#12 Post by semsaudade »

Thanks for your kind answers.

As for the shutdown script, unfortunately my acknowledges of Linux is far too basic to be able to write such a script by myself. If nobody knows where I could find it, I think I would give up.

Jasper, I know startmount, but I don't think it is what I am looking for. I need to unmount all my drives since I have a difficult power off on my Puppy.

Evil20071

#13 Post by Evil20071 »

You're looking for shutdown.rc and all you have to add is unmount /dev/sda1 if memory serves. Add it at the beginning.

Peterm321

#14 Post by Peterm321 »

The shutdown script is located (at least on my system Wary 5.0) at

/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

An a line specific to umount the removable drive or drives could be added near the start of this script but from my reading the shutdown script eventually does a "umount -ar" anyway. That should have umounted everything cleanly unless perhaps there is is some kind of problem or conflict that is preventing a clean umount.

Evil20071

#15 Post by Evil20071 »

Why is it I always get the "rc" part of that name backwards? >.<

semsaudade

#16 Post by semsaudade »

As far as I can understand, there is already an unmount comand as the last line in my rc.shutdown file:

busybox umount -ar > /dev/null 2>&1
So, which is the purpose of adding one more? And where exactly and written in which way (options and all)?

Thanks for your patience