Forum Display bug?-(Resolved)

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Monsie

#1 Post by Monsie »

Attention: John, Flash, et al

I want to report a possible bug with the Forum display. When I am browsing the threads, I sometimes find that when I go to read up on a topic that the page changes its size to a wide view, and consequently, I have to use the horizontal scroll bar to read each line of text. Then, I sometimes find that when I proceed to the next page in the thread, it reverts to normal size and fits properly on the screen again.

The thing is... it doesn't happen all of the time... just some of the time... :?
So, I am wondering... Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem? Any ideas as to what is going on?

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I could use an updated display driver... if there is one. Should I blame it on my old computer instead? :oops:

If need be, I can upload a screenshot... but I think that I have described the problem fairly well.

Thanks for looking into this,
Monsie
Last edited by Monsie on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Jasper

#2 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

It's almost always because a single post on a page includes a
screenshot wider than 600 pixels. PupSnap (from radky), Screeny
(from 01micko) and others (e.g. from Argolance) can used to make
"forum sized" screenshots.

Somehow, once in a blue moon the problem is 'wide' text. Opera
can fix that with 'fit to screen' though I have no idea how to fix it in
Seamonkey or any other browser.

Ray MK

#3 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Monsie

I suspect that the cause is large/unscaled images on the page.

I have noticed this annoying feature previously.

Perhaps the solution is for the forum to restrict the size of posted images.

HTH - very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Jasper

#4 Post by Jasper »

Hi again.

The official forum limit is a screenshot maximum width of 600 pixels,
but without automatic restriction.

Flash and many members probably have wide screen resolutions
(perhaps 1920 pixels) and are rarely affected.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

You are right, my screen is 1440 wide. But since many forum members don't (or anyway didn't used to) have very high resolution displays, the forum was limited to display images no more than 600 pixels wide. I recently changed that to 800.

Also, if someone uses the "Code" option of the forum compose window to include in his post a long string of code that has no carriage returns, the forum software will then display a page wider than the screen.

You can easily find the offending post by first scrolling the window to the right margin, then scrolling up and down the page until you find the line of text (or picture) that goes to the margin.

Jasper

#6 Post by Jasper »

Hi Flash.

Thank you for your definitive explanation and information about the
increase in maximum allowed screenshot width to 800 pixels.

My regards

Monsie

#7 Post by Monsie »

Thanks guys, for your input and helping to clear up the matter. :)

For my old system, I have a 15 inch LCD monitor that runs @ 1024x768 which is probably the lowest resolution that people use these days... So if there is a size limit of 800 pixels in width, that would account for me having to scroll horizontally.

I think the 800 pixel size limit is very reasonable. It seems though that some pages exceed that limit, because sometimes I find that I am scrolling horizontally a fair distance... so it might be a good idea to check these settings.

Cheers,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

The 800 pixel width limit is only for images uploaded to the forum itself, as attachments to posts. Images linked to within posts (with the Img tag) can be any width.