Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 14 Sep 2014, 22:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 26 of 95 [1412 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 93, 94, 95 Next
Author Message
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 10:35    Post subject:  

jpup wrote:
Billtoo wrote:
jpup wrote:
I think I really need to get vlc working on carolina... or a better video player...

umplayer is ok... but H264 is giving my CPU a really good workout Laughing



by the way... I've noticed I keep getting logged out of the forum


Here's a link to a VLC-2.0.4 pet that I made, it may or may not work for you but worth a try I guess Smile

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-79088f3a.html


wow! thanks Billtoo Very Happy

I'm gonna try your work Very Happy

any tips on getting hardware acceleration working on an ATI?

umplayer seems to handle avc1 and mkv quite well

but plain H264 is just a pain especially with higher resolutions

thanks again Very Happy


There's a tutorial on the first post of this thread on how to install the ATI driver on Carolina in 'How-to's, Tutorials, and Help'. You mentioned that you had success doing so in 002. You could always install it on a new savefile on 002, mount the savefile and then copy the files and make a pet out of it, too. And if you can't get vlc working, you could also try the new version of parole from the repo. I compiled that a few days ago. Also, make sure you've installed all of the gst pets, gst-ffmpeg, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad, and gst-plugins-ugly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
okokoook

Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 13:28    Post subject:  

yerc1 wrote:


I requested and elroy was very kind to do a pet for ENE usb card driver in 002. That is now part of 003 kernel (i think) since Carolina recognises when sd card is inserted and mounts it.


just curious, where can we get the ENE usb card driver pet? i did not see such pet in the repo. thanks

michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
yerc1

Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Posts: 58

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 15:32    Post subject:  

okokoook wrote:
yerc1 wrote:

I requested and elroy was very kind to do a pet for ENE usb card driver in 002. That is now part of 003 kernel (i think) since Carolina recognises when sd card is inserted and mounts it.

just curious, where can we get the ENE usb card driver pet? i did not see such pet in the repo. thanks

it's in http://smokey01.com/carolina/elroy/

cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
yerc1

Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Posts: 58

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 15:50    Post subject:  

elroy wrote:
yerc1 wrote:
I will continue using 003 side by side with 002 and post my observations here.

Thanks yerc1. Looking forward to hearing about your observations.

I found a couple of issues which I can live with, but need attention as I want others to see Carolina as the perfect OS.

1 - Fonts
In 002, fonts are uniform throughout no matter what hinting option is in place. This changed in 003. In the attached 003 screenshots of Thunar with full hinting and without hinting, note how the menu and tab fonts look different from the side pane and file name fonts when full hinting is applied.

2- Image/ photo icons in Thunar thumbnail view.
In 002, Thunar shows the preview of an image/photo as the file icon. 003 shows a generic icon only. Unchecking then putting the check back on "Show thumbnails" in Thunar preferences has no effect.

These are simply cosmetic issues; Carolina remains my favorite OS.

Thanks to elroy, Geoffrey and everyone involved!
Thunar_no hinting.png
Description 
png

 Download 
Filename  Thunar_no hinting.png 
Filesize  194.25 KB 
Downloaded  313 Time(s) 
Thunar_full hinting.png
Description 
png

 Download 
Filename  Thunar_full hinting.png 
Filesize  180.33 KB 
Downloaded  318 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
linux

Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 17:32    Post subject:  

elroy wrote:

There's a tutorial on the first post of this thread on how to install the ATI driver on Carolina in 'How-to's, Tutorials, and Help'. You mentioned that you had success doing so in 002. You could always install it on a new savefile on 002, mount the savefile and then copy the files and make a pet out of it, too. And if you can't get vlc working, you could also try the new version of parole from the repo. I compiled that a few days ago. Also, make sure you've installed all of the gst pets, gst-ffmpeg, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad, and gst-plugins-ugly.


I can not get VLC player or UMplayer to work on 003. Both of these worked fine with 002. I have tried installing the gst-plugins but it is still not working.

I just wondered if I am missing something

Thanks again for your patience
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
wsamh

Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Posts: 79

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 18:30    Post subject:  

How do I get the notification sounds to work on skype?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1374
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 19:03    Post subject:  

wsamh wrote:
How do I get the notification sounds to work on skype?


They didn't work when I tested them, I had to configure them in the options and run the test on each item and they now work.
Screenshot-4.png
 Description   
 Filesize   52 KB
 Viewed   927 Time(s)

Screenshot-4.png


_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
wsamh

Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Posts: 79

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 20:05    Post subject:  

where it says "play sound file". next to the sound file, it has a caution sign with "The file is not accessible" while hovering over the caution sign.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1374
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 21:59    Post subject:  

wsamh wrote:
where it says "play sound file". next to the sound file, it has a caution sign with "The file is not accessible" while hovering over the caution sign.

You need to navigate to where the sound files are and select them /opt/skype/sounds

Though I'm sure I never had to do this previously Confused
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   108.11 KB
 Viewed   895 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg


_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
okokoook

Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2012, 00:48    Post subject:  

yerc1 wrote:
okokoook wrote:
yerc1 wrote:

I requested and elroy was very kind to do a pet for ENE usb card driver in 002. That is now part of 003 kernel (i think) since Carolina recognises when sd card is inserted and mounts it.

just curious, where can we get the ENE usb card driver pet? i did not see such pet in the repo. thanks

it's in http://smokey01.com/carolina/elroy/

cheers


thanks i gradually figured that out it was the ene -lina pet. now let us carolina
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
wsamh

Joined: 16 Apr 2010
Posts: 79

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2012, 02:29    Post subject:  

thanks. I kind of figured I had to look for the sounds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Retro Gamer

Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2012, 03:41    Post subject:  

Just to note when i tried the mumble pet in my Saluki 23 I also had no sound from it, nor did it seem to pickup my mic when setting up mumble after install. Even after those to major issues I still connected to a server out of curiosity and the program baulked about codecs mismatching(or non-existent) which could cause no sound sometimes in other situations. It could be nothing but I thought to post it just in case. The actual message was:
Code:
[05:32:07] Welcome to Mumble.
[05:34:15] Connecting to server mumble.axxim.net.
[05:34:22] Connected.
[05:34:22] Unable to find matching CELT codecs with other clients. You will not be able to talk to all users.
[05:34:22] Welcome message:
Welcome to our new Mumble server!
Enjoy your stay.

I'm trying mumble as a friend suggested it and used it a lot so the codec message might be a common one I wouldn't know.

elroy wrote:
..If you're not getting sound, I guess it's back to the drawing board. Making mumble is a bugger 'n a half. Thanks for the update.


I usually use the same Saluki thumb drive with both my PC & laptop. I have tried Carolina 3, but it will not boot past the 5 second startup screen on the same Amd dual-core based PC with Nvidia 550TI that boots Saluki 23 just fine off a usb flash drive or internal hard drive. It does boot up and seem to work ok on my HP G50 laptop running dual-core Pentium and Intel graphics. One of 2 only "weird" issues that might(?) be input/touch pad related(?) I had a few times was when installing pets from the package manager I click on the pet I want to install from the list and click on the popup dialogs that follow. Once I click to close the last confirmation dialog after the pet is installed the "Do you want to install" message pops up like I just clicked to install the same pet again, but didn't. I could click the [x] or cancel to close it but the dialog just came right back over and over again. At the same time if I moved my mouse cursor over any part of the title bar of the package manager window itself the cursor would turn into the horizontal resize cursor <-> which isn't normal behavior. I had to eventually force close the package manager to make it stop.

I love the effort being put into this, but the bigger version is not the best OOTB I've had and didn't expect it to be YET since its a WIP. Hell I didn't try Saluki until version 18. Right now I need stuff to "just work", but I hope to find time to experiment with my favored lighter version. You've done a lot of work on this and Saluki. Thank you.

Updated November 23:

I finally managed to get Carolina working with my desktop by setting "nomodeset" at Carolina boot time. Seems to work just as great as Saluki for me. I've yet to tackle installing the Nvidia drivers so I can have dual screens back but it should be as easy as it is in Saluki I hope. Thanks again.

Last edited by Retro Gamer on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 02:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
einar

Joined: 12 Nov 2010
Posts: 161

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2012, 10:26    Post subject: Re: Carolina
Subject description: carolina 03 on intel imac
 

Billtoo wrote:
einar wrote:

Does your iMac have EFI bios ?


It's an approx 4 year old aluminum imac.


i have problems trying to run any puppy linux on a macbook pro.
It uses the EFI bios.

How did you get to test / install Carolina ? USB or CD ? The macbook pros CD/DVD rom is defective and i need to use usb flash. and for that to work i needs a folder and som files named EFI on the flash drive. I managed to install ubuntu once. but lost the flash drive and i cant find the how to. And anyways i will mutch rather install Carolina than Ubuntu.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
linux

Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2012, 15:22    Post subject: Re: Carolina
Subject description: carolina 03 on intel imac
 

einar wrote:
How did you get to test / install Carolina ? USB or CD ? The macbook pros CD/DVD rom is defective and i need to use usb flash. and for that to work i needs a folder and som files named EFI on the flash drive. I managed to install ubuntu once. but lost the flash drive and i cant find the how to. And anyways i will mutch rather install Carolina than Ubuntu.


I used rEFIt to run Carolina on a MacBook. I hopes this helps with your problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
einar

Joined: 12 Nov 2010
Posts: 161

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 10:23    Post subject: Re: Carolina
Subject description: carolina 03 on intel imac
 

linux wrote:
einar wrote:
How did you get to test / install Carolina ? USB or CD ? The macbook pros CD/DVD rom is defective and i need to use usb flash. and for that to work i needs a folder and som files named EFI on the flash drive. I managed to install ubuntu once. but lost the flash drive and i cant find the how to. And anyways i will mutch rather install Carolina than Ubuntu.


I used rEFIt to run Carolina on a MacBook. I hopes this helps with your problem.


Ive got reeit installed, and now i am confused. I get it up, but how can i boot a linux disto on it. could you pm me ? ive tink im on to somthing useing elilo but im very green on this subjekt.

thanks

Einar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 26 of 95 [1412 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 93, 94, 95 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1205s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0219s) ][ GZIP on ]