Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
yerc1

Re: carolina 003

#361 Post by yerc1 »

jpup wrote:... I had to import a save file that came from lina 002 which had my ATI drivers preloaded.
Did you manually import the savefile or did you pick it from boot and said yes to the prompt to upgrade?

I asked because I prefer to roll over my save file to a new version.
I rolled over linasave file from 001 to 002 with no issue. Upgrading 002 savefile to 003 resulted in a message: that firmware drivers were not loaded, and to make sure zdrv_lina_003.sfs is in the same directory as puppy_lina_003.sfs (it is).

There seemed to be nothing wrong and the warning might relate to the 002 pet for missing firmware, still I made a new savefile from scratch to ensure no future issue comes up.

yerc1

#362 Post by yerc1 »

003 is working well here.

I requested and elroy was very kind to do a pet for ENE usb card driver in 002. That is now part of 003 kernel (i think) since Carolina recognises when sd card is inserted and mounts it.

I will continue using 003 side by side with 002 and post my observations here.

Thanks for Carolina!

elroy

#363 Post by elroy »

yerc1 wrote:I will continue using 003 side by side with 002 and post my observations here.
Thanks yerc1. Looking forward to hearing about your observations.

elroy

Re: Desktop

#364 Post by elroy »

Minnesota wrote:Puppy is a HAPPY, well designed and FUN OS!

How about a more upbeat desktop to greet a new user. The picture of night and full moon is very nice. But not as an advertisement for PUPPY.
Ah yes...well, you know, to each their own. It's all about diversity and everyone has an opinion on this. Personally, I hate the garish, 'in your face' crap. Basically it comes down to personal opinion concerning this matter. And regardless which side I fall upon I'm gonna be wrong. I know that as an ex-windows user (which I am) that I'm more apt to relate to something that is included with Carolina 003 than I am with a god-awful cartoon figure; it just isn't professional. Perhaps that's the ex-windows user in me - I expect a cold, sanitized look. Besides, it's easier on the eyes, and I can see the fonts that much better on a neutral color. It really does come down to personal preference. And in that case, no one is right. Everyone will have differing opinions on the matter. The good news is that it's easy to change it to your liking.

umair

#365 Post by umair »

Hi Elroy:
Just downloaded carolina, used saluki before. I m really impressed and really liked Carolina. just want to share one thing, Can u also include jitsi.pet in ur repos? I think its very handy package for those who like to use video calls. Or any other package similar to this thn pls share.
Best of Luck to you:
Regards
UMAIR

jpup

carolina 003

#366 Post by jpup »

yerc1 wrote: Did you manually import the savefile or did you pick it from boot and said yes to the prompt to upgrade?

I asked because I prefer to roll over my save file to a new version.
I rolled over linasave file from 001 to 002 with no issue. Upgrading 002 savefile to 003 resulted in a message: that firmware drivers were not loaded, and to make sure zdrv_lina_003.sfs is in the same directory as puppy_lina_003.sfs (it is).

There seemed to be nothing wrong and the warning might relate to the 002 pet for missing firmware, still I made a new savefile from scratch to ensure no future issue comes up.
well, there are always more radical ways of doing it :D but it can get complicated.

With my running system now... I just booted with the new carolina 003 and had it load my 002 save file which had my graphics driver all set up and loaded, and just agreed with the upgrade to 003.

I had no problems with the setup so far... even my wireless configuration and other application preferences got carried over.

But I think it is best not to mix up your new carolina 003 components (adrv_lina_003.sfs zdrv_lina_003.sfs initrd.gz vmlinuz puppy_lina_0003.sfs) with the old ones from 002.

Also, if you have a different desktop setup from 002 (panels, etc.)... it could get messed up.
You shouldn't really have any problems upgrading with an old save file... and your hardware setup should be all good... execpt ofcourse if you get some trouble with your modules.

I also like a fresh and clean setup everytime... but I had no choice but to load and existing save file this time due to the issues I was having when trying to install my ATI drivers on 003.

All in all... things are looking good... no real troubles except for the notifications not showing by default, my sensors plugin not working, and occasional hiccups with wireless. I just need to learn how to get the genmon plugin to show my cpu temps (anybody want to help?) and I'm all set :D

by the way I like the dark full moon not gloomy at all :D

Thanks

Later

Billtoo

Carolina

#367 Post by Billtoo »

I'm running carolina 03 from the live dvd with savefile on my intel
imac.
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 4127MB (329MB used)
Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.13-ski (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 27 22:26:10 EEST 2012
Display
Resolution 1680x1050 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.11.0
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT
Version 3.3.11653 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes
Creative Technology Ltd Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro

It's working well, I like that suspend works.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(106.06 KiB) Downloaded 708 times

einar

Re: Carolina

#368 Post by einar »

Billtoo wrote:I'm running carolina 03 from the live dvd with savefile on my intel
imac.
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 4127MB (329MB used)
Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.13-ski (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 27 22:26:10 EEST 2012
Display
Resolution 1680x1050 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.11.0
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT
Version 3.3.11653 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes
Creative Technology Ltd Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro

It's working well, I like that suspend works.
Does your iMac have EFI bios ?

umair

#369 Post by umair »

hello every one:
I m unable to change the desktop/folders icons.
here is the screenshot: Any Idea ?

Geoffrey

#370 Post by Geoffrey »

umair wrote:hello every one:
I m unable to change the desktop/folders icons.
here is the screenshot: Any Idea ?
umair, to use the desktop icon switcher you need to change the icon theme to hicolor then it will work.
Attachments
Screenshot-3.jpg
(41.54 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

umair

#371 Post by umair »

Geoffrey wrote: umair, to use the desktop icon switcher you need to change the icon theme to hicolor then it will work.
HI Geoffrey:
Thnx for prompt reply: Worked nicely. :-)
Regards
UMAIR

jpup

carolina 003

#372 Post by jpup »

I think I really need to get vlc working on carolina... or a better video player...

umplayer is ok... but H264 is giving my CPU a really good workout :lol:

by the way... I've noticed I keep getting logged out of the forum

Billtoo

Re: Carolina

#373 Post by Billtoo »

einar wrote: Does your iMac have EFI bios ?
It's an approx 4 year old aluminum imac.
Attachments
Screenshot-2.jpg
(33.78 KiB) Downloaded 586 times

Billtoo

Re: carolina 003

#374 Post by Billtoo »

jpup wrote:I think I really need to get vlc working on carolina... or a better video player...

Here's a link to a VLC-2.0.4 pet that I made, it may or may not work for you but worth a try I guess :)

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-79088f3a.html

jpup

#375 Post by jpup »

Billtoo wrote:
jpup wrote:I think I really need to get vlc working on carolina... or a better video player...

Here's a link to a VLC-2.0.4 pet that I made, it may or may not work for you but worth a try I guess :)

wow! thanks Billtoo :D

I'm gonna try your work :D

any tips on getting hardware acceleration working on an ATI?

umplayer seems to handle avc1 and mkv quite well

but plain H264 is just a pain especially with higher resolutions

thanks again :D

elroy

#376 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:
Billtoo wrote:

wow! thanks Billtoo :D

I'm gonna try your work :D

any tips on getting hardware acceleration working on an ATI?

umplayer seems to handle avc1 and mkv quite well

but plain H264 is just a pain especially with higher resolutions

thanks again :D
There's a tutorial on the first post of this thread on how to install the ATI driver on Carolina in 'How-to's, Tutorials, and Help'. You mentioned that you had success doing so in 002. You could always install it on a new savefile on 002, mount the savefile and then copy the files and make a pet out of it, too. And if you can't get vlc working, you could also try the new version of parole from the repo. I compiled that a few days ago. Also, make sure you've installed all of the gst pets, gst-ffmpeg, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad, and gst-plugins-ugly.

okokoook

#377 Post by okokoook »

yerc1 wrote:
I requested and elroy was very kind to do a pet for ENE usb card driver in 002. That is now part of 003 kernel (i think) since Carolina recognises when sd card is inserted and mounts it.
just curious, where can we get the ENE usb card driver pet? i did not see such pet in the repo. thanks

michael

yerc1

#378 Post by yerc1 »

okokoook wrote:
yerc1 wrote: I requested and elroy was very kind to do a pet for ENE usb card driver in 002. That is now part of 003 kernel (i think) since Carolina recognises when sd card is inserted and mounts it.
just curious, where can we get the ENE usb card driver pet? i did not see such pet in the repo. thanks
it's in http://smokey01.com/carolina/elroy/

cheers

yerc1

#379 Post by yerc1 »

elroy wrote:
yerc1 wrote:I will continue using 003 side by side with 002 and post my observations here.
Thanks yerc1. Looking forward to hearing about your observations.
I found a couple of issues which I can live with, but need attention as I want others to see Carolina as the perfect OS.

1 - Fonts
In 002, fonts are uniform throughout no matter what hinting option is in place. This changed in 003. In the attached 003 screenshots of Thunar with full hinting and without hinting, note how the menu and tab fonts look different from the side pane and file name fonts when full hinting is applied.

2- Image/ photo icons in Thunar thumbnail view.
In 002, Thunar shows the preview of an image/photo as the file icon. 003 shows a generic icon only. Unchecking then putting the check back on "Show thumbnails" in Thunar preferences has no effect.

These are simply cosmetic issues; Carolina remains my favorite OS.

Thanks to elroy, Geoffrey and everyone involved!
Attachments
Thunar_no hinting.png
(194.25 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
Thunar_full hinting.png
(180.33 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

linux

#380 Post by linux »

elroy wrote: There's a tutorial on the first post of this thread on how to install the ATI driver on Carolina in 'How-to's, Tutorials, and Help'. You mentioned that you had success doing so in 002. You could always install it on a new savefile on 002, mount the savefile and then copy the files and make a pet out of it, too. And if you can't get vlc working, you could also try the new version of parole from the repo. I compiled that a few days ago. Also, make sure you've installed all of the gst pets, gst-ffmpeg, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad, and gst-plugins-ugly.
I can not get VLC player or UMplayer to work on 003. Both of these worked fine with 002. I have tried installing the gst-plugins but it is still not working.

I just wondered if I am missing something

Thanks again for your patience