Recommended reading for Puppy/Linux?

Booting, installing, newbie
papahonk

Recommended reading for Puppy/Linux?

#1 Post by papahonk »

Hello, i have Lupu 528 running off a 32 G thumbdrive on a Acer AO751h with the oh so wonderful :roll: poulsbo vid chip.
i downloaded the pdf book for puppy but, after reading it seems to be just a nice overview with nothing really in-depth. I have no internet at home and cant get to local library very often. maybe once a week :cry: I can check my email on my phone once im out of the blackhole that my home sits in. its hard to read anything on a phone and my boss and DOT would pitch a fit if i tried to do anything with my phone while i drove. its around a 2k fine for the driver and i think a 5 k fine for employer if caught using phone in com. vehicle. so it stays in scout till work is done. well back to the main point i need something i can read in my blackhole er home that is is there anything you folks would/could recommend pdf of bound book dont matter just need be little more in-depth
I started here looking for why the little ram meter went up and never back down and as it went up the slower things seemed to be. I was hoping there was someway of flushing ram once i was done with what i was doing. I then could do something different without rebooting

thank you for any help
Mike in Kansas

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Hello papahonk,

I don't know about any pup pdf's, but suspect, when you talk about the ram meter, you're referring to the green thingy, in bottom right corner, which actually shows how much free space is left in your save file. If so, please see this thread for some ideas about this.

Regarding poulsbo graphics, if you have gma500 chip, this threadmight interest you.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

What sort of information are you actually looking for? We could probably point you to some good information on certain topics e.g. the Linux filesystem hierarchy or bash scripting. But it sounds like you are looking for some sort of general "learn more about Puppy" topic.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

cowboy

beginner reading

#4 Post by cowboy »

hello,

As a new beginner, I found the following site, set up by longtime member pa_mcclamrock, to be helpful reading about setting up puppy and how it works: look to the links on the right side for information:

http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html

And there is always Barry's site, for info straight from the horse's mouth (as it were):

http://puppylinux.com/
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.