How do I copy files to the desktop?

Booting, installing, newbie
joeman137

How do I copy files to the desktop?

#1 Post by joeman137 »

Hello!

First off I'd like to say thanks, puppy linux made my mom's old laptop feel like a new computer :D

The question I have is when I input a usb storage device, how do I copy the file over? When I drag and drop using the rox manager onto the desktop no matter what keys I hold (ctrl, shift, alt) it seems to only make a symbolic link to the file. What would be the correct way to save the file to the desktop?

rcrsn51

Re: USB Copying Help

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

joeman137 wrote: What would be the correct way to save the file to the desktop?
Unlike Windows, the ROX desktop is not a place where you can store files. You can only have links to files.

You need to open an actual folder somewhere, like in /root, and drag your file there.

Moose On The Loose

Re: How do I copy files to the desktop?

#3 Post by Moose On The Loose »

joeman137 wrote:Hello!

First off I'd like to say thanks, puppy linux made my mom's old laptop feel like a new computer :D

The question I have is when I input a usb storage device, how do I copy the file over? When I drag and drop using the rox manager onto the desktop no matter what keys I hold (ctrl, shift, alt) it seems to only make a symbolic link to the file. What would be the correct way to save the file to the desktop?
See the other answer too.

Welcome to the world of Linux.

This confusion has lead many people astray. You can blame Microsoft for making computers more difficult to understand than they really need to be.

Part of what makes Puppy so easy to use is the fact that it keeps it simple. Unfortunately, this also means that confusing things that people have gotten used to just from dealing with them everyday are not in Puppy. Once you get over the hump of this, you will find Puppy much easier to use than Windows. Confusing things like "where are the files that are claimed to be on the desktop really stored?" Don't come up.

On a windows machine, the "C:" drive appears to be part of the "My Computer" thing. when really it is the other way around when you go looking at the harddrive.

joeman137

#4 Post by joeman137 »

Ah I see, thanks for the answer and insight!

I'm still a little new to the world of Linux. I'm somewhat aware of the options for different desktop environments. I just assumed that since Ubuntu(gnome) allowed that functionality most other distro's would as well. I suppose I must tread more carefully :D

cowboy

drag and drop

#5 Post by cowboy »

joeman137

As rcrsn51 correctly stated, the inability of your version of Puppy to drag and drop to the desktop is simply a feature (or perhaps a lack of one) of the ROX file manager that many versions of Puppy utilize.

And remember, Linux can do anything Windows can do, you simply have to shop around a bit, and you can create an experience very similar to that you left behind on many distros. Ubuntu and the nautilus file manager allows you to drag and drop to the desktop, as do many of the "heavier" distros and their file managers. One of the new pups in the pound, LXpup, which you will find in the "Derivatives" section, utilizes the LXDE desktop, and the PCMan file manager, and allows you to drag and drop to the desktop in Puppy.

Simply keep in mind that many versions of Puppy are built for that speed you find so intriguing, and sometimes that calls for leaving a few features behind. However, a little searching in the world of Linux can recreate almost any feature found in Windows, and with far better security.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.