Puppy from CD sees HD but none of the data in it

Booting, installing, newbie
FeodorF

#21 Post by FeodorF »

Horatio, let us try something else:

- boot up Puppy Linux

- open the 'Menu' choose 'System' and there 'Pdisk partition manager' and click on it to start this application.

- The window 'Pdisk drive partition manager' will open up. Choose the option 'sda' and click on it.

- Another window of 'Pdisk drive partition manager' shows up. Choose 'fdisk' and click on it.

- In the 'fdisk' window you have to enter 'x' . This will take you to the next level of fdisk.

- Here you enter 'd'. This will print the raw data (hexdump) of your partition table.

- Next step: enter 'p' to print the partition table. At this point take a screen shot of it, like shown in the picture below.

- To get out of this risky area of fdisk simply enter 'q' for quit.

The 'hexdump' will show if there are vital data left in the partition table or not.
Attachments
hddTrouble_06.png
(20.54 KiB) Downloaded 470 times

Horatio

#22 Post by Horatio »

FeodorF wrote:Horatio, let us try something else:

- boot up Puppy Linux

- open the 'Menu' choose 'System' and there 'Pdisk partition manager' and click on it to start this application.

- The window 'Pdisk drive partition manager' will open up. Choose the option 'sda' and click on it.

- Another window of 'Pdisk drive partition manager' shows up. Choose 'fdisk' and click on it.

- In the 'fdisk' window you have to enter 'x' . This will take you to the next level of fdisk.

- Here you enter 'd'. This will print the raw data (hexdump) of your partition table.

- Next step: enter 'p' to print the partition table. At this point take a screen shot of it, like shown in the picture below.

- To get out of this risky area of fdisk simply enter 'q' for quit.

The 'hexdump' will show if there are vital data left in the partition table or not.
Attachments
fdisk x d p .png
(25.86 KiB) Downloaded 453 times

FeodorF

#23 Post by FeodorF »

Let's go with mathematics:

'Units=cylinders of 1290*512 bytes=660480 bytes'

660480 bytes converted into KB:

660480/1024=645 KB

86 heads*15 sectors = 1290 units *1/2KB = 645 KB

645 KB * 302885 cylinders = 195.360.825 KB (formated)

195.360.825 KB * 1.024 = 200049484800 bytes

So this part looks good!

(need a short break right now)

@Horatio:
At this point of testing I would consider contacting a windows user group to get further help on a save recovery of your personal data.

The reason why I'm saying this is: Linux uses a total different structure on storing data on hdd's. Our tools would destroy your data.

Regards Feodor
Last edited by FeodorF on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Horatio: What is the objective here - to recover data from this PC or to get it running with Puppy?

Horatio

#25 Post by Horatio »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Horatio: What is the objective here - to recover data from this PC or to get it running with Puppy?
The main objective is to recover the data & email between my last back up and the crash
Although I have back ups it appears they are incomplete

If I can also get this PC working again all to the good as I really don't like laptops and use the desk top most of the time