Can't install a driver for my webcam --RICOH

Booting, installing, newbie
benny7440

#21 Post by benny7440 »

Ok, today I did the following:
1) navigated to where I'm holding the PET file for the Ricoh driver in cfcard, once there opened a terminal;
2) typed 'mplayer tv://' with just a couple messages suggesting non-capable of running the command;
3) typed 'modprobe r5u870' & the system told me the module wasn't found;
4) at the folder where the PET is located clicked on it & installed it;
5) at the terminal repeated the last command & received just a "Warning" message;
6) tried the 'mplayer tv://' command again &, "voila" I jumped inside the screen.
I didn't used any of the following commands (today):
a)modprobe videodev; b)modprobe v4l1-compat;
c)modprobe v4l2-common.
Answering the last question, yes I was referring to "modprobe video-buf" there.
Thanks again!

PS. Since the use of Skype is now really important for me, all that I need to get it working is the internal mic. I remember that in another laptop running xp I was able to record sounds with the embedded mic but not to talk via the phone api that came with xp. In this machine I can hear the internal speakers sound the notebooks' welcome wave file, but nothing else afterwards. I only have sound if I connect an auxiliary amp via the 1/8" headphone jack.
With respect to ALSA Mixer, is there a good tutorial/manual for it? Have a lot of confusion with respect to the cards detected and the programs that are supposed to deal with them.

smil99

#22 Post by smil99 »

Hi rcrsn51,
I know this thread is a bit old but I would appreciate it if you can compile drivers for r5u870 this time, for Barry's Precise Pup 5.4 using the 3.2.29 kernel. I tried installing the one you provided earlier in this thread but it didn't work due to kernel mismatch.

lsusb for my sony computer gives the following about the inbuilt webcam:

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ca:1839 Ricoh Co., Ltd Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC6 [R5U870]
Thanks for all that you continue to do for us all in puppyland. :)
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

rcrsn51

#23 Post by rcrsn51 »

The original driver above won't compile in new kernels like Precise. However, there is an alternate project here that appears to support your webcam model.

The PET contains a udev rule, so if you reboot your system, the webcam should be auto-detected. Then run some video app like "mplayer tv://".

If not, run "r5u87x-loader --reload".
Attachments
ahixon-r5u87x-a9b2171d762b-i486.pet
(112.99 KiB) Downloaded 393 times

smil99

#24 Post by smil99 »

Thank you very much mate. I really appreciate your quick response.
I just tried the pet you provided and presto! my webcam sprung back to life. :D
Now both linphone and skype work with video on my computer. Hooray!.

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]