grub config menu.lst

Booting, installing, newbie
yonnie

grub config menu.lst

#1 Post by yonnie »

after install, I cannot get the grub config to accept anything typed into the blank text box. It repeats what is typed and says it's not linux. The example says it should be /dev/sda1, doesn't like that. I've tried variations of hda0 and others. It simply does not like anything entered into the box.

Grub folder exists on sda1 as /boot/grub, there is no menu.lst and grub config won't create it.

Been hunting for a sample of a config menu for 5.4.1, no such luck.

System is very old with IDE drives, at least 12yrs old, pentium3 coppermine. Seems to do everything just fine with this one exception.

Is there a cli method for installing grub? Or a sample menu.lst?
Last edited by yonnie on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

Monsie

Re: grub config menu.lst

#2 Post by Monsie »

yonnie wrote:Been hunting for a sample of a config menu for 5.4.1, no such luck.

System is very old with IDE drives, at least 12yrs old, pentium3 coppermine. Seems to do everything just fine with this one exception.
Which version of Puppy are you trying to install --Precise Puppy 5.4.1 ?
If so, I recommend Wary Puppy 5.3 for your computer instead, since it is designed for older systems such as yours. In fact, I run Wary Puppy on a Pentium 3 "Kestrel" (one model older than your coppermine) and also have a Pentium 3 "Coppermine" set up for my nephew with Wary as well.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

yonnie

#3 Post by yonnie »

I didn't see that one, but I'll try it.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

To deal with your GRUB problem, look at the automated installer here.

yonnie

#5 Post by yonnie »

rcrsn51, thanks. Reading your link, I see that the grub config is thinking my HDD is not a Linux partition? I don't understand why that would be as when I booted with the CD the first thing I did was to re-partition with gparted and made sda1 a 35GB partition with ext3 and and a 2GB Linux Swap partition. I then used the Full install. (windblows ME, is no-longer on this HDD)

I will try re-doing that and follow your links instructions. I'm running low on cd's so I'll do this first. This computer does not give the option to boot with a usb, too old.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

When I have seen the "not a Linux partition" error, it was because I was not following the instructions correctly and clicking on the wrong thing.