Gtkdialog Development

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
thunor
Location: Minas Tirith, in the Pelennor Fields fighting the Easterlings

#621 Post by thunor »

There are multiple formats for the input data and multiple methods of inputting it which can also be combined, so the data has to be output as it is in the tree widget -- raw -- and you'll need to process it with "cut" to match it to the format that you're going to use to reinput it.

The output format is:
icon-name | stock-id | data0 | data1 ...

so two columns using <input file stock-column="0"> with "gtk-ok|row1" (missing data for column B) will output "|gtk-ok|row1|".

Using the same input format, "\n" (missing stock-id and missing column data) will output "|||".

Using the same input format, cut -d"|" -f2- /tmp/outputfile > /tmp/inputfile will prepare the output data for reinput.

The following example demonstrates this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

echo "gtk-ok|row1
|row2
|row3

" > /tmp/inputfile

echo '
<window>
	<vbox>
		<tree>
			<label>A|B</label>
			<variable>tree</variable>
			<height>150</height>
			<input file stock-column="0">/tmp/inputfile</input>
			<output file>/tmp/outputfile</output>
		</tree>
		<hbox>
			<button>
				<label>Save and refresh</label>
				<action>save:tree</action>
				<action>cut -d"|" -f2- /tmp/outputfile > /tmp/inputfile</action>
				<action>refresh:tree</action>
			</button>
			<button use-stock="true" label="gtk-quit"></button>
		</hbox>
	</vbox>
</window>
' | gtkdialog -s
[EDIT]
For <input file icon-column="0"> use cut -d"|" -f2 --complement /tmp/outputfile > /tmp/inputfile

For <input file> use cut -d"|" -f3- /tmp/outputfile > /tmp/inputfile

Regards,
Thunor

zigbert

#622 Post by zigbert »

Thank you Thunor

Sigmund

thunor

#623 Post by thunor »

zigbert wrote:...
Somehow, hidden <entry> does show up.
This happens only if <entry> is set invisible in the first place. After executing 'show' and then 'hide', the <entry> is not visible anymore.
r472:
  • Solved the hidden widgets leaving artifacts at start-up problem.
Regards,
Thunor

thunor

#624 Post by thunor »

r473:
  • It's now possible to prevent the exporting of declared variables by using <variable export="false">VARNAME</variable>.
For example you have a text widget which you've named TEXT and it contains a document from an <input> or <input file> directive and you will be refreshing it at some point, but you're not interested in having TEXT="the-entire-contents-of-the-document..." exported to the shell every time a widget emits a signal so now you can disable it to increase performance.

I shall be adding this to widget reference next.

Regards,
Thunor

rerwin

Gtkdialog3 problem: Sometimes aborts instead of returning

#625 Post by rerwin »

Thunor,
I am new to this thread and have not yet examined the pages since 31. I think I need your help to understand and resolve what appears to be an unexpected way of exiting from a dialog.

I am integrating Frisbee into the mainstream puppy configuration, somewhat successfully. I saw this problem during testing with the recent betas of Precise pup 5.4.1 but cannot re-create the situation now. In 5.4.1 I see no problem, because the Frisbee dialog window always exits as expected, returning control to the script that invoked gtkdialog3. (We are starting Frisbee by way of the "connect wizard's" "Wired or wireless LAN" option.)

However, peebee and others see the "exit" (via the "Exit" button) failing the first time the dialog is used. Subsequent uses of the Frisbee script exit normally. When I was seeing that problem, I could repeat it if I chose another network tool, exited it, then chose Frisbee again. Furthermore, when Frisbee exits normally, another dialog appears to allow the user to try another tool. When the exit process malfunctions, that dialog does not appear, implying that not only did gtkdialog not return to its caller, it also bypassed the caller's caller. That behavior suggests that something actually kills the process running the dialogs.

To gather what evidence I could, I added trace logging before and after the invocation of gtkdialog3, Here is the code at the end of the Frisbee script, showing the definition of the "exit" button, the added logging and the code that is expected to execute following the use of gtldialog3:

export MAIN_DIALOG="
 . . .
  <button tooltip-text="Exit">
  <input file stock="gtk-quit"></input>
  <label>Exit</label>
  <action type="exit">Exit-NOW</action>
 </button>
    </hbox>
   </vbox>
 </notebook>
</window>
"

echo "$$ $0 Executing gtldialog3 MAIN_DIALOG" >> /tmp/udevtrace-modem.log  #DEBUG
RETVALS=`gtkdialog3 --program=MAIN_DIALOG --center`
echo "$$ $0 Resumed after gtldialog3 MAIN_DIALOG" >> /tmp/udevtrace-modem.log  #DEBUG
rm -f /tmp/Pwireless* 2>/dev/null

eval $RETVALS
if [[ "$EXIT" == "RESTART" ]] ; then 
	/etc/init.d/10-frisbee stop
	/etc/init.d/10-frisbee #121031 omit 'start' argument to run even if Frisbee not set as default.
	exec Frisbee

elif [[ "$EXIT" == "Exit-NOW" ]] ; then #121108...
 if [[ "$(pidof frisbee_tray)" == "" ]] ; then
  [[ "$(pidof network_tray)" != "" ]] && killall network_tray
  /usr/sbin/frisbee-tray&
 fi
fi
Here are the trace results:
Expected trace (from my version of precise pup 5.4.1):

30590 /usr/local/bin/Frisbee Executing gtldialog3 MAIN_DIALOG
30590 /usr/local/bin/Frisbee Resumed after gtldialog3 MAIN_DIALOG
Peebee's trace on first use in session:

10427 /usr/local/bin/Frisbee Executing gtldialog3 MAIN_DIALOG

As a second experiment, peebee ran Frisbee from the command line and saw it hang. I ran the same test and saw Frisbee return to the command prompt, as one would expect. That is consistent with his seeing a problem whereas I do not get it, even though we have installed the same set of packages to implement the integrated Frisbee.
peebee wrote:Don't know if this helps... but I tried running Frisbee from a terminal on Precise - messages are below....
but when I clicked Exit having setup a wifi connection, Frisbee did not finish - the terminal did not return to the # prompt and I had to type cntrl-c to make Frisbee finish.
There weren't any messages created when this happened.

# Frisbee
/usr/local/bin/Frisbee: line 14: 11306 Terminated              gtkdialog-splash -placement center -bg orange -text "Preparing network interfaces for Frisbee"
dhcpcd[11396]: version 5.2.9 starting
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
dhcpcd[11396]: forking to background
dhcpcd[11396]: forked to background, child pid 11426
killall: frisbee_tray: no process killed
OK
killall: wpa_supplicant: no process killed
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Device or resource busy
[1]+  Done                    reset-wpa
When I ran the test, I received almost-similar messages - rerwin's normal/successful run from command line (with no connections available):

# Frisbee
/usr/local/bin/Frisbee: line 14:  4656 Terminated              gtkdialog-splash -placement center -bg orange -text "Preparing network interfaces for Frisbee"
dhcpcd[4770]: version 5.2.9 starting
dhcpcd[4770]: forking to background
dhcpcd[4770]: forked to background, child pid 4810
cat: /tmp/wpa_supplicant.log: No such file or directory
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
OK
# 
1. Is there a way to add some debug/troubleshooting logging to gtkdialog to help identify where things go awry? Or is there already someplace to find diagnostic info from gtkdialog?

2. Because this seems, to me, to be a case where a data item is tested but is not the expected data, thus producing random results, could you examine the gtkdialog code that handles the "exit" process to look for a possible bug of that sort?

3. And, of course, please share any other thoughts you might have about this apparent malfunction, particularly if you have already addressed this problem in your releases after precise's gtkdialog version 0.8.0.

For reference, I attach the complete Frisbee script in case it holds other clues. Thank you for whatever you can do to help me troubleshoot this issue.
Richard
Attachments
Frisbee.gz
Integrated-Frisbee-3.0 script
(4.35 KiB) Downloaded 502 times

thunor

#626 Post by thunor »

Hi rerwin
peebee wrote:Don't know if this helps... but I tried running Frisbee from a terminal on Precise - messages are below....
but when I clicked Exit having setup a wifi connection, Frisbee did not finish - the terminal did not return to the # prompt and I had to type cntrl-c to make Frisbee finish.
There weren't any messages created when this happened.
I'm going to guess that this is the old "not exiting via the window manager" bug which was fixed in gtkdialog 0.8.2.

Gtkdialog can exit in two ways and one of those used to be dodgy but there was a workaround which was commonly used and it is this:

<action signal="hide">exit:EXIT-WM</action>
</window>
Try that -- I reckon that'll fix it :)

Actually all gtkdialog applications that are using < gtkdialog-0.8.2 should be including that fix on their closing window tag.

Regards,
Thunor

rerwin

#627 Post by rerwin »

thunor wrote:

</window>
. . .
Actually all gtkdialog applications that are using < gtkdialog-0.8.2 should be including that fix on their closing window tag.
Thunor,
Thank very much for that info. Rather than expect all gtkdialog developers to update their code, I would prefer to upgrade woof to use 0.8.2 or whatever might be even more stable. Do you have any qualms about making 0.8.2 official? I see that there are further considerations about 0.8.2, so should I wait for another version that would be targeted for woof?

I could add it to my woof-update package to get things started. For that to be accepted for woof, I expect the matching source code should be made available for Barry's puppy source-code library.

Now, after reviewing the previous few thread pages, I conclude that you provide the source code but that others (i.e., oldyeller) build the pet package. I guess I should simply provide a link to oldyeller's 0.8.2 download message for Frisbee-experimenters to include in the pertenent set of packages.
Richard

thunor

#628 Post by thunor »

Let me remove my programmers cap and don my politicians top hat.

What I meant to say was that new gtkdialog application developers would benefit from including that fix in their projects from the outset, but then again the issue is fixed in 0.8.2 which I'm sure will be included in forthcoming Puppy releases, so possibly it's not worth worrying about. I am not suggesting that all existing gtkdialog apps require updating.

* dons programmers cap again *

I [currently] write the source code (there are contributions by others too) and release source code packages on the gtkdialog website and then folk do whatever it is they want to do with it. On Slacko 5.3.3 for example, gtkdialog4 and gtkdialog3 are symlinks to gtkdialog (0.8.0) in /usr/sbin and I imagine this could differ across Puppy flavours, therefore packaging gtkdialog is something that involves other knowledgeable individuals.

Regards,
Thunor

01micko

#629 Post by 01micko »

Hello fellow gtkdialog followers

I'm definitely no programmer (hardly a distro builder :roll: ) but I took on the decision to rationalise gtkdialog in slacko-5.3x. When I started alpha development Thunor had just started redevelopment of gtkdialog and the first thing I did was convert all the old gtkdialog2 scripts to use the new version. The patched Patriot gtkdialog-0.7.1 had a bug with piping to stdout.

Next I removed the 0.7.1 version completely. Only a few things were broken. Among them were the poor calls to stock icons and sensitivity of some password entries. These were quickly fixed and accepted upstream.

Now, I'm still living close to the bleeding edge in slacko-5.4. This is mainly to facilitate Pmusic 3, surely the most comprehensive collections of shell using gtkdialog. There have been no reports of any detrimental effects.

The packaging I use just follows Puppy's "traditional" path for gtkdialog. As far as I know it's always been under /usr/sbin so manual intervention in packaging is needed. In a woof build or a running installation the post install script offers the user a choice of whether to clobber gtkdialog3 and link it to gtkdialog or leave as is.

I'd have no doubt old yeller's package binary is fine, but I would just check what it links to if anything. I think my approach is reasonably sane, as the "gtkdialog" executable was always missing from older puppies. The examples never worked out of the box. The pseudo convention of the day is to call anything wanting at least gtkdialog-0.8.0 with "gtkdialog4". Zigbert has made a pre-emptive decision to support gtkdialog5! I do hope we don't get to that point.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

8-bit

#630 Post by 8-bit »

In my case, I recently updated gtkdialog in Lupu 520.
I made the mistake when installing the PET packages of installing the gtkdialog Pet before installing the VTE pet.
So in that case, all the scripts that used gtKdialog stopped working including the option to use puppy package manager to uninstall that version of gtkdialog.
Luckily, I had an old version that I copied in replacing the one I had installed and then was able to install the VTE pet, reinstall the updated gtkdialog Pet and the DOC pet for it.
But If I had not been able to recover that way, I would have crippled Puppy and in effect, lost my lupusave file.

So if the developers include an updated gtkdialog in their Puppy releases, VTE should also be included.

That is unless someone knows something I do not.
BTW, the version I upgraded to was subversion 473.

peebee

#631 Post by peebee »

thunor wrote:Hi rerwin
Gtkdialog can exit in two ways and one of those used to be dodgy but there was a workaround which was commonly used and it is this:

</window>
Thunor
Hi Thunor

I am trying to test this for rerwin as I've got the right hardware setup (but not the developer skills)........

Grateful if you could confirm:

1. is the patch you've given a REPLACEMENT for the existing exit statement (<action type="exit">Exit-NOW</action>) or an ADDITIONAL statement immediately before </window>?

2. is the case of exit: significant - the later test in the script tests $EXIT

3. the patch given gives a syntax error - I'm guessing it should be:
<action signal="hide">exit:EXIT-WM</action> ??

I've tried both the replacement approach (this just makes the script exit early without functioning) and the additional line approach (doesn't seem to have any effect).....

I have determined that the exit button is not the one described above by rerwin but the earlier one in the same main-dialog script.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

thunor

#632 Post by thunor »

Hi peebee

1. Additional
2. No
3. Yes

Open Frisbee in Geany. At line 607 is this:

echo "$$ $0 Executing gtldialog3 MAIN_DIALOG" >> /tmp/udevtrace-modem.log  #DEBUG
echo "$$ $0 Resumed after gtldialog3 MAIN_DIALOG" >> /tmp/udevtrace-modem.log  #DEBUG
Apparently `gtkdialog3 --program=MAIN_DIALOG --center` is not exiting i.e. you have to press CTRL+C to get the process to exit, so let's see if we can force it to exit.

There are </window> end tags at lines 260, 331 and 604 -- change them all to:

<action signal=\"hide\">exit:FORCED-EXIT</action>
</window>
Run it in the terminal like you have been doing. Does it now exit properly or do you still have to press CTRL+C to get it to return to the script?

Regards,
Thunor

peebee

#633 Post by peebee »

thunor wrote:

<action signal="hide">exit:FORCED-EXIT</action>
</window>
Run it in the terminal like you have been doing. Does it now exit properly or do you still have to press CTRL+C to get it to return to the script?

Regards,
Thunor
Hi Thunor

3 extra lines added as suggested - run in terminal - still fails to return when exit button is pressed having entered the wpa key and achieved a wifi connection.....

Thanks for your help - should we take it to PM to avoid cluttering up your thread?

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

thunor

#634 Post by thunor »

No PM, here is fine.

I took the plunge and ran the script on Slacko 5.3.3 even though it looks like I'm missing everything it's expecting to find :D I just wanted to test the buttons and anything else that might be going on in there.

Before we go any further can you add this line:

echo GTKDIALOG EXITED
at line 609 so that the code in that part of the file looks like this:

echo GTKDIALOG EXITED
Now, if you run Frisbee in the terminal, do you see " GTKDIALOG EXITED" after you've pressed Frisbee's exit button? What exactly are you seeing in the terminal? If you press Enter in there, what happens? Have you got a prompt? Can you run commands in there like ls?

Also, what is the full path of the Frisbee source that you are editing in Geany?

There is something wierd there, in the original unmodified Frisbee source at lines 280 and 418:

<input>for i in \$(seq 0 1 10000); do if ((i\%2==1)) ; then echo 100 ; else echo 99; fi; sleep 15; done </input>
They are part of progressbars that are being used to auto-refresh widgets and run programs except that they remain running in the background and the more you use Frisbee the more of them remain running (you can see them accumulating in htop).

You could try simply deleting the lines, try Frisbee, then put the lines back.

Regards,
Thunor

peebee

#635 Post by peebee »

thunor wrote:No PM, here is fine.

I took the plunge and ran the script on Slacko 5.3.3 even though it looks like I'm missing everything it's expecting to find :D I just wanted to test the buttons and anything else that might be going on in there.

Before we go any further can you add this line:

echo GTKDIALOG EXITED
at line 609 so that the code in that part of the file looks like this:

echo GTKDIALOG EXITED
Now, if you run Frisbee in the terminal, do you see " GTKDIALOG EXITED" after you've pressed Frisbee's exit button? What exactly are you seeing in the terminal? If you press Enter in there, what happens? Have you got a prompt? Can you run commands in there like ls?

Also, what is the full path of the Frisbee source that you are editing in Geany?

There is something wierd there, in the original unmodified Frisbee source at lines 280 and 418:

<input>for i in \$(seq 0 1 10000); do if ((i\%2==1)) ; then echo 100 ; else echo 99; fi; sleep 15; done </input>
They are part of progressbars that are being used to auto-refresh widgets and run programs except that they remain running in the background and the more you use Frisbee the more of them remain running (you can see them accumulating in htop).

You could try simply deleting the lines, try Frisbee, then put the lines back.

Regards,
Thunor
Hi Thunor

Tried deleting the strange lines - that stopped wifi signals being detected - tried altering the parameters instead - it worked fine with the count set down to 100 and the delay set to 5.

Those lines are in the current working V2 Frisbee BTW.

the full path is /usr/local/bin/Frisbee - as given by which Frisbee

the echo you have suggested is the same as the debug echo put in by rerwin - the echo does not appear in the /tmp file - nothing appears from your terminal echo either.

In the terminal I see nothing except a red underline cursor until I press cntrl-c when the prompt reappears....anything I type is echoed but no commands are recognised until I get the # prompt back with cntrl-c.

Thanks again
peebee

thunor

#636 Post by thunor »

peebee wrote:Tried deleting the strange lines - that stopped wifi signals being detected - tried altering the parameters instead - it worked fine with the count set down to 100 and the delay set to 5.
Yeah, but I only wanted to know if deleting the lines stops gtkdialog3 from not exiting because these lines are processes being started by gtkdialog in another thread and they're being left running because there's no exit condition in the code.

1. Delete the lines in Geany
2. Open a terminal and type Frisbee
3. Click the "Configure Network Interfaces" tab
4. Click the Exit button
5. Type ls in the terminal and press Enter
6. Do you get a directory listing or does the cursor simply go to the next line?
peebee wrote:Those lines are in the current working V2 Frisbee BTW.
Then everyone who uses Frisbee will accumulate processes dumping " sh: line 0: echo: write error: Broken pipe" to stdout every 15s.
peebee wrote:the echo you have suggested is the same as the debug echo put in by rerwin - the echo does not appear in the /tmp file - nothing appears from your terminal echo either.
No it's not the same. rerwin's messages go to /tmp/udevtrace-modem.log, mine goes to stdout i.e. the same terminal window that you are running frisbee in.
peebee wrote:In the terminal I see nothing except a red underline cursor until I press cntrl-c when the prompt reappears....anything I type is echoed but no commands are recognised until I get the # prompt back with cntrl-c.
Ok, great, so can you try the first item in this post and let me know what happens please.

Regards,
Thunor

peebee

#637 Post by peebee »

thunor wrote:1. Delete the lines in Geany
2. Open a terminal and type Frisbee
3. Click the "Configure Network Interfaces" tab
4. Click the Exit button
5. Type ls in the terminal and press Enter
6. Do you get a directory listing or does the cursor simply go to the next line?

Ok, great, so can you try the first item in this post and let me know what happens please.
Regards,
Thunor
6 = directory listing - pressing exit after configure network interfaces exits Frisbee and takes you back to the # prompt in the terminal.

P.

thunor

#638 Post by thunor »

peebee wrote:6 = directory listing - pressing exit after configure network interfaces exits Frisbee and takes you back to the # prompt in the terminal.

P.
OK, now put the lines back and do the exact same test so that we can establish that it is definitely those input lines.

peebee

#639 Post by peebee »

thunor wrote:
peebee wrote:6 = directory listing - pressing exit after configure network interfaces exits Frisbee and takes you back to the # prompt in the terminal.

P.
Great :D Ok, so then the developers of Frisbee need to look into those progressbar input lines and make sure that they have an exit condition and are not simply left to run for 10000/2 * 15 seconds.

The simplest thing would be to use gtkdialog4 with a timer widget with an interval of 15s, and the timer dies with the application.

I guess rerwin is monitoring this thread.

Cheers,
Thunor
Hi Thunor

Hope we've not got a comms problem....

The exit button that works is on the configure network interfaces screen - the exit button on the main-dialog screen still hangs.

I actually ran Frisbee a second time after doing the above test - a list of wifi signals was displayed and I configured my wpa as usual but when I clicked exit the terminal hung.

Sorry if I didn't explain this properly....

Cheers
peebee

thunor

#640 Post by thunor »

peebee wrote:...the exit button on the main-dialog screen still hangs.
I don't know what you mean by this.

I downloaded the Frisbee.gz package posted by rerwin and that is Frisbee, one file, with "Frisbee" in the window title bar and two tabs, "Configure Wireless Networks" and "Configure Network Interfaces".

Can you give me a screenshot of the "main-dialog" please.