Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 00:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
64-bit Precise Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
hjb981

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2012, 18:44    Post subject:  64-bit Precise Puppy
Subject description: Could it be done, how easy, are there any obstacles to do it?

I would like to use the newly released Precise Puppy, with its compatibility with the Ubuntu repositories. One of the things I would like to do is to run Rawtherapee (RT) with large raw files, which requires a lot of memory. They recommend using a 64-bit OS on the RT website because of memory handling. I would prefer to run Puppy because of its trimmed-down size, but I would need it to be 64 bit.

My question is: Now that all the work has been done to make a Puppy out of the latest Ubuntu, could the process be repeated with the 64-bit Ubuntu as the "input" instead of the 32-bit version? Or would it have to be redone (and in that case I would really be grateful for an explanation, since I am no expert at this)?

I am aware that there is PAE in the 32-bit Precise Puppy, but I do not think that PAE solves the memory issues in 32-bit systems for Rawtherapee (although I may be wrong, in which case please correct).

I know that there is a 64-bit Puppy called Fatdog, but I cannot find information on what repositories it is compatible with, and it seems to be less common and less well documented. I would prefer to just use the "main" Puppy in 64-bit version.

Please bear with me although I may ask very basic questions. I would really appreciate any explanations that would help to clarify the above.

/Jonas
p310don

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2012, 19:12    Post subject:  

Hi Jonas,

PAE can address 4gig of memory at a time. You'd be best to give it a go, as I doubt you'd ever actually need more than that using Rawtherapee, or just about any other program.

To make a 64bit version of Precise would be a ground up build, not just something simple. Every part of it would have to be re-compiled in a 64bit environment, and tested, which is month's worth of work.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: