Upup Precise 54X7 using latest woof at time

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#21 Post by pemasu »

Thanks James C for testing hardware.

JIM Invoice Manager pet has been uploaded to the repo.

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/JIM?content=149288

Homepage link can be found from above url. You will need spanish skills or google translator though. I can recommend Chromium sfs for translation.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#22 Post by BarryK »

rcrsn51 wrote:
LateAdopter wrote:It does not install a menu entry or a .desktop file, but does run by clicking on vlc in /usr/bin
I'm seeing a similar problem with the Graphic menu. PETS like this one that are classified as X-GraphicUtility are no longer added to the menu. But pre-installed apps that use that category are working.

I believe that it is a woof issue because it also showed up in the final version of Precise.
Fixed:
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00031
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

mikeslr

Gimp problems solved

#23 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks pemasu:

The instructions you gave here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 317#665317 almost worked. When they didn't and I tried again to start the gimp sfs via the terminal and I realized that the system was looking for the file in /usr/var/lib/dbus. So I copied the file there and it worked. I guess the following should be typed into the terminal on my system:

Code:
dbus-uuidgen > usr/var/lib/dbus/machine-id

Thanks again,

mikeslr

pemasu

#24 Post by pemasu »

Sorry Mikeslr. I read the error message too quickly and my mind translated the file location to its normal location. I wonder why your installation tries to search it in /usr. That is not normal location.

Anyway...good that it works. But if it is system failure for other people, the real solution should be found.

The normal location is /var/lib/dbus/machine-id

Thank you of the feedback.

OscarTalks

#25 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello pemasu and mikeslr,

Could this be connected?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=70

Program (Deadbeef) is calling for a file at the wrong location because of an extra /usr on the front of the path.

Only happening in the most recent Puppies.
Oscar in England

pemasu

#26 Post by pemasu »

OscarTalks. I dont think so. I think that deadbeef just does not find the icon. I believe that source code has default fall back like $prefix/deadbeef.png and since you probably had --prefix=/usr....it searches from /usr

Try this in console and the icon might be found:
gtk-update-icon-cache -qf /usr/share/icons/hicolor

EDIT. I was right about $prefix thing:

Code: Select all

if (!gtk_icon_theme_has_icon(theme, icon_name)) {
        char iconpath[1024];
        snprintf (iconpath, sizeof (iconpath), "%s/deadbeef.png", deadbeef->get_prefix ());
        trayicon = gtk_status_icon_new_from_file(iconpath);
    }
    else {
        // try loading icon from $prefix/deadbeef.png (for static build)
        char iconpath[1024];
        snprintf (iconpath, sizeof (iconpath), "%s/deadbeef.png", deadbeef->get_prefix ());
        gtk_window_set_icon_from_file (GTK_WINDOW (mainwin), iconpath, NULL);
    }

sszindian

CD access

#27 Post by sszindian »

Is this a 'NEW' way future puppy's are going to operate?

Dpup Precise (and the new Slacko-5.3.7.7.4g-firefox) are NOT totally loading and running from 'RAM.'

They now seem to require constant CD access to operate!

Now... I'm running on an old IBM T22 Thinkpad with 250MB ram, 20GB HDD.

Once Dpup Precise (and Slacko-5.3.7.7.4g-firefox) are loaded (which they both do without a problem) on this old Thinkpad... I no longer can take out the program CD and use any CD's with data, graphics etc., that may be required for certain projects. Also, if you get caught up in a youtube video it takes up to 5-minutes or more of access to the CD program to get cleared up again... if it clears up at all.

This is NOT a new-kernel issue as I have run Kernel-3.6.+ linux distro's on this old box without any problems.

Users with old computers that run like I do (No HDD or Frugal install... strictly from the CD with a savefile on the HDD) might want to investigate their particular setup before jumping in head over heels???

Can anyone else confirm my findings or is this an isolated situation because of my T22?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rcrsn51

#28 Post by rcrsn51 »

There's no question that as Puppy gets bigger, its memory requirements increase with it. The Lupu 528 SFS file is 125 MB and the latest Slacko is 151 MB. Maybe we just went over the tipping point for 256 MB of RAM.

Have you tried copying the SFS file onto the hard drive along with the save file? Then Puppy would use it instead of off the CD and maybe switch into "pfix=nocopy" mode.

don570

#29 Post by don570 »

To Pemasu...

You should delete any right click items that mention nicoedit

pemasu

#30 Post by pemasu »

Don570. I have done that already. I did some "clean up" to the right click stuff. And I also added some missing stuff.

With woof using recent commits, the pet installation now updates menu. Scanner_share was my test pet.

rcrsn51

#31 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Have you tried copying the SFS file onto the hard drive along with the save file? Then Puppy would use it instead of off the CD and maybe switch into "pfix=nocopy" mode.
I tested this in Slacko 5337 with the following results:

1. You have a standard frugal install. The default behaviour is "pfix=nocopy". So you have lots of free memory.

2. You move the SFS file onto the hard drive but boot off the CD. Puppy loads the hard drive version but still "copies to RAM". So you lose about 300 MB of memory.

3. You boot off the CD with "puppy pfix=nocopy". This works and you get the free memory back.

OscarTalks

#32 Post by OscarTalks »

Thanks Pemasu, you are brilliant.

Running the gtk-update-icon-cache command does work, but how do I make a .pet which I (or others) could install without needing to run that command on these Puppy versions?
Oscar in England

James C

Re: CD access

#33 Post by James C »

sszindian wrote:Is this a 'NEW' way future puppy's are going to operate?

Dpup Precise (and the new Slacko-5.3.7.7.4g-firefox) are NOT totally loading and running from 'RAM.'

They now seem to require constant CD access to operate!
Back during Lucid development Playdayz put in a lot of effort to allow it to load into ram on a pc with 256 mb ram (puppy pfix=ram)......the main Lucid sfs size was about at the limit for a box with those specs. It seems that a basic rule of thumb is to double the size of the main sfs to find the amount of ram needed to allow removing the boot cd.

pemasu

#34 Post by pemasu »

OscarTalks. Create script named pinstall.sh and place it to the deadbeef folder which you are going to dir2pet.

The content is this in pinstall.sh:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
gtk-update-icon-cache -qf /usr/share/icons/hicolor
When the pet is installed, that script will be run and the tray icon pops up when you launch deadbeef.

Done.

sszindian

Dpup Precise

#35 Post by sszindian »

rcrsn51 & James C

Thanks for the comeback... I understand your statements and fix's however... I test for things of this nature so possibly the dev's can find a 'way-to or solution' somewhere in the coding to maintain the traditional puppy features?

I doubt that NEW users will want to go through the trouble of fixing it themselves therefore making these versions only useful to puppy users with some knowledge and not a hit with the general linux user. There are plenty of other linux distro's that already accomplish where puppy is heading without the hassle... Mint, the Ubuntu's, Peppermint, even the latest Opensuse and Fedora will work on my T22 as a 'live CD' (but with disk access needed), and a whole bunch of others I have used and tested.

I believe the puppy that was once unique in itself will be no longer unless... the dev's will make a true 'bare-bones' program that will still load into ram and let the user 'add or put-in' what he or she wants later... fact of the matter is, 80% of current puppy users could get by very well with simply a 'Snappy Puppy with Only A Browser' almost everything else one needs is available to use someplace online now?

Anyway, that's my thought on it!

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#36 Post by pemasu »

I an not the guy for barebones. I want some user friendly stuff.
I will include also puppy apps which puppy developers create. I have done so always. Not gonna change that.
Best presentation is that you include nice puppy apps to the build. Sometimes they vanish also as quickly, lol.

Some other will be needed to shave off size than me. Sorry.

Puppy is my main distro. It will need flesh around it`s bones...for my usage. This Upup Precise will be though the version where I update build with recent woof updates and I am not soon gonna change it so bloated as Dpup Exprimo. But usually my builds grow with each update than goes down.

I dont do distro hopping so comparing what other linux distros do is not fruitful for me. I will read with interest but if Puppy fulfills my distro needs, I dont test other distros. Okay....I installed one other distro to my son`s comp and configured it but it was not for me....

rcrsn51

#37 Post by rcrsn51 »

I think that the standard rule of thumb still applies - older hardware requires older Puppies.

Users with only 256MB and no hard drive can't reasonably go much past Lupu.

Just like users with only 128 MB and no hard drive probably couldn't run Lupu effectively.

Billtoo

Re: Dpup Precise

#38 Post by Billtoo »

sszindian wrote: I believe the puppy that was once unique in itself will be no longer unless... the dev's will make a true 'bare-bones' program that will still load into ram and let the user 'add or put-in' what he or she wants later... fact of the matter is, 80% of current puppy users could get by very well with simply a 'Snappy Puppy with Only A Browser' almost everything else one needs is available to use someplace online now?

Anyway, that's my thought on it!

>>>---Indian------>
Have you seen lina-lite? It could be what you're looking for.

sszindian

LinaLite

#39 Post by sszindian »

'Thanks Billtoo' for reminding me!!!

I downloaded Lina Lite 3 or 4 days ago but completely forgot about it being involved with Dpup Precise and the new Slacko.

I will have to say, that is the way new puppy's should be put together... super nice program and very very fast, runs like a charm on this old IBM T22 Thinkpad. I'll know better once I have a chance to really test it out! Posting from it now.

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#40 Post by pemasu »

Deadbeef-0.5.6 uploaded to the repo.
Atm woofing latest woof release after packages categories recent updates.