Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 23:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to run a .desktop file from Firefox?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
hollywood

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 14:05    Post subject:  How to run a .desktop file from Firefox?  

So I am testing a remote access program called "Bomgar". It works over the internet by having the client access the Bomgar website and enter a code. It is made for Windows, Mac, and Linux of which my company uses all. My issue is that on Puppy, I can make the software work but not in a way that is friendly to the end user(client)......

Basically, the end user enters the code I give them which then downloads a file from the Bomgar site. The file is a .desktop file which contains script to install the Bomgar client and connect the user to me so I can remotely control them. What happens is Firefox asks if I want to "save" or "open with". If I save it, and then open a terminal and 'sh bomgar.deskop' from the saved location it will install and run the client and I can remotely control the computer. However I want to set up the client's machine to run the file directly from firefox by selecting "open" rather than asking them to save and then run it from a terminal. Does anyone know how I can do this? I have attempted to save the file and change the properties to get it to launch the installer with no luck. Basically I believe I just need the .desktop file to be executable. I have changed it's properties to be executable but still nothing happens when I click the .desktop file, and ultimately I want Firefox to execute the file when the user selects to "open" it.

So first thing I need to figure out is how to run the saved file simply by clicking on it. If I can get that to work, then I need to tell Firefox how to run it by default. This isn't a typical .desktop file that refers to a program. This is a .desktop file that when ran, installs software and launches it. Like I said, running the file from a terminal with the 'sh' command works perfectly.....The install runs and the remote session works. Thanks for any help you can provide.
muggins

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 22:40    Post subject:  

Hello Hollywood,

I can't help with your ffox question, but thought that, perhaps, makeself may be relevant for creating a self-installing archive. (If not, just ignore.)

cheers
aragon

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2012, 06:20    Post subject:  

rox (the filemanager used in most puppy-versions) is able to run *.desktop files.

aragon

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: