How to run puppy from a CF card?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
IAN442

How to run puppy from a CF card?

#1 Post by IAN442 »

can this be done and how is it done ?

I have several compaq ia-1 appliances and midori linux is SUPPOSED to work but i can't get it to boot right from the two places its found on the web anymore.

I pulled my hair out for weeks trying to get DSL onto a flash card and it just wasn't happening.

all this thing is going to be for is surfing the web, streaming audio, and maybe chatting online.

k4rjj

CF Card install of Puppy Linux

#2 Post by k4rjj »

Help me also! I bought a HX-2108 dual CF card to IDE adaptor from eBay and I can't get the thing to work at all. I also have a hacked IA-1 device I want to get working. I did the prescribed hack to it and I belive I'm to the stage that I need a bootable CF card.

I've used Puppy a couple of times to restore files on a laptop thats given me headaches and I think it's the thing to use for these devices. If anyone can give me the missing piece of the puzzle I will post a web page on how to do the whole thing.

I am using a new known good CF card 64MB

Thanks!
Ronny in Atlanta

can8v

Re: CF Card install of Puppy Linux

#3 Post by can8v »

k4rjj wrote:Help me also! I bought a HX-2108 dual CF card to IDE adaptor from eBay and I can't get the thing to work at all. I also have a hacked IA-1 device I want to get working. I did the prescribed hack to it and I belive I'm to the stage that I need a bootable CF card.

I've used Puppy a couple of times to restore files on a laptop thats given me headaches and I think it's the thing to use for these devices. If anyone can give me the missing piece of the puzzle I will post a web page on how to do the whole thing.

I am using a new known good CF card 64MB

Thanks!
Ronny in Atlanta
Alright I don't remember the address, but the QEMU Puppy site has instructions for making the compact flash card or any USB flash drive bootable I did it when I put QEMU on a CF card, and it worked fine. You won't be able to use QEMU on a 64MB card though. The process should be the same to make any of the smaller pups (ie. Mean Puppy, Simple Pup, One bone, etc...) bootable on a CF card.
Good Luck
-Jason

peppyy

#4 Post by peppyy »

I had a 256mb cf card with an ide adapter that I was running 1.0.4 on for a long time. I simply installed it in place of the hd, booted to the live cd, used cfdisk to format it and make it bootable and installed puppy as if it were hda1. Maybe that was too simple but it worked fine for me untill my daughter needed a card for her camera and I formated it and sent it off to her in CA.

I haven't picked up another one yet but I can tell you it was a silent machine running off that card. I would suggest a minimum of 128mb and at least a 2x card. If I can ever afford it I am going for a 512mb 40x and set up my other 600e with 2.0.2. :D
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

raffy

Universal Installer

#5 Post by raffy »

Puppy 2.02's Universal Installer makes it a breeze. You have 2 choices:

1. USB CF Flash Drive, later move CF to IDE adaptor
- if you attach the CF to a USB adaptor

2. IDE Flash Drive (CF card in IDE adaptor)
- if you attach the CF to an IDE adaptor

Just accept most of the default choices. At some point the script will make it bootable with syslinux.

Last detail: Make sure it is formatted as FAT16. You can do it in Puppy in console: mkdosfs /dev/xxx, where xxx is the name of your CF device as seen by MUT in Puppy.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

can8v

Re: Universal Installer

#6 Post by can8v »

raffy wrote:Puppy 2.02's Universal Installer makes it a breeze. You have 2 choices:

1. USB CF Flash Drive, later move CF to IDE adaptor
- if you attach the CF to a USB adaptor

2. IDE Flash Drive (CF card in IDE adaptor)
- if you attach the CF to an IDE adaptor

Just accept most of the default choices. At some point the script will make it bootable with syslinux.

Last detail: Make sure it is formatted as FAT16. You can do it in Puppy in console: mkdosfs /dev/xxx, where xxx is the name of your CF device as seen by MUT in Puppy.
Raffy,
I am very curious if this could be done from QEMU puppy 202 running in Windows. I have a windoze box with a strange bios that will not boot from CD or USB. I run QEMU Puppy on it sometimes, but that is horribly slow, which negates the reason why I love Puppy so. I looked at doing a hard drive install from QEMU, but since it was running in windoze it could only see the drives that windows could see. It did see the CF which was VFAT, but I would like it to be installed on an ext2 partition, could this work?

raffy

Vfat is fine

#7 Post by raffy »

Vfat is fine (FAT16 it must be, not FAT32), and I guess ext2 format for CF still has issues with it.

Anyway, the pup_save.3fs that will be created by Puppy in CF (when you finally use it to boot Puppy) will be a Linux filesystem.

And I guess most cards that you buy are formatted as FAT16. Multiple partitions are problematic, so just be content installing to /dev/sda1 (CF in USB adapter) or /dev/hdc1 (CF in IDE adapter) , whichever is applicable. [Note: a in sda1 and c in hdc1 are just example locations. The actual values will be different in your installation.]
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].