Precise Puppy 5.4.3

Please post any bugs you have found
OscarTalks

#61 Post by OscarTalks »

Not sure if this is a woof bug or how you would track it down, but it happens with Precise 5.4.1 and also in the latest Slacko betas but not in 5.3.3 or Wary 5.3 or Lupu so I wondered if it has crept in recently.

If I compile the latest or previous Deadbeef it builds OK but when I run it it calls for an icon at /usr/deadbeef.png which is a very strange place for it to be hoping to find an icon. The build process does not install one there.

Without it there is no icon in the tray or icon in the taskbar button or top left of the GUI. Obviously I can copy an icon over there but it seems wrong to have to do that.
Oscar in England

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

OscarTalks wrote:If I compile the latest or previous Deadbeef it builds OK but when I run it it calls for an icon at /usr/deadbeef.png which is a very strange place for it to be hoping to find an icon. The build process does not install one there.
I could not duplicate this situation, but here was my test:

1. I built Deadbeef in the lastest Slacko and made a PET.
2. When I installed the PET, it did not register in the menus.
3. I fixed that by running "fixmenus" and "jwm -restart".
4. However, the menu entry in Multimedia was labeled Prev! The icon was correct.

[Edit] This problem has been resolved.

5. Clicking it worked correctly, including the entry in the system tray.
it calls for an icon at /usr/deadbeef.png
Where are you seeing that message?
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#63 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello rcrsn51,

Thanks for responding to my post.

I do normally edit the .desktop file so it all displays in the menu fine. Maybe I am doing something wrong there but the same editing in the slightly earlier Puppies does not give this glitch.

The indication that it is looking for the icon file in the wrong location comes from running "deadbeef" in the terminal. After the lines about loading of the plugins I see:-

Code: Select all

(deadbeef:21543): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon from file '/usr/deadbeef.png':
Failed to open file '/usr/deadbeef.png': No such file or directory
connecting button tray signals
Oscar in England

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

OscarTalks wrote:I do normally edit the .desktop file so it all displays in the menu fine. Maybe I am doing something wrong there but the same editing in the slightly earlier Puppies does not give this glitch.
Post your current .desktop file.

pemasu

#65 Post by pemasu »

rcrsn51

#66 Post by rcrsn51 »

My test build was with "--prefix=/usr" and there were no problems with the icon. My problem was with the label in the menu entry.

pemasu

#67 Post by pemasu »

If I compile the latest or previous Deadbeef it builds OK but when I run it it calls for an icon at /usr/deadbeef.png which is a very strange place for it to be hoping to find an icon. The build process does not install one there.

Without it there is no icon in the tray or icon in the taskbar button or top left of the GUI. Obviously I can copy an icon over there but it seems wrong to have to do that.
I replied to this problem. And possible solution.

OscarTalks

#68 Post by OscarTalks »

@ rcrsn51

Looking at the .desktop file as it gets produced by the complie I see that there is a load of clutter at the bottom about desktop shortcuts for Unity which has several "Name=" lines in it, one of which is "Name=Prev" so I guess the menu is picking up that line instead of "Name=DeaDBeef" which is at the top.

I just delete all those lines anyway.

Do we need the long "MimeType=...." line?

I just use:-

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=DeaDBeef
GenericName=Audio Player
Comment=deadbeef
Exec=deadbeef
Categories=AudioVideo
Terminal=false
Type=application
Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/deadbeef.png

Should I be adding something else?

The issue of installing .pets not running fixmenus is discussed elsewhere I think. Not sure why the icon path thing is working for you, looks like your icon cache is updated somehow or you are doing something which I am overlooking.
Oscar in England

don570

#69 Post by don570 »

I don't know if it makes any difference but Barry k has made a
change in petget application. He uses 'jwm -reload' to reform the menu.

JWMVER=`jwm -v|head -n1|cut -d ' ' -f2|cut -d - -f2` 
 if vercmp $JWMVER lt 574;then # change from 547 to 574. 
   jwm -restart 
  else 
   jwm -reload 
  fi 

pemasu

#70 Post by pemasu »

I do not think so.
# jwm --version
JWM vsvn-574 by Joe Wingbermuehle

This version of JWM supports -reload which means that there is no more flickering when you update menu.

I think that recent woof fixes many DOTdesktop problems. It did for me. I upload soon new woof build.
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#71 Post by rcrsn51 »

OscarTalks wrote:one of which is "Name=Prev" so I guess the menu is picking up that line instead of "Name=DeaDBeef" which is at the top.
That solves that problem! Thanks.

However, I still cannot reproduce your problem with the icons. I have a vanilla build of deadbeef-0.5.6 in a frugal install of Slacko 5337. I can either use the original "Icon=deadbeef.png" or your full "Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/deadbeef.png". Either way, it works correctly.

I tried to reproduce your problem in Precise 541, but I couldn't get deadbeef to compile. There were problems with "ConvertUTF" that I couldn't resolve.

pemasu

#72 Post by pemasu »

There were problems with "ConvertUTF" that I couldn't resolve.
Check ./configure verbose reports. I suppose you see that you have something like check for liconv.......no

It means you need iconv.h development header and maybe some others, like libcharset.h. I compiled libiconv in dpup for deadbeef compiling.

OscarTalks could tell how he did it.

OscarTalks

#73 Post by OscarTalks »

I compiled Deadbeef 0.5.6 twice just now in Slacko 5377 but running live with fresh save-file in USB flash drive formatted ext2 and I never get the icon found unless I run the gtk icon cache update. I'm pretty sure it is something that happens within the build of the binary and not anything to do with the .desktop file.

(EDIT - Just experimenting with configure options and flags and looks like I may have it working now)

In Precise 541 (as with Lupu) I have to compile and install libiconv first otherwise Deadbeef won't compile (though I think the configure script runs to completion and the error only shows up during make).

Unfortunately there is still one small problem (in Precise) which is that the mms plugin shows a symbol error or something which relates to libiconv and I haven't been able to solve that. Pity because that is one plugin which I would like to have working (for wma streams). There are others which I don't think I would ever need.
Last edited by OscarTalks on Mon 19 Nov 2012, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

pemasu

#74 Post by pemasu »

Load devx sfs, copy to the safe /usr/include/iconv.h
It has been provided by glic_dev
Install your libiconv stuff. Copy back that iconv.h over the one installed by your libiconv package.

It might even work. No symbol errors at least when you use the headers from precise pangolin iconv.h.

rcrsn51

#75 Post by rcrsn51 »

OscarTalks wrote:I compiled Deadbeef 0.5.6 twice just now in Slacko 5377 but running live with fresh save-file in USB flash drive formatted ext2 and I never get the icon found unless I run the gtk icon cache update. I'm pretty sure it is something that happens within the build of the binary and not anything to do with the .desktop file.
That's not my experience.

1. I finally built deadbeef in Precise. Initially, while in PUPMODE=5, I saw the icons problem. But once I made a savefile and ran fixmenus, it went away. Everything was correct.

[Edit] I went back to Precise with the devx unloaded. It also worked correctly in PUPMODE=5 after fixmenus.

2. I then ran Slacko 5377 in PUPMODE=5 and loaded the Precise deadbeef PET. The icons were fine, as was the menu after I fixed it. It was still correct after I made a savefile.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.

cowboy

ppm error in precise

#76 Post by cowboy »

On a fresh usb install of Precise 5.4.1 (made in Slacko by mounting Precise ISO, copying files to USB, and then using Grub4Dos), I am unable to install files from the PPM. I was attempting to install firefox 16 from either ubuntu main, or from puppy precise repos. Seems I recall seeing this earlier in the thread, but I'm unable to locate a fix.

EDIT: reinstalled on USB drive, and can now download firefox from precise-puppy repos. However, still getting attached error message from ubuntu main repos: (posted from within Precise 5.4.1)
Attachments
capture17497.png
(122.47 KiB) Downloaded 3347 times
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

OscarTalks

#77 Post by OscarTalks »

I am now able to produce .pets of Deadbeef with icons that work, but because I have been experimenting with different things I am not sure what resolves the issue. At first I thought it was the flags but it may be that I have to run the gtk-update-icon-cache command before doing the compile and then it builds correctly. Is this possible?

In Precise I still get the undefined symbol: libiconv error in terminal for the mms.so plugin though.

The iconv.h file in the devx is much smaller than the one that the libiconv package installs and if I substitute it back I get the ConvertUTF error and Deadbeef won't compile. Maybe I didn't fully understand your suggestion.
Oscar in England

pemasu

#78 Post by pemasu »

OscarTalks. I test compiled Deadbeef now. My idea works, but...first do ./configure....with your options...then swap the iconv.h back to the original before you compile with make. No symbol lookout error and mms-ffmpeg combo plays wma.

Worked for me. You need ffmpeg module to be enabled to use mms with wma.

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-ffmpeg

I just dont understand what provides libiconv like stuff for ubuntu because ubuntu does not provide it and ubuntu compile dependencies list for deadbeef does not give any straight answer. I wonder if woof packages-templates strip something essential out, or otherwise there must be similar package somewhere, I just dont get grasp of it.

pemasu

#79 Post by pemasu »

Heh. That swapping of iconv.h also removed the external libiconv dependency. So....as side-effect you dont have to install almost 2 Mb of unneeded stuff.

don570

#80 Post by don570 »

I compiled mhwaveedit in precise so that it will recognize the
LADSPA plugins. The trick was to make sure that the
LADSPA header file (ladspa.h) was present during compiling.

LADSPA plugins HERE

It also works in latest Slacko

./configure --with-default-mixerapp=retrovol --with-default-ladspa-path=/usr/lib/ladspa --prefix=/usr
make
make install DESTDIR=/root/mhwaveedit-1.4.21

Attachments
mhwaveedit_NLS-1.4.21.pet
foreign locales
(183.4 KiB) Downloaded 867 times
Last edited by don570 on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.