Congratulations to Puppy 5.4!

Promote Puppy !
Luxeon

Congratulations to Puppy 5.4!

#1 Post by Luxeon »

I have been tinkering with dozens of Linux distros, and all of them had difficulty with flash video. No matter what distro, drivers, computer, settings--ALL of them had video that would hesitate, stutter and just not play well.

Puppy 5.4 is the first and only distro that has played every video smoothly, right out of the box!

I have always loved Puppy. Though it is different (a bit of a learning curve for sure), and there are occasional difficulties (most often due to a lack of user knowledge), I have had a frugal install and a live DVD setup over the last couple of years.
The video issue was the deal breaker for me. Even my old Dell (1gb ram!) with Windows 7 handled online videos fine.

I'm not sure what changed, but thank you for the excellent work!

Bob

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

Which version of 5.4?
Are you talking about Precise 5.4 or Slacko 5.4?
I ask because I also was having video playback problems on YouTube with studdering and even videos stopping.
And this is on a PC with 3 gigs of RAM, a dual core AMD processor and using a frugal install with a swap partition.
The Puppy version I was using when I had the problems was Slacko 5.3.3.

slenkar

#3 Post by slenkar »

i noticed that precuse 5.4 is the only linux that doesnt crash my intel graphics card

sunburnt

#4 Post by sunburnt »

My experience is what I think you`re experiencing.
Different Puppies and different PCs / hardware give very different results!

Puppy005 ( PolarPup ) didn`t do Flash on one PC, but works great on another.

Puppy5.4 ( PrecisePup ) is a real bag of bones on any PC, lots of weird failures.
Same stuff reported here on the forum; black screen, video won`t set, etc.

I have lots of hope for the Ubuntu based Puppies, I`ll have to try Slacko also.