'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

Re: 'lina-lite - version 002

#81 Post by Billtoo »

sheldonisaac wrote: How can I get a system description like you did?
Thanks,
Sheldon
Hi Sheldon,
I installed hardinfo and did a report with it and then copied and pasted the info into a txt file in geany text editor.
Both hardinfo and geany are available in the puppy package manager.
You can open the hardinfo report with firefox or some other web browser.
You can then paste the geany file into your message on the forum.
Attachments
ppm.jpg
(123.21 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
ppm2.jpg
(116.92 KiB) Downloaded 745 times

sheldonisaac

#82 Post by sheldonisaac »

Billtoo wrote:I did a manual frugal install and installed the proprietary nvidia
driver.
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 3374MB (160MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Thu 22 Nov 2012 07:39:10 AM EST
Display
Resolution 2880x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 310.19
Direct Rendering Yes
It's working great.
Thanks for your help, Billtoo.

Here's mine, FWIW:
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.13GHz
Memory 2065MB (157MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Thu 22 Nov 2012 02:19:35 PM EST
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

mavrothal

#83 Post by mavrothal »

Noticed that lina-lite-002 has the caroline-003 DISTRO_SPECS. I was wondering if the wrong version and sfs ID will generate issues in updates as well as full installs.

BTW, nice going!
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Marv

#84 Post by Marv »

mavrothal wrote:Noticed that lina-lite-002 has the caroline-003 DISTRO_SPECS. I was wondering if the wrong version and sfs ID will generate issues in updates as well as full installs.

BTW, nice going!
Indeed, it upsets the custom builder. No problem with Adrive, just rename 003 to 002, but then looks for 003 files in the iso directory.
Main goal was an adrive with my maximal apps, and that went without a hitch. My Fat adrive is 33MB now.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

#85 Post by elroy »

mavrothal wrote:Noticed that lina-lite-002 has the caroline-003 DISTRO_SPECS. I was wondering if the wrong version and sfs ID will generate issues in updates as well as full installs.
EDIT: Thanks for catching that mavrothal. Thought I had it fixed, but caught something else I missed.

elroy

#86 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:

BTW, nice going!
Indeed, it upsets the custom builder. No problem with Adrive, just rename 003 to 002, but then looks for 003 files in the iso directory.
Main goal was an adrive with my maximal apps, and that went without a hitch. My Fat adrive is 33MB now.
Fixed ISO & .delta files are on the server. This should correct the version error in the DISTRO_SPECS.

rg66

#87 Post by rg66 »

Can someone please post the fixed DISTRO_SPECS file?

TIA
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Marv

#88 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:Can someone please post the fixed DISTRO_SPECS file?

TIA
Here tis... Two files are attached. One from /root/.packages. and one from /etc.

edited: to reflect corrected file in /etc
Attachments
DISTRO_SPECS.gz
fixed DISTRO_SPECS file linalite-002 (from /etc)
(566 Bytes) Downloaded 442 times
DISTRO_SPECS.gz
fixed DISTRO_SPECS file linalite-002 (from /root/.packages)
(316 Bytes) Downloaded 462 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

#89 Post by elroy »

The file Marv provided should work for creating an adrive from a setup with a savefile in place.

To create an custom ISO from the custom-builder (with or without a savefile in place) or a new adrive from a fresh setup without a savefile, you would need the fixed ISO/delta. Or you could manually do the fixes without downloading the ISO/delta by doing the following.

1) From your installation directory, right-click the puppy_lina_002.sfs and extract to directory. Enter the directory. Use the file Marv provided and replace the /root/.packages/DISTRO_SPECS file.

2) Use the DISTRO_SPECS I've attached and replace the file in /etc. This file has the same name as the one Marv provided, but is actually a bit different. Back out of the directory. Right-click the puppy_lina_002 folder and choose Convert to Sfs Package. This will take a long time to convert, so be patient.

3) From your installation directory, right-click the initrd.gz file and choose the Open with Other Application option. On the bottom of the dialog click on Use a custom command. Enter edit-initrd.sh. Follow the directions of the dialogs that pop up. It'll create a directory that you can edit in /root. Replace the DISTRO_SPECS in this folder with the one I've attached. When you're finished, go to your installation directory and left-click the initrd.gz file. It'll pop up a couple dialogs asking if you want to save your changes, which you do.
Attachments
DISTRO_SPECS.gz
For the /etc and /initrd - differs from the DISTRO_SPECS found in /root/.packages
(566 Bytes) Downloaded 455 times

Billtoo

'lina-lite - version 002

#90 Post by Billtoo »

I started with a frugal install of the fixed 002.iso.
I tried the custom builder for the first time, created an iso and did
a frugal install of that iso on another pc.
All of the pets that I added were there but the ones that I had added
with ppm weren't, I've added them back plus installed the proprietary
nvidia driver etc.
Suspend works on this pc where it didn't on my original 002 frugal
install on the other pc.
The iso grew to 236.5 mb

EDIT:I used the following pets:
a52dec-0.7.4-i686.pet
a52dec_DEV-0.7.4-i686.pet
ffmpeg-1.0-i686.pet
ffmpeg_DEV-1.0-i686.pet
kernel_headers-3.2.13-c.pet
libgcrypt-1.5.0-i686.pet
libgcrypt_DEV-1.5.0-i686.pet
libgpg-error-1.10-i686.pet
libgpg-error_DEV-1.10-i686.pet
linux_headers_DEV-3.2.8-ski.pet
ltris-1.0.18-i686.pet
mplayer-export-2012-11-22-i686.pet
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2-i686.pet
qt-everywhere-opensource-src_DEV-4.8.2-i686.pet
SDL-1.2.15-i686.pet
SDL_DEV-1.2.15-i686.pet
SDL_mixer-1.2.12-i686.pet
SDL_mixer_DEV-1.2.12-i686.pet
vlc-2.0.4-i686.pet
wavpack-4.60.1-i686.pet
wavpack_DEV-4.60.1-i686.pet
x264-snapshot-20121113-2245-i686.pet
x264-snapshot_DEV-20121113-2245-i686.pet
xine-lib-1.2.2-i686.pet
xine-lib_DEV-1.2.2-i686.pet
xine-ui-0.99.7-i686.pet
geany-1.22-i686.pet
geany_DEV-1.22-i686.pet
links-2.7-i686.pet
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(60.58 KiB) Downloaded 533 times

elroy

#91 Post by elroy »

Billtoo wrote:I started with a frugal install of the fixed 002.iso.
I tried the custom builder for the first time, created an iso and did
a frugal install of that iso on another pc.
All of the pets that I added were there but the ones that I had added
with ppm weren't, I've added them back plus installed the proprietary
nvidia driver etc.
Suspend works on this pc where it didn't on my original 002 frugal
install on the other pc.
The iso grew to 236.5 mb

EDIT:I used the following pets:
a52dec-0.7.4-i686.pet
a52dec_DEV-0.7.4-i686.pet
ffmpeg-1.0-i686.pet
ffmpeg_DEV-1.0-i686.pet
kernel_headers-3.2.13-c.pet
libgcrypt-1.5.0-i686.pet
libgcrypt_DEV-1.5.0-i686.pet
libgpg-error-1.10-i686.pet
libgpg-error_DEV-1.10-i686.pet
linux_headers_DEV-3.2.8-ski.pet
ltris-1.0.18-i686.pet
mplayer-export-2012-11-22-i686.pet
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2-i686.pet
qt-everywhere-opensource-src_DEV-4.8.2-i686.pet
SDL-1.2.15-i686.pet
SDL_DEV-1.2.15-i686.pet
SDL_mixer-1.2.12-i686.pet
SDL_mixer_DEV-1.2.12-i686.pet
vlc-2.0.4-i686.pet
wavpack-4.60.1-i686.pet
wavpack_DEV-4.60.1-i686.pet
x264-snapshot-20121113-2245-i686.pet
x264-snapshot_DEV-20121113-2245-i686.pet
xine-lib-1.2.2-i686.pet
xine-lib_DEV-1.2.2-i686.pet
xine-ui-0.99.7-i686.pet
geany-1.22-i686.pet
geany_DEV-1.22-i686.pet
links-2.7-i686.pet
When using the custom-builder to build either a new adrive and/or a custom ISO file, the custom-builder will not include the pets installed on the host that you run the custom-builder from. The pets (and it can also use Sfs files) that you wish to include in the new build will need to be either downloaded from the repo manually using the download only option of the ppm, the web link to the repo, or an ftp client and then added to the build folder while running the custom-builder. Once the custom-builder is finished these pets will remain in that folder so that you may use them again for another build if you choose to do so at a later time.

Yes, depending on how many pets/sfs files you add, your custom ISO file will certainly grow proportionally. The beauty here is that it will only contain the packages that you find desirable.

During the custom-build it will give you the option of modifying the directory structure. It's there that you can do things like adding your custom wallpapers, adding the /root/.purple directory if you use Pidgin, or the /root/.mozilla and root/.thunderbird folder to keep your bookmarks and mail account settings intact if you use Firefox and Thunderbird. You can even copy the /usr/local/Frisbee directory to the adrive directory structure to store your internet settings on your new build if you'd like (of course you wouldn't want to do that if you're going to be giving your creation to the neighbors).

Billtoo

#92 Post by Billtoo »

elroy wrote: When using the custom-builder to build either a new adrive and/or a custom ISO file, the custom-builder will not include the pets installed on the host that you run the custom-builder from. The pets (and it can also use Sfs files) that you wish to include in the new build will need to be either downloaded from the repo manually using the download only option of the ppm, the web link to the repo, or an ftp client and then added to the build folder while running the custom-builder. Once the custom-builder is finished these pets will remain in that folder so that you may use them again for another build if you choose to do so at a later time.

Yes, depending on how many pets/sfs files you add, your custom ISO file will certainly grow proportionally. The beauty here is that it will only contain the packages that you find desirable.

During the custom-build it will give you the option of modifying the directory structure. It's there that you can do things like adding your custom wallpapers, adding the /root/.purple directory if you use Pidgin, or the /root/.mozilla and root/.thunderbird folder to keep your bookmarks and mail account settings intact if you use Firefox and Thunderbird. You can even copy the /usr/local/Frisbee directory to the adrive directory structure to store your internet settings on your new build if you'd like (of course you wouldn't want to do that if you're going to be giving your creation to the neighbors).
I've used the remaster script in other versions of puppy a few times, I didn't go through the one in lina-lite carefully enough but the iso it created is working nice just the same and I'm happy with the result :)

rg66

#93 Post by rg66 »

Thanks Marv and Elroy, I got the fixed distro specs in place. I think it would have been easier to dl the 24MB delta file, but I did learn a few things so it was worth the effort.

sheldonisaac

#94 Post by sheldonisaac »

elroy wrote: 'lina-lite itself can be downloaded from here.
I downloaded -002 again.
Frugal installed.

Installed pmusic 3.01
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206

Can't play music from Internet streams.

Something about dependencies? libraries?
ffmpeg or gtkdialog ??

Any help will be much appreciated

elroy

#95 Post by elroy »

sheldonisaac wrote:
elroy wrote: 'lina-lite itself can be downloaded from here.
I downloaded -002 again.
Frugal installed.

Installed pmusic 3.01
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206

Can't play music from Internet streams.

Something about dependencies? libraries?
ffmpeg or gtkdialog ??

Any help will be much appreciated
Uninstall the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
Open the package manager and update the package lists.
Re-install the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
When you get to the following dialog...
...click 'Try to locate missing deps'. It will then download the ffmpeg-0.8.12-1-w5.pet (this one has the ability to do internet streaming. The gst-ffmpet-0.10.13-i486 does not). Ignore that it can't find gtkdialog - it's already installed. It will then download the pburn.pet. pMusic 3.0.1 should work (although not all of the stations will always work. You'll have to experiment to find working streams from the given choices). And be patient, pMusic is slow to load streams.

sheldonisaac

#96 Post by sheldonisaac »

(some snipping)
elroy wrote: Uninstall the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
Open the package manager and update the package lists.
Re-install the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
... download the ffmpeg-0.8.12-1-w5.pet (this one has the ability to do internet streaming.

pMusic 3.0.1 should work (although not all of the stations will always work. You'll have to experiment to find working streams from the given choices). And be patient, pMusic is slow to load streams.
THANK YOU!!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(11.65 KiB) Downloaded 1062 times

rg66

#97 Post by rg66 »

Replacing xfdesktop in /usr/bin with the one from saluki xfce-4.10.pet fixes the "dragging from the menu and dropping to the desktop removes the icon from the menu rather than copying it" problem.

Whether it changes anything else I'm not sure. I've only been using it for 10 min. so time will tell.

Edit: after 4 or 5 hours, no problems that I've noticed.

I've made a .pet to replace it and keep the old one as xfdesktop.bak just in case. Or dl the tar.gz and replace it manually.
You can get them here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=420

Restart X after!

elroy

'lina-lite-003 is available

#98 Post by elroy »

'lina-lite-003 is available. See the first post on this thread for links.

New to version 0.0.3:

* You can now drag items from the main menu to the desktop to create a shortcut without the item being removed from the menu.

* The Notifications setting in the control panel now works.

* On first run in the Personal Preferences dialog, the firewall button now works correctly.

* When opening the package manager, if you are connected to the internet, the Carolina package list is automatically updated for you.

The 003 ISO is bigger than 001, but smaller than 002. The .delta file is tiny. If you know how to use .delta files to create an ISO, this would be the easiest way of obtaining 'lina-lite-003.

EDIT: forgot to mention that this includes the latest version of gtkdiaklog4 (latest version as of Nov 26, 2012). This version has added support for Glade.

Sage

#99 Post by Sage »

003: Might be nice to be greeted by a marginally more encouraging wall paper (dark blue works well) and/or re-offer the 'single' option in CP - but don't get hung up on it, it's far less important.
So far most things working just fine - that it boots satisfactorily is the main essential and it does. Tried to upload some packages I rarely use - they did, but I need to discover what extras, not only dependencies, needed for best deployment.
Later.
Tempting to give it a spin on a Cyrix300 using the cmov workaround that Linus and crew don't speak too highly of. Problem is my C300 didn't make it after my move, but there is a Puppy fan around that still has one functioning. Might have to resort to my very last K6-II and ttuuxx's new 2.14 ?! Unless of course el wants to push the boundary himself...
NB. prelim comments on Carolina004 thread, notably why is lite slower?

mavrothal

#100 Post by mavrothal »

lina-lite-003 has xfce4 settings (xfconf and xfwm4) in /root/.config in the base sfs and /root/.config/xfce4 in adrv.
Is there a reason for this?
The base sfs will fail to get to the desktop without the adrive in this setting.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==