How to check my NTFS filesystem?

Booting, installing, newbie
Runemaster

How to check my NTFS filesystem?

#1 Post by Runemaster »

Hi, I'm currently trying to use gparted to create a decent size partition for my puppy, because all I've got now is 200mb left on my psp(which I use as a makeshift jump drive), and i cant resize my ntfs partition. It tells me i should check the file system for errors and (if possible) fix them. heres what im gettin.......\/

fluxit

#2 Post by fluxit »

I haven't had any luck resizing partitions with gparted. It does seem to work very well for deleting/creating/formatting however.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

If Windows still works, try booting it and running chkdisk (I think that's right; I'm not that familiar with Windows' tools anymore) to fix the NTFS errors, then shut Windows down (properly,) boot Puppy and run gparted.

Runemaster

#4 Post by Runemaster »

lol, its "chkdsk", and yea I've ran it several times but everytime I open the DOS prompt and type in chkdsk it says that it cannot run due to some file that is use by windows that it wants to scan, and then it asks me if i would like to run checkdisk at the next startup and i restart my computer and i let checkdisk run and when its done it reboots again and comes up and it doies the exact same thing..........................ALL I WANT TO DO IS RESIZE MY NTFS PARTITION!!!!!!!!!!!!! after that i can handle it from there.

Ohh yea, i figured out why i couldnt mont my ntfs partition at all while running in puppy, it was because i haddnt shut down windows properly, but I did not know at the time that this would be a factor in me being able to mount my ntfs partition.

Any tips and/or tools will be greatly appreciated :)

for now im stuck with 200mb partition in fat32, which i do not like at all....

Runemaster

#5 Post by Runemaster »

I got it fixed, it was I didnt shutdown Windows properly everytime i tried to do it, but I didnt know that that would affect resizing the partition lol

Justin

#6 Post by Justin »

This doesn't just apply to partitioning. A couple of days ago Windows hung at the end of shutdown and I just hit hard reset. When I booted into Puppy from the CD (with .3fs file on the hard drive), Puppy went into the keyboard and xorg configuration--it couldn't find the .3fs file on the hard drive because of the improper shutdown.

The funny thing is that the next time I booted Windows, it started normally--the error on the previous shutdown hadn't been enough to trip scandisk.

raffy

NTFS

#7 Post by raffy »

The question of this thread has answers in Windows itself - click on your hard drive (the NTFS one) then select Properties, and do "Check drive for errors" and "Defragment" (say "continue" even if the analysis says defragment in unnecessary), then shut down.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

pmshah

Curious

#8 Post by pmshah »

Just curious! How long did it take to resize the NTFS partition with gparted in Puppy?

Runemaster

#9 Post by Runemaster »

A minute maybe two. It was only cutting out bout 2.1 gigs though. But even if you did a large portion of it I don't think it would make you wait long. Lol all it's doing is telling the NTFS partition "hey you can't have this XXX amount of free space anymore" and just clears the filesystem and then it becomes unallocated because it has no filesystem nor any data. Lol to put it in sensible terms. I've had no problems with gparted and it works fairly well for me. The only reason I had this problem is because I created it lol without knowing it. UGH just the thought of using any kind of program that runs in Windows to partition a drive is horrible. its like saying "Wanna see what happens when I stick this magnet to your hard drive?" it just fucks everything up.

pmshah

#10 Post by pmshah »

Thanks runemaster.

The reason I asked was I have been using Partition Magic for the purpose & it seems to take for ever just to check the integrity of the partition. In fact in my case I am trying to increase the size & include free space beyond the partition.

I am planning to get a new 300 gb hdd in a weeks time. I will experiment on it to see the performance. I tried gparted but the graphical interface sucks. Very difficult to read the text.

BTW where is the option of starting gparted in Puppy? I could not find it in Puppy 2.02. I had to download the bootable iso for my trial. Sorry I stand corrected. I found it.