Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 13:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
'lina-lite - version 005
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 7 of 15 [225 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
Author Message
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 01:10    Post subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 002
Subject description: custom builder
 

Billtoo wrote:
I started with a frugal install of the fixed 002.iso.
I tried the custom builder for the first time, created an iso and did
a frugal install of that iso on another pc.
All of the pets that I added were there but the ones that I had added
with ppm weren't, I've added them back plus installed the proprietary
nvidia driver etc.
Suspend works on this pc where it didn't on my original 002 frugal
install on the other pc.
The iso grew to 236.5 mb

EDIT:I used the following pets:
a52dec-0.7.4-i686.pet
a52dec_DEV-0.7.4-i686.pet
ffmpeg-1.0-i686.pet
ffmpeg_DEV-1.0-i686.pet
kernel_headers-3.2.13-c.pet
libgcrypt-1.5.0-i686.pet
libgcrypt_DEV-1.5.0-i686.pet
libgpg-error-1.10-i686.pet
libgpg-error_DEV-1.10-i686.pet
linux_headers_DEV-3.2.8-ski.pet
ltris-1.0.18-i686.pet
mplayer-export-2012-11-22-i686.pet
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2-i686.pet
qt-everywhere-opensource-src_DEV-4.8.2-i686.pet
SDL-1.2.15-i686.pet
SDL_DEV-1.2.15-i686.pet
SDL_mixer-1.2.12-i686.pet
SDL_mixer_DEV-1.2.12-i686.pet
vlc-2.0.4-i686.pet
wavpack-4.60.1-i686.pet
wavpack_DEV-4.60.1-i686.pet
x264-snapshot-20121113-2245-i686.pet
x264-snapshot_DEV-20121113-2245-i686.pet
xine-lib-1.2.2-i686.pet
xine-lib_DEV-1.2.2-i686.pet
xine-ui-0.99.7-i686.pet
geany-1.22-i686.pet
geany_DEV-1.22-i686.pet
links-2.7-i686.pet

When using the custom-builder to build either a new adrive and/or a custom ISO file, the custom-builder will not include the pets installed on the host that you run the custom-builder from. The pets (and it can also use Sfs files) that you wish to include in the new build will need to be either downloaded from the repo manually using the download only option of the ppm, the web link to the repo, or an ftp client and then added to the build folder while running the custom-builder. Once the custom-builder is finished these pets will remain in that folder so that you may use them again for another build if you choose to do so at a later time.

Yes, depending on how many pets/sfs files you add, your custom ISO file will certainly grow proportionally. The beauty here is that it will only contain the packages that you find desirable.

During the custom-build it will give you the option of modifying the directory structure. It's there that you can do things like adding your custom wallpapers, adding the /root/.purple directory if you use Pidgin, or the /root/.mozilla and root/.thunderbird folder to keep your bookmarks and mail account settings intact if you use Firefox and Thunderbird. You can even copy the /usr/local/Frisbee directory to the adrive directory structure to store your internet settings on your new build if you'd like (of course you wouldn't want to do that if you're going to be giving your creation to the neighbors).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 2185
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 01:29    Post subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 002
Subject description: custom builder
 

elroy wrote:

When using the custom-builder to build either a new adrive and/or a custom ISO file, the custom-builder will not include the pets installed on the host that you run the custom-builder from. The pets (and it can also use Sfs files) that you wish to include in the new build will need to be either downloaded from the repo manually using the download only option of the ppm, the web link to the repo, or an ftp client and then added to the build folder while running the custom-builder. Once the custom-builder is finished these pets will remain in that folder so that you may use them again for another build if you choose to do so at a later time.

Yes, depending on how many pets/sfs files you add, your custom ISO file will certainly grow proportionally. The beauty here is that it will only contain the packages that you find desirable.

During the custom-build it will give you the option of modifying the directory structure. It's there that you can do things like adding your custom wallpapers, adding the /root/.purple directory if you use Pidgin, or the /root/.mozilla and root/.thunderbird folder to keep your bookmarks and mail account settings intact if you use Firefox and Thunderbird. You can even copy the /usr/local/Frisbee directory to the adrive directory structure to store your internet settings on your new build if you'd like (of course you wouldn't want to do that if you're going to be giving your creation to the neighbors).


I've used the remaster script in other versions of puppy a few times, I didn't go through the one in lina-lite carefully enough but the iso it created is working nice just the same and I'm happy with the result Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rg66


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 620
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada / Entebbe, Uganda Africa!?!

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 02:04    Post subject:  

Thanks Marv and Elroy, I got the fixed distro specs in place. I think it would have been easier to dl the 24MB delta file, but I did learn a few things so it was worth the effort.
_________________
X-slacko-2.3 - X-precise-2.4 - Carolite-1.2 - Carolina-1.2
X-slacko new repo
X-precise/X-slacko
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sheldonisaac

Joined: 21 Jun 2009
Posts: 449
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 15:18    Post subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 002
Subject description: Help with pmusic
 

elroy wrote:

'lina-lite itself can be downloaded from here.

I downloaded -002 again.
Frugal installed.

Installed pmusic 3.01
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206

Can't play music from Internet streams.

Something about dependencies? libraries?
ffmpeg or gtkdialog ??

Any help will be much appreciated
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 01:06    Post subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 002
Subject description: Help with pmusic
 

sheldonisaac wrote:
elroy wrote:

'lina-lite itself can be downloaded from here.

I downloaded -002 again.
Frugal installed.

Installed pmusic 3.01
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206

Can't play music from Internet streams.

Something about dependencies? libraries?
ffmpeg or gtkdialog ??

Any help will be much appreciated

Uninstall the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
Open the package manager and update the package lists.
Re-install the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
When you get to the following dialog...

...click 'Try to locate missing deps'. It will then download the ffmpeg-0.8.12-1-w5.pet (this one has the ability to do internet streaming. The gst-ffmpet-0.10.13-i486 does not). Ignore that it can't find gtkdialog - it's already installed. It will then download the pburn.pet. pMusic 3.0.1 should work (although not all of the stations will always work. You'll have to experiment to find working streams from the given choices). And be patient, pMusic is slow to load streams.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sheldonisaac

Joined: 21 Jun 2009
Posts: 449
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 09:30    Post subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 002
Subject description: Help with pmusic
 

(some snipping)
elroy wrote:

Uninstall the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
Open the package manager and update the package lists.
Re-install the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
... download the ffmpeg-0.8.12-1-w5.pet (this one has the ability to do internet streaming.

pMusic 3.0.1 should work (although not all of the stations will always work. You'll have to experiment to find working streams from the given choices). And be patient, pMusic is slow to load streams.

THANK YOU!!
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   11.65 KB
 Viewed   1012 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rg66


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 620
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada / Entebbe, Uganda Africa!?!

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 06:05    Post subject:  

Replacing xfdesktop in /usr/bin with the one from saluki xfce-4.10.pet fixes the "dragging from the menu and dropping to the desktop removes the icon from the menu rather than copying it" problem.

Whether it changes anything else I'm not sure. I've only been using it for 10 min. so time will tell.

Edit: after 4 or 5 hours, no problems that I've noticed.

I've made a .pet to replace it and keep the old one as xfdesktop.bak just in case. Or dl the tar.gz and replace it manually.
You can get them here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81312&start=420

Restart X after!

_________________
X-slacko-2.3 - X-precise-2.4 - Carolite-1.2 - Carolina-1.2
X-slacko new repo
X-precise/X-slacko
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov 2012, 17:08    Post subject: 'lina-lite-003 is available  

'lina-lite-003 is available. See the first post on this thread for links.

New to version 0.0.3:

* You can now drag items from the main menu to the desktop to create a shortcut without the item being removed from the menu.

* The Notifications setting in the control panel now works.

* On first run in the Personal Preferences dialog, the firewall button now works correctly.

* When opening the package manager, if you are connected to the internet, the Carolina package list is automatically updated for you.

The 003 ISO is bigger than 001, but smaller than 002. The .delta file is tiny. If you know how to use .delta files to create an ISO, this would be the easiest way of obtaining 'lina-lite-003.

EDIT: forgot to mention that this includes the latest version of gtkdiaklog4 (latest version as of Nov 26, 2012). This version has added support for Glade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4833
Location: GB

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2012, 09:21    Post subject:  

003: Might be nice to be greeted by a marginally more encouraging wall paper (dark blue works well) and/or re-offer the 'single' option in CP - but don't get hung up on it, it's far less important.
So far most things working just fine - that it boots satisfactorily is the main essential and it does. Tried to upload some packages I rarely use - they did, but I need to discover what extras, not only dependencies, needed for best deployment.
Later.
Tempting to give it a spin on a Cyrix300 using the cmov workaround that Linus and crew don't speak too highly of. Problem is my C300 didn't make it after my move, but there is a Puppy fan around that still has one functioning. Might have to resort to my very last K6-II and ttuuxx's new 2.14 ?! Unless of course el wants to push the boundary himself...
NB. prelim comments on Carolina004 thread, notably why is lite slower?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mavrothal


Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 1897

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2012, 15:12    Post subject:  

lina-lite-003 has xfce4 settings (xfconf and xfwm4) in /root/.config in the base sfs and /root/.config/xfce4 in adrv.
Is there a reason for this?
The base sfs will fail to get to the desktop without the adrive in this setting.

_________________
Kids all over the world go around with an XO laptop. They deserve one puppy (or many) too Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:30    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
lina-lite-003 has xfce4 settings (xfconf and xfwm4) in /root/.config in the base sfs and /root/.config/xfce4 in adrv.
Is there a reason for this?
The base sfs will fail to get to the desktop without the adrive in this setting.

Yes, human error. I'll fix that in the next release. It is also the case with Carolina, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Peterm321

Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Posts: 244

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2012, 20:01    Post subject:  

Experience of LINA_LITE_003 on a "Cedar Trail" Netbook

(Intel GMA 3600 / Realtek ALC272 sound)

On the plus side glxgears works, albeit slowly. I have tried Slacko and Swiftlinux: sound works on these but not glxgears.

The main difficulty with LINA LITE 003 is that the sound modules have been apparently compromised by the admittedly problematic cedar trail hardware in some way.

This is not limited to Lina, Saluki 009 works and Saluki 023 doesn't (neither did precise puppy) It may be related to the GMA500 drivers that produce an error in dmesg, in particular psb_gfx.ko produces a stack trace.

Most of the /dev/snd devices are not created, NB /dev/dsp is not created. The snd_intel_hda kernel modules get loaded. As far as the [other] kernels which do detect and load sound OK, in comparison it appears the right modules seem to get loaded in Lina except for the snd_realtek_codec that is not loaded.

Strace reveals that reloading alsa /etc/init.d/10alsa restart hangs on loading snd_seq_oss.ko and and snd_hda_intel.ko, the module state is held in a pending state and modprobe has to be manually killed off.

The Kernel does not allow forced removal of modules. snd_hda_intel refuses to unload.

The strace utility may be worth worth including in the Lina lite system.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Marv


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 402
Location: SW Wisconsin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2012, 22:10    Post subject: Standalone lina-lite-003  

Hi elroy,

Been remastering LL-002 as standalones, adding bugfixes, menus, themes... They have diverged quite a bit so for simplicity I started from scratch with 003, seeing what was the minimum I had to add to get a viable standalone SFS. I used the Nov 27 lina-xfce-4.10.pet as a base, fixed a couple of minor things, added in my panel and menu config files, made the Application Finder.desktop Toplevel so it could be merged, disabled firstrun by changing permissions otherwise it overwrote the panel config. Unsquashed the sfs, opened up group permissons, and manually added the 'pet'. I cannot get the tgz to upload. I know it's a good file.?? Anyway, a screenshot of the standalone is attached. SFS now 76MB. Everything else from here can be easily added by pet or sfs.

A couple of thoughts looking at the base SFS and the Nov 27 lina-xfce-4.20.pet:

1: The base SFS has the tumbler-1 symlink, no library file. The pet has the library file, no symlink. They are tiny, give both both.
2: The base has the correct and latest fstab rules in etc/udev/rules.d. The pet has the version with the separate cddetect-xfce script, but with the rules in /etc/rules.d. I put the latest version in /etc/udev/rules.d in my pet and eliminated the cddect-xfce script.
Standalone.jpg
 Description   Standalone lina-lite-003 with slightly modified menu and panel
 Filesize   54.97 KB
 Viewed   628 Time(s)

Standalone.jpg


_________________
Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 2.3n, Lxpup-Tahr, and not to forget trusty Carolina/Carolite (now with 3.14.20 kernel). All lean and steady pups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2012, 22:50    Post subject: Re: Standalone lina-lite-003  

Marv wrote:
Hi elroy,

Been remastering LL-002 as standalones, adding bugfixes, menus, themes... They have diverged quite a bit so for simplicity I started from scratch with 003, seeing what was the minimum I had to add to get a viable standalone SFS. I used the Nov 27 lina-xfce-4.10.pet as a base, fixed a couple of minor things, added in my panel and menu config files, made the Application Finder.desktop Toplevel so it could be merged, disabled firstrun by changing permissions otherwise it overwrote the panel config. Unsquashed the sfs, opened up group permissons, and manually added the 'pet'. I cannot get the tgz to upload. I know it's a good file.?? Anyway, a screenshot of the standalone is attached. SFS now 76MB. Everything else from here can be easily added by pet or sfs.

A couple of thoughts looking at the base SFS and the Nov 27 lina-xfce-4.20.pet:

1: The base SFS has the tumbler-1 symlink, no library file. The pet has the library file, no symlink. They are tiny, give both both.
2: The base has the correct and latest fstab rules in etc/udev/rules.d. The pet has the version with the separate cddetect-xfce script, but with the rules in /etc/rules.d. I put the latest version in /etc/udev/rules.d in my pet and eliminated the cddect-xfce script.

Thanks for the info, Marv. Yeah, for the next version, I'm gonna have to revisit the xfce stuff. I wanted to make it more modular to allow someone to remove it if they'd like a different window manager, but it seems it'd be a better idea to place it in the base sfs. That way even with an empty adrive the desktop would still be there. I've got a few things to think about concerning that, and how to implement it cleanly. I'm guessing that there will be a few more bug-fix versions before a release candidate makes an appearance.

If you find anything else, please let me know, either here or by pm if applicable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Marv


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 402
Location: SW Wisconsin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2012, 23:12    Post subject: Standalone lina-lite-003  

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Marv. Yeah, for the next version, I'm gonna have to revisit the xfce stuff. I wanted to make it more modular to allow someone to remove it if they'd like a different window manager, but it seems it'd be a better idea to place it in the base sfs. That way even with an empty adrive the desktop would still be there. I've got a few things to think about concerning that, and how to implement it cleanly. I'm guessing that there will be a few more bug-fix versions before a release candidate makes an appearance.


It really made life simpler having it separate with xfce moving from 4.80 to 4.10 and all the expected speedbumps. Once the xfce is settled down AND we're all more used to it, I like having it in the main sfs, but precious little else. I'm going to do a bit of theme pruning and then use the standalone as my daily.

Edited Nov 28: After pruning, main sfs size now 64.6MB. Using daily.

Thanks for supporting the lite sandbox for the tinkers.

_________________
Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 2.3n, Lxpup-Tahr, and not to forget trusty Carolina/Carolite (now with 3.14.20 kernel). All lean and steady pups.

Last edited by Marv on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 12:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 7 of 15 [225 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1204s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0086s) ][ GZIP on ]