Problem installing Crashplan in Slacko 5.3.3

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

Problem installing Crashplan in Slacko 5.3.3

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I have never had any problems installing Crashplan in Lucid 5.2.8 or even Saluki, but for some reason, I can't in Slacko. Any idea why? This is what I get:

Code: Select all

CrasCrashPlan_3.4.1.cpi  install.defaults      README
EULA.txt             install.sh            scripts
INSTALL              jre1.6.0_25_i586.tgz  uninstall.sh
# ./install.sh
./install.sh: line 27: who: command not found

Welcome to the CrashPlan Installer.

Press enter to continue with installation. 

Validating environment...
  detected root permissions
ERROR: who not found and is required for install. Exiting
# 

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

It would appear you need the coreutils pkg. If no:

Code: Select all

which who
.. install via PPM..

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks!

I will see if it is in the Slako repos and install it. I never heard of this utility before. That's what I love about Linux. You never stop learning. :)

rmcellig

#4 Post by rmcellig »

I installed coreutils 6.9-7-p4, restarted X and tried to install Crashplan again with the same error. Any ideas?

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Does: which who result in /usr/bin/who? Install this'n run ldconfig- retry. Attach a copy of the readme..

I gather you didn't install coreutils from PPM? Perhaps there's an even later build- the one for Slack 14?

rmcellig

#6 Post by rmcellig »

I installed it from the Slacko PPM but I will see if there is another version out there I can install. Thanks for getting back to me!!

Quick question, do I have to keep all the files that are in my .packages folder or can I move them outside of my root folder to free up space in my save file?

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Rt-clk that directory and goto props.. they shouldn't amount to much- right?

I think they're there for uninstall information.. and not that PPM ever removes everything anyway..

In other words.. if you don't mind manual removal- adios!

In my opinion- I couldn't bother..

npierce

#8 Post by npierce »

rmcellig wrote:I installed coreutils 6.9-7-p4, restarted X and tried to install Crashplan again with the same error. Any ideas?
The version of coreutils that you installed via the PPM, coreutils 6.9-7-p4, (probably from the puppy-common repository) was likely the best choice available, but that version doesn't contain the "who" utility. So why do I say it was the best choice? It was the best choice because it did no damage. In fact, it is the same package that comes already installed on Slacko 5.3.3. It didn't solve your problem, but it didn't create new ones.

The Puppy Package Manager's ability to install packages from the repositories of other distros has certainly given us added flexibility and power. It is a great to have this ability available. But, as is the case in any field, added power doesn't come without added danger, and the need for added caution.

While there is, of course, some potential danger in installing any package (which is why it is good to have a recent backup of one's save file handy), extra caution is merited when considering installing a package from a non-Puppy repository if a Puppy version of that package is already installed on Puppy. The existing Puppy version may have been specially modified to work with Puppy, while the package from the other distro's repository has not.

Such is the case with coreutils.

For instance, back in 2006 Barry wrote a utility called "truncate", which is used to truncate the length of a file. A couple of years later (on 2008-Oct-10), the GNU folks released coreutils 7.0 which, among other things, added a new utility which can also be used for truncating a file. Guess what they called it? Yes, they called it "truncate".

So if you install a recent version of a non-Puppyized coreutils package, the new GNU truncate will be installed to /bin/ or /usr/bin/ (depending on the distro it was built for). If it is installed to /usr/bin/, it overwrites Barry's version. If it is installed to /bin/, it doesn't overwrite Barry's version, which is in /usr/bin/, but because /bin/ comes before /usr/bin/ in $PATH, the GNU version will be run when truncate is called (unless the full "/usr/bin/truncate" pathname is used).

Barry's truncate is used by his pet2tgz script, which is used by the package manager (PPM). And while the new GNU truncate is similar, the arguments need to be passed differently, so it is incompatible with Puppy scripts. What this means is that if you install a recent version of coreutils from a non-Puppy repository, you will likely loose the ability to install .pet packages with the PPM (until you remove the offending truncate).

There is at least one other compatibility issue that I am aware of. Some Puppies (including your Slacko 5.3.3) have both a Barry script called "df" and a binary called "df-FULL". The binary is the GNU utility which has been renamed from "df", and the script calls the GNU utility and massages its output to be compatible with other Puppy scripts. If Barry's script isn't found, the device mounted on / will be incorrectly identified for folks with full installs of Puppy.

And if you go too far afield, you can run into dependency problems. I once mistakenly installed a coreutils package on Slacko that I had previously downloaded sometime. It wasn't from either a Puppy repository or a Slackware repository, so it is no surprise that it caused problems. (I think it was built for Debian.) Many of its utilities had been compiled with a library that Slacko doesn't have. (I think it was libselinux.) Not only did those utilities not work, but, of course, everything that depended on them -- including ROX-Filer and the PPM -- had problems. The only way I could recover was to use /initrd/pup_ro2/bin/cp to copy itself and the other utilities to /bin/.

Of course that mistake was simply a result of my own foolishness. I would not expect a dependency problem if you grabbed coreutils from a Slackware 13 repository for Slacko.

Anyway, since you only need the "who" utility, I would recommend installing only that. To save you the trouble of finding an appropriate coreutils package for Slacko, and extracting the "who" utility from it, I have attached a version of "who" that works with Slacko 5.3.3. Choose to open it with pupzip, decompress it, set the executable permissions with chmod or ROX-Filer, then move it to /usr/bin/.

Good luck.
Attachments
who.gz
who 8.11 utility, for use with Slacko 5.3.3
(18.85 KiB) Downloaded 564 times

rmcellig

#9 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks so much for the explanation as well as the Who utility!!

npierce

#10 Post by npierce »

You're welcome.