Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 23:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 43 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 17:53    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Bug fix to be carried to the woof ?

Hopefully!

Attached is what I'll be putting in Slacko-5.4 rc2. I have moved the call down to allow for responsible service scripts. (ie YASSM, network_roxapp)
rc.shutdown.gz
Description  This has the ntfs fix, goes in /etc/rc.d, try it if you like @ pfix=ram , save to an ntfs filesystem
gz

Download 
Filename  rc.shutdown.gz 
Filesize  10.27 KB 
Downloaded  284 Time(s) 

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 18:54    Post subject:  

Here was my test procedure.

1. Booted off the Live CD. It found the sfs on the hard drive.

2. Selected all the defaults and immediately made a save file on an NTFS flash drive. There WAS a network connection, so I don't know how that's significant.

3. Rebooted. The save file was detected, followed by a kernel panic!

4. Repeated using "umount-FULL". No problems.
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 19:10    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Here was my test procedure.

1. Booted off the Live CD. It found the sfs on the hard drive.

2. Selected all the defaults and immediately made a save file on an NTFS flash drive. There WAS a network connection, so I don't know how that's significant.

3. Rebooted. The save file was detected, followed by a kernel panic!

4. Repeated using "umount-FULL". No problems.
So looks like the fix is good then..

BTW, we got a prompt woof fix Smile

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 19:37    Post subject:  

I repeated the procedure with both Wary 5.3 and Slacko 533 and got identical results. If I opened the bad save file from another Puppy, it was empty.

It's odd that when the save file is on an NTFS hard drive partition, it sometimes works.
01micko

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 20:59    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
It's odd that when the save file is on an NTFS hard drive partition, it sometimes works.

My best explanation for this behaviour is that the buggy busybox umount isn't happy until it's found something it can unmount.

For example; more often than not if I'm testing on one of my other machines I'll connect with curl ftp to my main machine to get quick access to files I have edited and such. I was doing this testing shutdown scripts and wasn't getting the bug. So my best explanation for that was that busybox umount was unmounting the curlftpfs and then it was happy. I guess curlftpfs should be one of the umount arguments. I could reproduce the bug 100% of the time when I didn't connect. Took me awhile to figure that one out!

Still, that doesn't explain why it would sometimes work if you had a connection but definitely didn't mount anything over the network. Just a buggy busybox applet I guess.

Q5sys

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 21:05    Post subject:  

Perhaps an odd request... but is there anyway we can get the IRC client to assign default nicks like it did in the past (I think it assigned by hostname, it was something like pupuserc627d8 where the last 6 are a hex value).

Its getting really confusing in the freenode #puppylinux room, because people are assigned defualt names in numerical order.
It has happened more than once that we are helping someone who has the nick Spupuser1, and in the middle they've gotten disconnected. They rejoin soon enough but someone else has joined before them so that new person gets spupuser1 and the old person gets spupuser2.
All we see is the disconnect and reconnect. So we assume we are helping the same person. Unless we happen to look at the IP reconnect info in detail we dont realize there is a difference.

I've seen it happen a few times where we continue to assist the first person but since we are addressing them as spupuser1 (since thats what they were) we end up having a new person doing things to their system that might have nothing to do with them and could cause them issues if we are trying to work through a config issue with someone.

The way the old systems used to work the person could disconnect and rejoin within a short period of time and still have the same nick. This made help sessions in irc a bit eaiser to manager if a person has to be logging in and out.
I've seen this happen several times when people were trying to work out their x.org drivers and had to drop out of X and then back in and reconnect.

just a simple request. Is there a reason this was changed... or was it just something that happened to change without any thought or intention?

tlchost

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 00:21    Post subject:  

[quote="Q5sys"

Its getting really confusing in the freenode #puppylinux room, because people are assigned defualt names in numerical order.[/quote]

That's why some of us suggest that a user with a "default" nick create a nick of their own.

Thom
Q5sys

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 01:37    Post subject:  

tlchost wrote:
Q5sys wrote:

Its getting really confusing in the freenode #puppylinux room, because people are assigned defualt names in numerical order.

That's why some of us suggest that a user with a "default" nick create a nick of their own.

Thom

I understand that, but when you are dealing with trying to help someone with very little computer skill do something, it's sometimes best not to futher confuse them by trying to walk them through how to register an irc nick and and configure their IRC client properly... which has nothing to do with the reason they came into the channel in the first place.
Yes I agree that someone who is going to be hanging out or will be around for a while should register a nick. But for a person just trying to get quick help on an immediate problem... they dont care about their nick... they just want to get their issue resolved.

Its a easy fix (I'd think) to go back to the old default nick system. And one that would help eliminate some confusion with new/inexperienced users when they come looking for help.

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 02:10    Post subject:  

Q5sys

What is the limit of chars of a nick on IRC?

Here's what I can do:
Code:
if [ -f $HOME/.xchat2/xchat.conf ];then
      sed -i -e "s|spupuser|slacko${HOSTNAME:5}|" \
            -e  "s|spupuser1|slacko${HOSTNAME:5}1|" \
            -e "s|spupuser2|slacko${HOSTNAME:5}2|" \
            $HOME/.xchat2/xchat.conf
  fi
If a user keeps the standard "puppypc12345" hostname (it's actually $RANDOM") then they would end up with slackopc12345, slackopc123451 and slackopc123452, all random of course except for the appended 1 and 2. That code can run once and only once in /usr/sbin/delayedrun.

It worked fine on the commandline and should in the script, I'll test when I do a build later tonight.

Ha... I'll just go on IRC and find out! (By the way, $HOSTNAME has a limit of 15 chars by convention)

Q5sys

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 02:15    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Q5sys

What is the limit of chars of a nick on IRC?

Not sure... depends on how the IRCD is configured. I've only messed around with unreal before... freenode uses ircd-seven... so I have no idea on nick limits. But Id guess 12~16 chars probably.

Q5sys

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 02:16    Post subject:  

oh wait there you are in the IRC now testing it. Razz
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 02:37    Post subject:  

Q5sys wrote:
oh wait there you are in the IRC now testing it. Razz
yep

anyway, I shortened it a bit, it's just "slacko${RANDOM}" .. now, so the max will be 12 chars.

Cheers

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:30    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
BTW, we got a prompt woof fix Smile

And it's in the new Precise service pack.

Hopefully, jades will confirm that it solves his problem in Slacko.
Jades

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 16:33    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Hopefully, jades will confirm that it solves his problem in Slacko.

I'll report back tomorrow once I've had a chance to test it, hopefully in the afternoon. Not my turn on the Pentium D today, and new puppies other than Wary haven't worked on the K6 for several months due to lack of cmov.

With regard to 01micko's comment about saving to NTFS being a bad idea, I do see the point but thought it would be a more common thing than it seems to be. The theory is that a user would be booting LiveCD with the pupsave on the hard drive as a way to try out Puppy without interfering with their existing Windows install. This is basically the situation with the Pentium D, which I share with my brother. I do have some saves on USB stick and my phone, but prefer to use the hard drive as it's quicker and also I don't need to remember where I left the stick I need this time.

My K6 machine does have an assortment of partitions on it, but that's my personal machine and I needed to partitiion the drive anyway since it was bigger than the size limit supported by Win98 (effectively 20GB) - the main aim with that machine was to play old games natively rather than messing about with DOSbox and the like.

Sage

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 17:08    Post subject:  

Several folks are reporting NTFS issues with different Puppies at this time. Not sure I subscribe to the above rationale. Testing these distros on a Windoze machine is a fine idea, but it doesn't strike me as logical to save alien OS files on there. If folks like what they see, there might be much better options. Top of the list has to be Gparted Wdoze into oblivion, it isn't difficult even for neophytes. My experience of a range of ages and abilities is that folks finishing with the devil's OS once and for all makes them ecstatically happy! Alternatives, esp. if the machine in question is shared, include second HDs which are dirt cheap on eBay for the size demands of Puppy, caddies, USB sticks (mentioned above), external HDs, other solutions also available. Most of Puppies' finest attributes can be had within modest confines. Why not another -[ oh, yes, older! ] - piece of hardware from the local boot sale, neighbour's spoilt kids, in the loft/garage/under the bed, for example. Just what is it that folks want to do that needs another Echelon in this world! Anyone living within range is welcome to select from my retinue of entirely suitable machines, gratis. Or I'll build to their spec. at cost.
Slackware is the oldest continuously supported open distro and defers to many of the classic tenets of the genre; Slacko provides best-of-breed in the compact distro kennel.
It seems to do games, videos & musak editing, which, although not its prime directive, would normally be accomplished on larger machines/distros, games consoles, studio sets and the like.
Horses,courses.
Page 43 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: