(SOLVED)No Bold text in Firefox

Booting, installing, newbie
Foucault

(SOLVED)No Bold text in Firefox

#1 Post by Foucault »

I swear that I used to be able to see bold text in Firefox, and I believe (I'm quite prepared to admit it if I'm wrong!) that since installing 2.03CE that I've lost the ability to see bold text in Firefox.

And I don't think it's just Firefox. I just prepared two pieces of text in Composer, one with bold, one without, and when previewed, they looked exactly the same.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Foucault on Sat 02 Sep 2006, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

bold text
italic text
underlined text
normal boring text

Can you see those?

I don't know how to help though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

MU

#3 Post by MU »

That depends on the fonts.
Example:
you copy the arial font from Windows to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/

Firefox/seamonkey will use it then, as arial is set as standard-font in many webpages.

But arial consists of several files, so if you did not copy all of them, you have no bold.

There are also some fonts, that seem to have no bold, especially some unicode-fonts.
As this Puppy was made by hacao, I could think he added a unicode-font capable of displaying vietnamese.

You might try to choose another font in the firefox settings, and copy one from another Puppy.

Or use the font Deja-vu:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8417

You also might try to rename /root/.fonts , maybe that folder contains the font that cannot display bold or italic.

Mark

MU

#4 Post by MU »

here is a screenshot of Mozilla with the DejaVu-font (Puppy 108):

Mảk

Foucault

#5 Post by Foucault »

Pizzasgood wrote:bold text
italic text
underlined text
normal boring text

Can you see those?

I don't know how to help though.
I see the italic, underlined and of course the normal boring. But bold text comes out looking exactly the same as the normal boring.

Foucault

#6 Post by Foucault »

I must say it puzzles me that, as 2.03CE is being touted as the version to obtain (at least if you go to the front page of the Wiki), and that a considerable number of non-Vietnamese people will probably want to obtain this version, these fonts seem to be broken.

Anyway, thanks for your help, Mark. Unfortunately, I am unable to progress. Comments in and amongst yours:
MU wrote:That depends on the fonts.
Example:
you copy the arial font from Windows to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/
Unfortunately, I don't have a directory named "TTF" in my fonts directory. I have "misc" and "Type1"
You might try to choose another font in the firefox settings, and copy one from another Puppy.
Interestingly enough, when I opened the Firefox preferences, I found that I could select some different fonts for serif, sans-serif, etc. I could even choose "arial" - however, although the font changed in firefox (as long as I chose to override the default with my own choices), I still have no bold.
You also might try to rename /root/.fonts , maybe that folder contains the font that cannot display bold or italic.
Mark
Unfortunately, I don't have a file named .fonts in my /root directory (even when I unhide). I do have a file named .fonts-cache-1

MU

#7 Post by MU »

try the dejavu-font.
Mark

Foucault

#8 Post by Foucault »

MU wrote:try the dejavu-font.
Mark
I get as far as the install and I get the message:

"These files already exist, overwrite them?

- /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/immodules/im-xim.la"

Do I want to overwrite this?

MU

#9 Post by MU »

yes, you can overwrite that.
Mark

Foucault

#10 Post by Foucault »

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark. While this is a lovely, clear font, I still have no bold text. Any other ideas?

MU

#11 Post by MU »

no, unfortunately not.
Just tried it again in Puppy 2.10 alpha with Mozilla and firefox (X.org), and in Puppy 109 in firefox (Xvesa).
All display bold text, I have no further idea at moment...
Mark

Foucault

SOLVED!

#12 Post by Foucault »

OK, I've got it! In firefox, I have a couple of places to change the font. Firstly, on the "Content" tab in Firefox, I have the "Default Font" - changing that to one of the deja-vu fonts results in the fonts changing, but with no bold available. Clicking on the "Advanced" button allows me to override the default.

So, I substituted the deja-vu fonts for each of the settings (Proportional, serif, sans-serif, etc), and now I have bold fonts.

Thanks for all your help