desktop icons and fonts disappear after PPM installs program

Booting, installing, newbie
hopeful

desktop icons and fonts disappear after PPM installs program

#1 Post by hopeful »

Hi, I'm new to Linux so am not sure what I have done wrong.

I did a complete install of Puppy Linux precise 5.4.1, and was happy with the end result.

When I tried to install a program with the puppy packet manager, it was then my troubles began!

As I tried to install Open Office I checked if there were any dependencies. Oh so many to choose from and which ones did i really need and which ones didn't I? So I chose them all.

Part way through the install the desktop fonts turned to little rectangle boxes and by the end all the icons on the desktop were triangles with question marks as well. The JWM is still fine as the menu items can all still be read but as soon as I launched a program the fonts were little rectangle boxes and unreadable.

I reinstalled Puppy and tried to install OOo again without the dependencies. Same issue. Reinstalled again! Searched the forums but couldn't find how to restore the desktop. Tried to install two different programs (one of which was wine) but same problem.

So my questions are, can i restore the desktop or do I need to reinstall again? And How do I install programs in a way that doesn't make most things unreadable?
Also how do I install a program that isn't in the PPM list (because that is what I expect I will also need to do at some point in the future).

Thanks for all the work done on puppy, I really like the philosophy driving it.

Barkin

#2 Post by Barkin »

I think OpenOffice needs something called JAVA (JRE) to be installed first ...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63216&sid=301f63e4a4a56405f067cc96100554bc